Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, there's this guy I'm kind of fond of but know nothing about. I find myself kind of watching him out of the corner of my eye a lot but of course I'm absolutely terrified of approaching him.

Which makes me wonder, does anyone else out there have/has had a crush on a stranger? How did you go about it?

I really just want some advice here =____=;

·
Registered
703 Posts
Yeah i have had crushes on strangers before, I develop crushes quite easy and well they always go wrong always. A lot of times when I do get crushes on people I don't know, the more I find out about the worst I end up feeling. I guess because I get so caught up in what I hope things will be like, that I get hurt by the reality of thing's. I can't really offer advice because I'm such a fu*k up, all I can do is wish you luck.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Recently this happened to me. There was a girl I saw a few days a week for probably 10 months whenever I went to eat (she worked there) and she seemed enough like my type that I was williing to take a chance on her. So when she walked by me one day, I said "hey". She said "hey". I said "you wanna hang out sometime"? She told me "you kinda caught me off guard". After that I basically wrapped it up, told her if she ever wanted to hang out that she should tell me. Someone I work with told me that the person already has their mind made up if they like you before you even approach them, so I was going off of that.

It's tough asking strangers out suddenly like that. I don't have good enough social skills (not "cool" enough) to be successful at it so I'm done trying with strangers. If you could somehow get a casual, enjoyable conversation going with the person then you may have a chance.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
there's this girl i saw at the fruit & vegetables grocer a few months ago and i still think about her sometimes. i just turned around and saw her for a split second and could feel a connection to her. she looked sad and not just the i'm having a bad day sad but like there's something bothering her and for some reason i feel like she has SA as well. this is presumptuous of me but i really feel it. everytime i go to my local shopping centre i always hope to see her again but i never do and i think that if i do i'll muster up the confidence to try to strike up a conversation or at least smile at her.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
After growing up abit, and changing myself this is working for ME. Might not work for you =p

Find a reason, find an opportunity.

Think to yourself"I really really want this".

Walk up to her. Relax. Smile "Hey miss" =]

Thats it. Dont overthink, no barely think. Only think if its to reassure yourself that you want her. Thinking usually leads me to talking myself out of walking to her.

Hi, intoduce yourself and let her and the day take its course. Thats what I do with strangers

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
It's easy to let your imagination get the better of you when crossing paths with an attractive stranger. It's also frustrating and useless because the chances of you actually being able to successfully approach that person and have your interest reciprocated are minuscule, especially if it's a man approaching a woman. I'm coming to the belief that you can have crushes all you want, but the likelihood of them ever going beyond that stage is very small. You can even imagine scenarios in which you might be brave enough to go up to that person and try to talk to them, but the flat fact is that you probably never will, or you will fail. Is this the wrong attitude to have?

·
Registered
595 Posts
oh hell yea. iv have ALot of crushes that are strangers to me. ALOT. i gues you can call me a creeper since i like to watch from afar. somtime i want them to notice that il checking them out just to see their reaction. im fine with just looking at my crush i dont have any desire in getting to to know them.

·
bye
810 Posts
Oh my god, only every year of my high school career. Before beginning this school year(senior) i told myself i wouldn't do that anymore because i just end up hurting myself. But i am currently crushing on someone. He is in my history class and all i know is his name. I feel like a fool sometimes because he doesn't even know i exist.

·
Pasta
115 Posts
I remember back when I was 17, I got on a streetcar downtown Toronto. I was sitting at the very back and the next stop over, a man in his 20's come on the bus. Curly hair. He wore a beige jacket and black jeans. He had a shoulder bag, and a magazine in his hand. He sat down, and from where I was sitting I could see his side perfectly. He started laughing out loud while reading something in his magazine, and I thought this was so cute that I sort of giggled, silently. He looked around and seemed embarrassed.

And to this day, I remember him perfectly. There was something about him. I would have loved to get to know him. Would have loved to have had the courage to talk to him.

My point is... crushes on strangers can be pretty powerful. If you have the chance to say something to them, if you see them often... force yourself, because you might end up like me, nearly 10 years later, still sometimes thinking about that guy on the bus who awkwardly laughed while reading his magazine. If you can't talk to him or her, give them a note with your e-mail address. Take chances, because life really is too short...

·
Registered
277 Posts
I completely agree with this. I have regret like this too, so now I believe it is so much better to just risk embarrassment than to live with the regret for the rest of your life.

My point is... crushes on strangers can be pretty powerful. If you have the chance to say something to them, if you see them often... force yourself, because you might end up like me, nearly 10 years later, still sometimes thinking about that guy on the bus who awkwardly laughed while reading his magazine. If you can't talk to him or her, give them a note with your e-mail address. Take chances, because life really is too short...

·
this too shall pass
1,512 Posts
Not really strangers, but girls at the same school/college very often. I know it's illogical, but when I see a girl I find very attractive physically, there's a part of my brain that thinks she's special in some way, like above 99% of the population or something. Weird, I know, and illogical, and possibly offensive to the other 99%, but I can't change it. However, usually I eventually find out they're not so great, and thus the crush ends, only to be replaced by a new one. I will never learn.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
After growing up abit, and changing myself this is working for ME. Might not work for you =p

Find a reason, find an opportunity.

Think to yourself"I really really want this".

Walk up to her. Relax. Smile "Hey miss" =]

Thats it. Dont overthink, no barely think. Only think if its to reassure yourself that you want her. Thinking usually leads me to talking myself out of walking to her.

Hi, intoduce yourself and let her and the day take its course. Thats what I do with strangers
I was thinking about doing something like this.
I've recently gotten a name and the person is in the same social circle as me.
I was thinking about being cheesy old me and maybe asking if he wanted to play a game with me since we both get to school super early and there's almost no one else there but us. Just something simple like tic-tac-toe to pass the time or something.
But you're right, I'm over-thinking. Thank you so much for this advice~!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I remember back when I was 17, I got on a streetcar downtown Toronto. I was sitting at the very back and the next stop over, a man in his 20's come on the bus. Curly hair. He wore a beige jacket and black jeans. He had a shoulder bag, and a magazine in his hand. He sat down, and from where I was sitting I could see his side perfectly. He started laughing out loud while reading something in his magazine, and I thought this was so cute that I sort of giggled, silently. He looked around and seemed embarrassed.

And to this day, I remember him perfectly. There was something about him. I would have loved to get to know him. Would have loved to have had the courage to talk to him.

Wow, that's an incredible story .___.
You're right, though. I'd rather risk looking like a weirdo than never know what might have happened.
Life really is too short and something this small shouldn't be anything to stress about.
Thank you so much~!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts