Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Gentle Impulsion
7,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yup. I gets them. Namely every time I think about something I have to go to that will involve talking to other people face to face. Wondering if anyone else has this problem? Pepto Bismol seems to help a little but I really hate taking pills.

·
Registered
99 Posts
This is pretty much me, except in addition to my stomach being upset, I get IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) and you can only imagine how that complicates going anywhere. If these were both eliminated from my every day life, I would be in heaven.

·
dazed and confused
960 Posts
Yeah, I have trouble with my stomach when I know I have to go somewhere. Sometimes its nausea, sometimes its stomach cramps and diarrhea. Makes me just want to hide at home and never go out where I have to deal with people.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I get them too. I also have IBS and possibly some ulceration in my intestines. When I was a little kid I used to get horrible stomach aches before I went to school and my parents always thought I was just making them up. If I eat before I go into social situations I either get digestive distress or heartburn, sometimes both.

·
Registered
5,120 Posts
I get them when I am stuck in a social situation with people I don't know well where more or less constant interaction is expected.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Yep, definitely have this problem. I usually get them before I have to do something that gets me out of my comfort zone. Usually I think I'm getting sick, then an intense fear of throwing up in public kicks in, and I end up with a full blown panic attack. By the time I'm done with whatever situation triggered the stomach ache I'm fine and I realize I'm not actually sick and it's just anxiety. So fun.

·
Buried at Sea
5,104 Posts
That used to happen to me all the time (less so now) when I was in public and started to get anxious. It felt like I was going to throw up if I moved or talked, so I just had to sit there completely still, which I imagine looked really weird to anyone who was looking at me.

My tummy hurts right now, but I think that's more related to the brownies, doughnuts, and gummi worms I've been eating. :puke

206 Posts
I get nausea all the time. I've pretty much gotten used to it.

When I'm REALLY anxious, like before a speech or something, I get cramps and diarrhea. That I have not gotten used to. I'm already nervous enough, now I have potty problems. ugh.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yep, I feel nauseated when I know I'll be in a situation where I have to be really social, like meeting new people, or when I know attention is going to be on me (like giving a presentation). That's one of the things I still haven't gained complete control over with my SA.

·
Time Lord
178 Posts
I get them all the time...anything that is stressful (especially social situations that i am nervous about) i know a stomach ache will be coming on
your body produces excess acid when it is under stress, and this can lead to ulcers
i was on anti-ulcer medication for a really long time
thankfully, now i just take the medication when I know i will be getting a stomach ache

taking a sh*tload of anti-acids will help, but it is VERY impractical

·
Gentle Impulsion
7,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What about taking a Tums right before a social situation when you know you will get a stomache ache? I might have to try it and get back to you on this.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts