Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My very first thread on this board, mother would be so proud. :D

Can anyone on here recommend any good books/methods/material for tackling stress and emotional difficulties? This is a fairly recurring problem for me and in fact I was treated for symptoms of BPD a couple of years back. Recently some things have come up that have reignited the problem and I really need to learn to keep tabs on it.

Any thoughts/ideas?

·
Beautiful Mess
1,284 Posts
I recommend :The New Mood Therapy Book by David Burns, MD.

·
Banned
82 Posts
UK Probe,

Someone here in this section of the forum posted a glowing review of a book called "Complete Confidence" written by Sheenah Hankin, Ph.D. The guy that wrote the post said the book changed his life. This person was giving the book all kinds of high praise. So for that reason I ordered the book and have received it a few weeks ago. I just recently have gotten around to reading it (I've been busy lately) and so far I am about two-thirds the way through the book. Now this is just my opinion, but to me the book doesn't necessarily focus on confidence but instead talks about thinking with your rational mind instead of thinking and reacting with your feelings. It says if you follow your feelings then that is generally a mistake. The author also makes it a point for us to stop being a victim and thinking like a victim, and to stop feeling sorry for ourselves and to stop having self-pity for ourselves. There is of course more to the book than just those ideas, but those are some of the big points it makes.

As I said, I haven't finished reading the book yet. But from what I have read so far, it is a good, worthy book to read. It has some good ideas and the author makes good points throughout the book. However, I haven't had quite the enthusiasm and high praise for the book as the other guy did (the guy that initially posted his review of the book here). Then again, there are probably those here who think I probably give too much praise to the "No More Mr. Nice Guy" book and the toxic shame books that I recommend.

Even though I do feel the "No More Mr. Nice Guy" book is a better read than the "Complete Confidence" book, I still think Complete Confidence is a worthy book to read and you can put its ideas to use to help manage your feelings.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I recommend :The New Mood Therapy Book by David Burns, MD.
Cheers, i'll look out for that.

UK Probe,

Someone here in this section of the forum posted a glowing review of a book called "Complete Confidence" written by Sheenah Hankin, Ph.D. The guy that wrote the post said the book changed his life. This person was giving the book all kinds of high praise. So for that reason I ordered the book and have received it a few weeks ago. I just recently have gotten around to reading it (I've been busy lately) and so far I am about two-thirds the way through the book. Now this is just my opinion, but to me the book doesn't necessarily focus on confidence but instead talks about thinking with your rational mind instead of thinking and reacting with your feelings. It says if you follow your feelings then that is generally a mistake. The author also makes it a point for us to stop being a victim and thinking like a victim, and to stop feeling sorry for ourselves and to stop having self-pity for ourselves. There is of course more to the book than just those ideas, but those are some of the big points it makes.
You keep spelling my username wrong. ;)

I'm not someone who generally plays the victim card, thinks like a victim, feels sorry for myself or endulges in self pity. Regardless of feelings i don't always act on them and actually do seem to have a high level of emotional intelligence. The problem is that for some reason i seem to have a fairly low tollerence for stress and emotions that surface easier then they should. As i said i was treated for some symptoms of BPD and have also been treated for PTSD.

I will look out for that book though and see what it entails.

·
Banned
82 Posts
Cheers, i'll look out for that.

You keep spelling my username wrong. ;)

I'm not someone who generally plays the victim card, thinks like a victim, feels sorry for myself or endulges in self pity. Regardless of feelings i don't always act on them and actually do seem to have a high level of emotional intelligence. The problem is that for some reason i seem to have a fairly low tollerence for stress and emotions that surface easier then they should. As i said i was treated for some symptoms of BPD and have also been treated for PTSD.

I will look out for that book though and see what it entails.
Oh my gosh... I'm sorry about my mistake with your name! LOL. When I first saw your name I somehow read it as "UK Probe", and for some reason I never did look closely at your name again. I just had that name stuck in my brain and that is why I never closely looked at your name anymore after that. I just don't know how I continuously did not notice the true spelling of your name. I am so glad you pointed it out to me.

So let me try to get your name right this time in response to your above post:

UKPhobe, I hope I didn't come across in my previous post that I was hinting that you felt like a victim and was indulged in self-pity. Because that was not my intent. What I was doing was basically giving a review of the book. Since you mentioned in your original post that you wanted a book that tackles the issues of stress and emotional difficulties, I recommended the Complete Confidence book because it generally handled those issues.

Here is a link to the book. There is also a couple of short videos at this link of the author talking about the book.

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Conf...=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1214518730&sr=8-5

·
Banned
497 Posts
My very first thread on this board, mother would be so proud. :D

Can anyone on here recommend any good books/methods/material for tackling stress and emotional difficulties? This is a fairly recurring problem for me and in fact I was treated for symptoms of BPD a couple of years back. Recently some things have come up that have reignited the problem and I really need to learn to keep tabs on it.

Any thoughts/ideas?
time line therapy is the mother of all cures for emotional problems.

there was a time in your past were you had never experienced any neative emotion before. timeline therapy will take you back to the memory fo when you 1st ever experienced the negative emotion you are dealing with , and it will release the emotion from that memorie. every other event after the 1st event , were you experinced that emotion, will automatcially to be fixed just by dealing with the first event

i know a bit about bpd and timeline therapy is deffinatley the best cure for it. i remembe watching a jeremy kyle show were this lad had bpd cos when he was a kid he witnessed his mother being beatun up. becasue of this he had a strong attachment to her an couldnt stand leaving her or being abandond by her cos he felt he had to protect her. all he would have to do is use timeline therapy to go back to that event in his childhood and release the negative emotions from it , ad the imprint that the event had on him. the memory stays the same but the event it has on you changes

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
time line therapy is the mother of all cures for emotional problems.

there was a time in your past were you had never experienced any neative emotion before. timeline therapy will take you back to the memory fo when you 1st ever experienced the negative emotion you are dealing with , and it will release the emotion from that memorie. every other event after the 1st event , were you experinced that emotion, will automatcially to be fixed just by dealing with the first event

i know a bit about bpd and timeline therapy is deffinatley the best cure for it. i remembe watching a jeremy kyle show were this lad had bpd cos when he was a kid he witnessed his mother being beatun up. becasue of this he had a strong attachment to her an couldnt stand leaving her or being abandond by her cos he felt he had to protect her. all he would have to do is use timeline therapy to go back to that event in his childhood and release the negative emotions from it , ad the imprint that the event had on him. the memory stays the same but the event it has on you changes
I've tried timeline therapy for it, it hasn't had an impact!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Did you try the coping techniques from the Distress Tolerance module from DBT?

A few books related to DBT:

Linehan, M. M. (1993). Skills Training Manual for Treating Borderline Personality Disorder. New York: Guilford Press. (Amazon)
Pretty much "the source" of DBT skills straight from Marsha Linehan. Be advised, however, that this book is intended for the therapist, so it has quite a bit of psychological jargon in it. However, attached at the end of the book are handouts given to DBT clients, and it's rumoured in the BPD support community that the coping techniques in these handouts are literally life-savers.​

McKay, M., Wood, J.C. & Brentley, J. (2007). The Dialectical Behavior Therapy Workbook: Practical DBT Exercises for Learning Mindfulness, Interpersonal Effectiveness, Emotional Regulation, and Distress Tolerance. Oakland, CA: New Harbinger. (Amazon)
Written as self-help book format. In the book, the authors seem to make a few overgeneralizing assumptions about the borderline population, and oversimplify the basic concepts of dialectics. Other than that, the book is easy to read and its skills are effective to cope with everyday stress.​

Hanh, T. N. (1976). The Miracle of Mindfulness. Boston: Beacon Press. (Amazon)
Just some more resource about the Core Mindfulness module in DBT.​

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did you try the coping techniques from the Distress Tolerance module from DBT?

A few books related to DBT:

Linehan, M. M. (1993). Skills Training Manual for Treating Borderline Personality Disorder. New York: Guilford Press. (Amazon)
Pretty much "the source" of DBT skills straight from Marsha Linehan. Be advised, however, that this book is intended for the therapist, so it has quite a bit of psychological jargon in it. However, attached at the end of the book are handouts given to DBT clients, and it's rumoured in the BPD support community that the coping techniques in these handouts are literally life-savers.​

McKay, M., Wood, J.C. & Brentley, J. (2007). The Dialectical Behavior Therapy Workbook: Practical DBT Exercises for Learning Mindfulness, Interpersonal Effectiveness, Emotional Regulation, and Distress Tolerance. Oakland, CA: New Harbinger. (Amazon)
Written as self-help book format. In the book, the authors seem to make a few overgeneralizing assumptions about the borderline population, and oversimplify the basic concepts of dialectics. Other than that, the book is easy to read and its skills are effective to cope with everyday stress.​

Hanh, T. N. (1976). The Miracle of Mindfulness. Boston: Beacon Press. (Amazon)
Just some more resource about the Core Mindfulness module in DBT.​
Yep, it worked when i was in a pretty bad way but hasn't had the same impact with this!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts