·
Koala Crisp
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
fgt

·
Registered
242 Posts
We all do this. The day you stop doing this, is the day you've beaten SA.

Ask yourself, do you ever do this after having a conversation with one of your parents? I'm pretty sure you don't. Why? Because you're not tense around them or trying to impress as you do with strangers.

·
Registered
390 Posts
If I find myself needlessly obsessing over something I try to do ANYTHING I can to distract myself. I'll clean my house, meditate, or call my mom. This isn't really the best coping mechanism but its the best I can do for right now. These things dont happen over night. You're basically retraining the way you think so try to be patient and forging with yourself, eventually you'll find a way to get over this.

·
Still Running
387 Posts
If I find myself needlessly obsessing over something I try to do ANYTHING I can to distract myself. I'll clean my house, meditate, or call my mom. This isn't really the best coping mechanism but its the best I can do for right now. These things dont happen over night. You're basically retraining the way you think so try to be patient and forging with yourself, eventually you'll find a way to get over this.
I believe that you are coping in the way that works for you, it isn't the best coping mechanism for everyone, but it is what works. I believe in all our obsessions there is a sweet spot where if we develope good coping mechanisms we can divert the obsession to a more positive action. If we take an action the obsession will be deverted. I also believe that it takes practice and persiverance because my coping mechanisms only work for some obsessions. Some others are more deeply seated in my mind and taking an actioin such as going to an AA meeting doesn't help much.

·
Koala Crisp
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Distractions are hard to find for me. I give myself too much time to think, so I should try this more often.

·
Its dawn here
6,082 Posts
We both seem to be the same on this..i really do..
when I have a discussion with someone..specially a fight or with an annoying person I reallly feel so much violated that is hard enough for me to control my tongue over that..however I manage and after doing this I just feel that why didny I sya this or that to him..In case when I hav edone some mistake or said something not appropriate the whole chapter comes to my mind daily and I critisize

·
Australian
9 Posts
Hey man, yeah I'm exactly the same.

One thing that you must do is realize that you are just as important as every other person on this planet and that you must be happy first for yourself before others.

Anyone that thinks that you are any less than them or dislikes you because of things you've said in short conversation, are not worth being friends with.

GL man, you can beat this.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts