Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just started to recall when my SA got really bad: it four summers ago, the summer when I had started drinking coffee daily at work (of course, this definitely was not the only reason my sa worsened, there were a lot of psychological aspects involved as well)

I never drinked so much, maybe 3-4 mugs a day. But it seems this was enough.

So, I quit. This was about a month ago. After maybe a week I started slowly noticing a change: I was no longer "chronically anxious".

Now, after a month the difference is just astonishing. If I for example think about a scary upcoming situation, I can feel the anxiouness building as before, but if I then take my thoughts away, and start to watch TV etc, I can feel that the nervousness just dimishes.

Couple times I have wanted to test the effects of coffee now afterwards, and took about 4 mugs in a row: there is this same anxiety again. I noticed also, that it does not only cause this chronical anxiety, but it makes the actual anxiety in a situation (or work stress) much worse.

You can't guess, how much more confident I feel now! (again, there are lots and lots of psycholocigal factors as well). My college started monday, and I have been able to go to lectures without difficulties. Last year I skipped most of them. I even started a foreign language course! Huge! I have been so much more social than last year, hanged with my some friends and acquaintances instead of avoiding (without avoiding as much as last year lol). I am actually enjoying my studies.

If there is one good thing coffee brought, it is that I was so used to that caffeine caused anxious being, that this "normal anxiety" does not feel so bad any more. I am used to be feeling anxious :D

The moment when I truly realized what coffee is doing to me, I lost my lust for caffeine completely. At once. Luckily there are many great decafs, and naturally caffeine-free teas... :)

My shyness is not gone. My sa is not gone. They were there before I started drinking coffee, but now I feel there is hope again!

Please, if you think you may be sensitive to caffeine, try without it! I know, coffee does not affect everyone as much as me (I also tend to get a lot of side-effects from meds), but it definitely is not helping. Doing this will probably not solve your anxietyproblems, but it may make your life so much easier. My life it has changed.

What is there to lose, why not give a try? Coffee is not worth it, seriously.

·
Painfully Shy Guy
418 Posts
I am addicted to caffeine and super sensitive to it and other drugs like you are. I only drink it in the morning and you are right about how adding the jitters when you are anxious already is not necessarily a good thing. But I am seriously addicted so I guess I'll have to keep sufferin :(.

·
Banned
768 Posts
I used to drink about 3 big mugs of coffee a day, followed by a cuban coffee in the afternoon. I was so addicted that if my coffee regimine varied at all, I would get horrible headaches and even feel sick. My energy levels and mood were very dependent on my caffeine fix.

I eventually weened off of regular coffee and switched to decaf. I still get a little caffeine from it (about 3%), but don't experience all the sides anymore.

I don't think it had any impact on my SA, but I do feel more in control of my energy levels since making the switch.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Coffee increases dopamine activity. No one with with anxiety problems should really drink it regularly. I used to drink it to study but stopped it and yeah, lighter anxiety etc.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I used to be a huge coffee and caffeine addict too. I would feel like I was going crazy without my caffeine. After I discovered how much worse it was making things on me, I quit too and it was much, much easier than I thought it would be. Now if only I could quit smoking so easily.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Say no to the coffee kids

I have stopped drinking coffee too. It has really helped me. I used to find drinking coffee made my anxiety worse so now i drink green tea. :)

·
Registered
271 Posts
I suppose this could also apply to drinking tea. I drink far too much usually anywhere from 4-8 cups a day since i was a kid :|

Sometimes i've wondered has it had an effect on my anxiety so i might have to go on a week long detox to see if it makes a difference. I'm just worried i might have withdrawal symptoms and it might have the opposite effect :um

·
Registered
257 Posts
I

I basically quit coffee three days ago and so far it's made a pretty good improvement to my SA. I've replaced it with chai teas that I make...which are very good...milk and some sugar.

I hope in the coming weeks this will improve.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts