Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I constantly see reviews of antidepressants on sites like revolutionhealth.com where people write pointless comments like (for moclobemide):

"A sugar pill for me This drug had not effect whatsoever."

Now I can 99% guarantee this moron didn't give the drug 2-4 weeks to work (moclobemide takes just as long as Prozac to work), just jumped right in and probably put many people off trying it. Nice job, you mug.

I think part of the problem is psychiatrists not informing patients of the true nature of most antidepressants. They are not instant happy pills; most instant happy pills have a tendency of leaving you worse in the long run. Another problem is the lack of co-prescription of benzodiazepines in the first weeks. I think this should be the standard.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
I think revolutionhealth.com and askapatient.com are pretty useful sites if enough people give ratings for a drug.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Reading 'reviews' of meds helps to satisfy peoples curiosity, but our brains are far too complex and unique to determine whether a med will or won't help us based on someone else's (or 2,000 people's) experience; whether that experience is positive or negative. What I think most often screws up peoples' chance of success with meds is when they don't know or refuse to accept this fact.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
I think part of the problem is psychiatrists not informing patients of the true nature of most antidepressants. They are not instant happy pills; most instant happy pills have a tendency of leaving you worse in the long run. Another problem is the lack of co-prescription of benzodiazepines in the first weeks. I think this should be the standard.
I've never seen the drug rating site you mention, but around here it's certainly very well known that ADs are SLOW -- like a snail on sedatives SLOW -- taking several weeks to reach full effect if they work at all.

The fact a drug doesn't work doesn't necessarily mean one didn't give it enough time. Obviously, pills leave a great deal to be desired. SAS wouldn't exist if a pill got the job done. There would be no need for such extensive discussion of something that's easily cured by a pill.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
The changes made from antidepressants are so gradual and subtle that many people don't even realize that they have changed them. I have had to go on and off antidepressants several times before realizing that they do actually work for me. I agree that some people with severe anxiety would benefit from being prescribed a benzo with the AD.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
I agree that some people with severe anxiety would benefit from being prescribed a benzo with the AD.
I think often people can't handle the first few tough weeks of an SSRI and just quit it, but if their Pdocs had given them a benzo too for that short amount of time they wouldn't have suffered; they would have taken the SSRI, later quit the benzo, and at least some of them would have had an improved quality of life because of the SSRI. Being too benzo-phobic can sometimes suck.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I noticed that when I'm on benzos for a few days, I ditch all my "coping mechanisms" and other negative behaviour of depression and anxiety very quickly. I bet they'd accelerate the changes in behaviour you get from antidepressants if used in the first weeks, then the anti-depressant would sustain the changes.

I'm starting a week of lorazepam tomorrow, :D.

·
ThirdEyeGrind
1,284 Posts
I constantly see reviews of antidepressants on sites like revolutionhealth.com where people write pointless comments like (for moclobemide):

"A sugar pill for me This drug had not effect whatsoever."

Now I can 99% guarantee this moron didn't give the drug 2-4 weeks to work (moclobemide takes just as long as Prozac to work), just jumped right in and probably put many people off trying it. Nice job, you mug.

I don't mean to be rude but these "useless med ratings" help alot of people deciding what medication would benefit them the most. Yes, everyone reacts differently to medication but atleast you're getting reviews from people who have actually taken a certain medication and are able to see if it helped them or not without you having to play lab rat to see if something's going to work for you. And yea, maybe something that supposedly works for alot of people won't work for someone else but like I said, atleast there is user opinions that alot of people would like to see/hear before they start a medication so they atleast know what to expect.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
But when someone rates a medication without giving it sufficient time to work, this is helpful to no one.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Some med ratings are useful and some are not. If just 5 people vote then this means nothing. If 100 vote then you have more useful (average) information.

·
Guided By Voices
2,396 Posts
The rating sites also show how long the person has been on the medication.So that can be factored in as well.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I think the rating sites should make you include your dose because otherwise it can be misleading when people are saying one thing at a small dose and another thing at a high dose, but we don't know which that person is on. Most especially looking at all meds that deal with multiple neurotransmitters knowing how many of the meds are designed to affect them in different degrees at the different dosages.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts