Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
insert witty comment here
6,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MODS: If this is the wrong subsection, please move this thread. I can't think of a place to put it

I am looking to get a few takes on what happened a few nights ago.

I live alone in an apartment in a largish apartment block. A few nights ago at about 3.20am I stood in my living room. It was hot so all the doors inside my apartment were open.

Because all the inside doors were open, I could hear a noise outside my apartment door. I stopped and listened for a few secs. Then, the door bell rang. I walked to the door and looked through to peeping whole (we do not have cameras over here, legal thing).

It was a youngish guy (20 - 30 years old, nice looking, clearly not from here, could have been any pizza delivery guy). I put on my sternest voice and asked in my native language "Yes?".

He looked surprised and took a step back from my door. It took a couple of secs for him to speak: "Do you speak English?" I relied: "Yes."

He continued to look surprised, took a step forward towards my door, then a step back, then another step forward. Then he said: "Um, I am looking for, um, Lucas. Is he here? Do you know him?"

I spoke in my sternest voice: "No. We don't know a Lucas here." I made sure to say we rather than I so as to signal that I wasn't alone.

He looked like he didn't know what to say. He kept taking a step forward and then one back. He began looking at the door handle and kind of leaned towards it. "Oh, um, so you don't know him?"

I said: "No. We don't know a Lucas here. Go away."

He then left.

Through the window I watched him leave through the courtyard (large apartment blocks have courtyards over here). As I watched him leave I noticed that all the windows were dark. I was the only one up in the whole building.

I would appreciate a few takes. Thanks.

·
Registered
307 Posts
You didn’t see if he was carrying anything with him?

Sounds like a delivery person who was disappointed that his delivery was going to fail and wasn’t sure what to do about it.

That’s my guess anyway... a criminal wouldn’t target a home where the resident is awake, right?

·
drifting in mist
584 Posts
Sounds innocuous to me. I don't think someone who meant harm would ring the doorbell, get visibly flustered, and then leave politely afterwards. Maybe he was a foreigner unfamiliar with the city trying to find Lucas.

·
(.*?)
6,691 Posts
One time there was somebody fiddling with my doorknob repeatedly trying to get it open late at night, until I yelled at him. I figured it was likely a drunk who was too out of it to realize he wasn't home. I'd guess Lucas lives somewhere in your apartment complex and your visitor remembered the unit number wrong. It's easier to get confused at night when things don't look the same as during your day visit.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Clever to answer with we instead of I. I would never think about that lol.
Anyway to me it sounds fishy not sure what to make of it. If you never see him again I guess it means he didn’t have any business in your block. If he was a delivery boy he would have carried a package, I‘d bet he wasn’t one. He would not be startled and he would have acted more professional if he was one. Can you remember the clothes he wore?
If there is no Lucas in your block he either picked the wrong block (unlikely) or he was scouting for some burglary or he was a peeping tom. Possibilities are endless, I’m afraid you’ll never know the truth.

My advice buy a double barreled shotgun, a watch dog, a bullet proof vest and a chastity belt.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I think it was fine he was likely drunk and tried the wrong door. I freaked out once as about the same time in the morning somebody chapped my door and then tried it. I shouted at him through the letterbox and he mumbled an apology and walked away. I then saw him later through the peephole wandering about the corridor trying to open the cupboards too so I phoned the police. Turns out he was drunk and tried the wrong door but he had scared me. Anyway he never came back and that was it dealt with . Don’t worry am sure you are fine .

·
Super Moderator
34,225 Posts
Yeah. I would probably not have even made a sound and just let him think no one was home. It's impossible to know what the deal was but since you said you have had issues with some guy who used to live there I would not be surprised if he was somehow involved.

·
bipolar
17,060 Posts
Difficult to say. He might have been genuinely looking for this other person or it might not have been so innocent. Sounds like you did the right thing though. Best to be careful.

·
SAS Member
Public Universal Enemy
42,926 Posts
I dunno it's kind of weird given the time but not in the kind of way where I think he was probably looking to break into your apartment or anything because he wouldn't have rung the doorbell or stuck around to create the Lucas story (if he wanted to get you to open the door to scope out the place the story also obviously wouldn't achieve that and he would have come at a more sensible time of day.) Maybe he wanted to buy drugs and Lucas is his dealer especially if he seemed anxious.

I'm going with the drug thing. It makes the most sense to me and people deal out of apartments.

·
SAS Member
14,446 Posts
It's hard to trust strangers these days. You handled the situation pretty well.
You were very smart to use "we"
Never let them know you're alone or vulnerable.

·
6,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You didn’t see if he was carrying anything with him?

Sounds like a delivery person who was disappointed that his delivery was going to fail and wasn’t sure what to do about it.

That’s my guess anyway... a criminal wouldn’t target a home where the resident is awake, right?
I didn't notice him carrying anything. He definitely wasn't delivering anything at 3.20am.

There have been cases of men breaking into apartments where a woman is on her own. That's more the worry here.

Sounds innocuous to me. I don't think someone who meant harm would ring the doorbell, get visibly flustered, and then leave politely afterwards. Maybe he was a foreigner unfamiliar with the city trying to find Lucas.
Yes, there is a chance that he really is unfamiliar with the local customs. It's highly inappropriate to ring a door bell at 3.20am. But it's possible that he lives in that trendy part of society were rules are very relaxed. It's just weirds people out.

One time there was somebody fiddling with my doorknob repeatedly trying to get it open late at night, until I yelled at him. I figured it was likely a drunk who was too out of it to realize he wasn't home. I'd guess Lucas lives somewhere in your apartment complex and your visitor remembered the unit number wrong. It's easier to get confused at night when things don't look the same as during your day visit.
I will post a note in the building downstairs to ask if there is actually a Lucas around.

Clever to answer with we instead of I. I would never think about that lol.
Anyway to me it sounds fishy not sure what to make of it. If you never see him again I guess it means he didn’t have any business in your block. If he was a delivery boy he would have carried a package, I‘d bet he wasn’t one. He would not be startled and he would have acted more professional if he was one. Can you remember the clothes he wore?
If there is no Lucas in your block he either picked the wrong block (unlikely) or he was scouting for some burglary or he was a peeping tom. Possibilities are endless, I’m afraid you’ll never know the truth.

My advice buy a double barreled shotgun, a watch dog, a bullet proof vest and a chastity belt.
:LOL:

I think it was fine he was likely drunk and tried the wrong door. I freaked out once as about the same time in the morning somebody chapped my door and then tried it. I shouted at him through the letterbox and he mumbled an apology and walked away. I then saw him later through the peephole wandering about the corridor trying to open the cupboards too so I phoned the police. Turns out he was drunk and tried the wrong door but he had scared me. Anyway he never came back and that was it dealt with . Don’t worry am sure you are fine .
I will probably see if I can get some kind of camera just in case.

Yeah. I would probably not have even made a sound and just let him think no one was home. It's impossible to know what the deal was but since you said you have had issues with some guy who used to live there I would not be surprised if he was somehow involved.
It was pretty obvious I was at home (I was being noisy so he likely heard me). Also, I was not going to freeze in my own apartment. It's pretty rude to ring a door bell in the dead of night.

It's just that afterwards I am worried now. LOL

Difficult to say. He might have been genuinely looking for this other person or it might not have been so innocent. Sounds like you did the right thing though. Best to be careful.
I will definitely be careful. It is highly unusual to ring people's door bells at night.

d given the time but not in the kind of way where I think he was probably looking to break into your apartment or anything because he wouldn't have rung the doorbell or stuck around to create the Lucas story (if he wanted to get you to open the door to scope out the place the story also obviously wou
There have been cases of men breaking into women's apartments for things other than a robbery. That's the main concern here. For a robbery, you really would show up when no-one is at home. Over here, they usually come during daylight hours when everyone is at work. If he tried to get in (it looked like that) it wasn't about robbing me.

It's hard to trust strangers these days. You handled the situation pretty well.
You were very smart to use "we"
Never let them know you're alone or vulnerable.
I felt immensely threatened. Just looking through the peep whole filled me with a sense of dread (it was 3.20am).

I don't know here I got the idea "we" from. It just occurred to me in that moment.

·
6,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the replies btw. :)

Maybe that guy really was just an innocent and clueless person. It feels pretty threatening to a woman living alone when you ring her door bell at 3.20am though.

·
Failure's Art
2,301 Posts
Did he have a foreign accent? Wonder why he wanted to speak with you in English.

Were your lights on? Maybe he really was looking for someone in that complex and if your lights were the only ones on he assumed that was the right unit.

Idk, maybe he's like 19-21. 19-21 year old guys are pretty clueless.

·
SAS Member
Public Universal Enemy
42,926 Posts
There have been cases of men breaking into women's apartments for things other than a robbery. That's the main concern here. For a robbery, you really would show up when no-one is at home. Over here, they usually come during daylight hours when everyone is at work. If he tried to get in (it looked like that) it wasn't about robbing me.
I still think ringing the doorbell and then asking for Lucas is an odd way to go about that. It also kind of sounds like he was expecting the person there to be speaking English because I'm not sure why he would be surprised when you didn't otherwise so he was obviously expecting someone else.

·
6,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Did he have a foreign accent? Wonder why he wanted to speak with you in English.

Were your lights on? Maybe he really was looking for someone in that complex and if your lights were the only ones on he assumed that was the right unit.

Idk, maybe he's like 19-21. 19-21 year old guys are pretty clueless.
He was around 25, I would say. My country has been flooded with people from all kinds of countries in recents years. Many live here without speaking a word of the local language. They survive by speaking poor English. That works for them.

When I watched him leave, I saw that my apartment was the only one where the lights were on.

·
6,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I still think ringing the doorbell and then asking for Lucas is an odd way to go about that. It also kind of sounds like he was expecting the person there to be speaking English because I'm not sure why he would be surprised when you didn't otherwise so he was obviously expecting someone else.
You are probably right.

I am just very careful these days. To me, he seems like a poorly organized criminal. He may well have just been a clueless young guy.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Yeah it's hard to say. He could have truly been lost, but the mention that your apartment was the only one with the lights on is pretty suspicious. Then again he could have just assumed it was the one his friend was in.

Either way, you were right to be concerned and I'd definitely be on the lookout.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I’m getting creeped out just reading this. That’s sketchy. As other people have mentioned in this thread it’s suspicious that your apt was the only one with a light and he went there.

A few years ago I had a somewhat similar situation happen. It was like 2am, I was living alone in my apartment. A guy started banging on my door. I forget what he said exactly but it turns out he thought that it was his apt when he was really at the apt below me but in the same location. He was drunkenly swaying back and forth. I loudly told him something like “This isn’t your apartment, go to your own apartment” over and over again until he left. But with your story, that guy sounds like he wasn’t drunk. He sounds more coherent and sketchy.

It sucks that your country is getting ruined by foreigners :/

41 Posts
Could be many things, maybe he was at the wrong apartment & Lucas was a codeword for getting drugs or prostitution or other illegal activities.

Maybe he was under the influence of something already & just confused/disorientated.

Maybe he had mental problems & thought he was a moth so when he saw the light from your window he just wanted to bang his head of it repeatedly.:unsure:

Something similar happened my sister once turned out to be an escaped mental patient.

·
SAS Member
14,446 Posts
I felt immensely threatened. Just looking through the peep whole filled me with a sense of dread (it was 3.20am).

I don't know here I got the idea "we" from. It just occurred to me in that moment.
That inner alarm rings for a reason. There's too many trusting people opening doors and getting hurt. The guy was young and strong, he wasn't in any danger or in need of urgent help. You had no reason to open the door and trust him. In these cases you go with your instinct, which is usually to make them leave asap and make sure they know you're not alone.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts