Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this on the Coping board, which was a mistake, so I deleted it. Hopefully it fares better here.

If there's one thing I've learned over the past year, it's that life makes a lot more sense when you stop overthinking things.

It's kind of like when people say, "I found a girlfriend/boyfriend when I stopped looking for one." They don't actually mean don't put yourself out there. They mean that you shouldn't look at every person you meet as a potential love interest. Just talk to them like you would anyone else and see where it goes from there.

About a year ago, I was extremely depressed and angry because I failed a class, and I had to wait another year to retake it, which postponed my graduation. So when the time came to retake it, I completely changed my mentality. I've been reading the Physics Forums and one member mentioned how he had a 1.6 GPA by the end of his sophomore year, but he turned it around after he stopped looking at classes as something he needed to pass to graduate and started looking at them as something he could use to learn from. So instead of looking at that class like, "Why do I need this? Why do I have to take this? I just want to hurry up and finish it so I can get out of here," I decided to look at it like, "Let me see what I can learn from this." It really freed my mind and let me see things a lot more clearly, and as a result, I did a LOT better this time around (and better than most of the other students).

This all relates back to SA because during that class, I studied in groups, usually two to seven or eight people. At no point did SA ever become an issue. I was still reserved, and I only spoke up when I had something to say, but I never thought of it as, "What are these people thinking of me? Are they going to judge me? Will I say something stupid? Will they laugh at me for it?" And that made studying with this group a lot easier for me. And on top of that, a lot of them were just as screwed up (if not more so) than I was, so I doubt any judging they would have done really mattered.

I'm not saying don't be yourself. I'm not saying put yourself in a situation that makes you uncomfortable. At no point during any of this did I feel like i was doing something that was untrue to myself or to the person that I wanted to be. All I'm saying is that at a certain point, you have to step out of your own head and just go with things as they come. At least, that's what seemed to work for me, and maybe it'll work for you, too.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts