Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I was recently at the psychiatrist , the summary is below

she suspects ADD ( inattentive type not hyperactive) along with my Avoidant personality disorder / social phobia.

She was thinking about Concerta .. and my question is .. if i have add that means that i will probably be needing this for long time ( my inattention affects me negatively at work , career and studies) .. can people stay on stimulants for years on end ? can this be manageable?

And do they actually make a difference in attention, motivation , focus , work and academic results ?

On another note.. she wants me to try Effexor for my social phobia / avoidant personality.. however i made her look into the possibility of Nardil .. she said she will have to get back to me .

·
Reposed in awesomeness...
2,278 Posts
Depends, depends, depends.

If you have ADHD I'd avoid the Nardil because I don't think you wouldn't be able to take the stim with an MAOI. Personally I'd start with one med at a time. If you have Avoidant Personality Disorder I don't think meds are going to help you. AvPD is no just an extreme form of SA it is a personality disorder. You really need to see a good therapist if that is the case. Has your psych determined that you definitely have a personality disorder?

Reactions: meedo

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
She was thinking about Concerta .. and my question is .. if i have add that means that i will probably be needing this for long time ( my inattention affects me negatively at work , career and studies) .. can people stay on stimulants for years on end ? can this be manageable?
Yes, if you do it right. Strangely, most of these problems relate to not eating enough food, or eating the wrong kind of food.
To understand why stimulants are hard on the body, you need to understand what causes the notorious "meth mouth" that meth heads have. You'll need to image search that since I don't want to link to it. Things like "meth mouth" and "faces of meth" are caused by a combination of things stimulants do. This is all stimulants, not just meth.

Stimulants increase metabolic rate, so it puts extra strain on the liver and kidneys. You'll need more antioxidants to clear that crap out. Eat more vegetables and take vitamin C. You should probably take more vitamin C anyway. It's amazing what vitamin C does in the body. I take ridiculous amounts of vitamin C (like 10g per day) because I'm on Nardil; it causes random bruising and rashes if I don't take vitamin C. Nardil is almost like self-inflicted scurvy if you don't take vitamin C with it. Just like scurvy, vitamin C fixes it. Ever notice that meth heads in the Faces of Meth picture always seem to have gaping wounds on their faces? That's not just caused by scratching your face like a meth head. Without vitamin C, those wounds don't heal very fast; that's basically what scurvy is.

Burning through dopamine and noradrenaline like it's going out of style means the body needs more amino acids to rebuild all of that; you need to eat protein. Meth heads have a hard time with this one because stimulants drive appetite way down, they can't eat as much because the stomach shrinks, and people on stimulants often crave things that are high in sugar as opposed to things high in protein and fat. Meth heads are powered by Coca Cola; you won't see them ordering a baconator. Without any protein in the diet, the body is forced to eat itself. What's the alternative? Just shut down all dopamine production due to a lack of available amino acids and die? Of course not. The body needs to eat itself to keep the brain running. You'll notice meth heads look like zombies if they've been on meth for a long time. That's what happens when your body eats itself to keep the brain alive. You can fix that getting your amino acids from eating food, just like a normal person.

Burning through neurotransmitters also means you need more vitamins, specifically B vitamins. B vitamins normally come from eating meat. If you're a meth head powered by sugary drinks, you won't be getting any B vitamins. That screws up everything. I'm on Nardil, which is known to cause vitamin B6 deficiency, so I take multivitamins every day. Lots of drugs are known to cause vitamin problems. Almost every alcoholic has a serious B vitamin deficiency. As do meth heads, coke heads, Nardil heads (lol), and people on various other drugs.

People with meth are often missing teeth. This is partly caused by constant jaw clenching and teeth grinding. I know from first hand experience that Wellbutrin, a mild stimulant, is terrible for this. The main reason I couldn't take 300mg Wellbutrin was because it was making my gums receed. I was constantly clenching my jaw while sleeping. Getting a $30 mouth guard from the drug store helps, but it might not be enough. I clench and grind so hard that I shred right through those mouth guards in a couple months. People who are not on drugs but have a lot of anxiety tend to grind and clench a lot. If you're one of those people and you start taking drugs, that might be a major concern.

Lastly, meth heads have rotten and infected teeth. This is caused by constantly consuming sugary food then not brushing their teeth. When people are super high on stimulants, they can forget to take care of themselves. You really need to remember to brush your damn teeth. I have no clue why, but people on stimulants just don't seem to care as much. I would go totally insane if I didn't brush at least twice a day. The feeling of coffee mouth really bugs me.

Follow all of the above stuff, and you can stay high on things like Ritalin or Dexedrine for years without turning into a zombie and without losing all of your teeth.
-eat lots vegetables
-eat lots of protein
-eat lots of fat
-take tons of vitamin C
-take B vitamin complex
-buy a mouth guard
-brush your damn teeth

Reactions: meedo

·
Banned
218 Posts
You don't have to answer if you don't want to that's fine but why did she "suspect" ADD? I don't know if I have it myself but thought there would be a number of tests to be done to actually tell if you have it or not.

A psychiatrist just "suspecting" ADD then handing out Concerta just seems irresponsible on her part in my opinion.

·
:/
957 Posts
Only from what I've experienced: I find Nardil/Parnate great for getting physical work done like housework type chores. My procrastination and avoidance is mostly gone. However, things that involve sitting still like reading, watching movies, etc. extremely difficult. Anxiety seems to increase (even though it was already high to begin with). Adding benzos to MAOIs just seemed to make me sleepy, lethargic, and almost take away the main benefit of taking a MAOI (that increased drive, motivation, and energy)

For me insomnia is a huge issue. Ambien was working pretty well, but seemed to lost its effectiveness after half a year. I'm not sure what to do anymore except just take short naps when needed. :/ That's another reason anything involved sitting still is difficult; I fall asleep. hehe

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
You don't have to answer if you don't want to that's fine but why did she "suspect" ADD? I don't know if I have it myself but thought there would be a number of tests to be done to actually tell if you have it or not.

A psychiatrist just "suspecting" ADD then handing out Concerta just seems irresponsible on her part in my opinion.
The doctors who demand tests are ****s. My gf has a serious problem with ADD, and her jerk doctor insisted on testing it. 6 MONTHS later, she had a prescription.

Why do doctors always assume you are lying? You go in with a knife sticking out of your neck and they will call you a liar when you say you have a stab wound. My GF was basically called a liar by every doctor. She would go in there and say she can't think worth crap and she constantly loses things and gets lost in the middle of sentences. They said she had an anxiety problem and gave her SSRI drugs. After that made everything worse (no sh!t sherlock), she would go back and they would give her another SSRI. Wake the hell up, god damn retard doctors. Giving someone serotonin does not fix symptoms of ADD. Are doctors required to be drug addicts? Like you can't go into practice unless you test positive for PCP addiction? "This patient clearly has dopamine problems, so I'm going to screw around and give them medications that I know for a fact will cloud their mental abilities even more! Then I'll post about it on Facebook and all of my douchy doctor friends will laugh at the patient and thumb it up!"

Reactions: voyageuse and meedo

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Depends, depends, depends.

If you have ADHD I'd avoid the Nardil because I don't think you wouldn't be able to take the stim with an MAOI. Personally I'd start with one med at a time. If you have Avoidant Personality Disorder I don't think meds are going to help you. AvPD is no just an extreme form of SA it is a personality disorder. You really need to see a good therapist if that is the case. Has your psych determined that you definitely have a personality disorder?
Thanks my man for your answer and advice!! .. i dont know for sure if i have ADD ... and if i do have it .. then me and the doctor will have to make a decision what to try first and see what results it gets.. So i agree with you .. i need to start one med at a time in order to monitor the effect.

I came to the conclusion that i have an avoidant personality disorder based on my own research. I gave the doctor my notes and articles .. ( i have written a 4 page letter for her .. so she has a full report on my previous development.. as well as printed for her references from the net from trusted sources)

My social phobia on the index on this site is 36 ( Libowetz index or something).. i nearly dont have any symptoms of social phobia on that index except 2 .. talking to people in authority and approaching the other sex.... .. Meaning that i have issues with these two items and not the whole spectrum for social phobia..and according to the index .. i have no social phobia as you have to score 50 at least .

I dont regards AvPD or social phobia as very different in terms of treatment.. no medecine can ''treat'' social phobia and no medicine can '' treat'' AvPD ..... it is all temporary and once you stop the medication you go back unless you have built a cognitive behavioral success . If i am seeking medication it would not be to treat any condition.. weather be it social phobia or AvPD .. it would be to suppress them so i can live.. same with ADD ... these things are stuck with me for life and CBT can help me cope .and may be in some instances learn new thoughts and behaviours. Medication only masks or suppresses these issues.

btw.. my doctor just send me by post .. a questionnaire for ADHD and personality disorders. She also thanked me for the letter and the articles and she thought they were interesting to read hehe.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, if you do it right. Strangely, most of these problems relate to not eating enough food, or eating the wrong kind of food.
To understand why stimulants are hard on the body, you need to understand what causes the notorious "meth mouth" that meth heads have. You'll need to image search that since I don't want to link to it. Things like "meth mouth" and "faces of meth" are caused by a combination of things stimulants do. This is all stimulants, not just meth.

Stimulants increase metabolic rate, so it puts extra strain on the liver and kidneys. You'll need more antioxidants to clear that crap out. Eat more vegetables and take vitamin C. You should probably take more vitamin C anyway. It's amazing what vitamin C does in the body. I take ridiculous amounts of vitamin C (like 10g per day) because I'm on Nardil; it causes random bruising and rashes if I don't take vitamin C. Nardil is almost like self-inflicted scurvy if you don't take vitamin C with it. Just like scurvy, vitamin C fixes it. Ever notice that meth heads in the Faces of Meth picture always seem to have gaping wounds on their faces? That's not just caused by scratching your face like a meth head. Without vitamin C, those wounds don't heal very fast; that's basically what scurvy is.

Burning through dopamine and noradrenaline like it's going out of style means the body needs more amino acids to rebuild all of that; you need to eat protein. Meth heads have a hard time with this one because stimulants drive appetite way down, they can't eat as much because the stomach shrinks, and people on stimulants often crave things that are high in sugar as opposed to things high in protein and fat. Meth heads are powered by Coca Cola; you won't see them ordering a baconator. Without any protein in the diet, the body is forced to eat itself. What's the alternative? Just shut down all dopamine production due to a lack of available amino acids and die? Of course not. The body needs to eat itself to keep the brain running. You'll notice meth heads look like zombies if they've been on meth for a long time. That's what happens when your body eats itself to keep the brain alive. You can fix that getting your amino acids from eating food, just like a normal person.

Burning through neurotransmitters also means you need more vitamins, specifically B vitamins. B vitamins normally come from eating meat. If you're a meth head powered by sugary drinks, you won't be getting any B vitamins. That screws up everything. I'm on Nardil, which is known to cause vitamin B6 deficiency, so I take multivitamins every day. Lots of drugs are known to cause vitamin problems. Almost every alcoholic has a serious B vitamin deficiency. As do meth heads, coke heads, Nardil heads (lol), and people on various other drugs.

People with meth are often missing teeth. This is partly caused by constant jaw clenching and teeth grinding. I know from first hand experience that Wellbutrin, a mild stimulant, is terrible for this. The main reason I couldn't take 300mg Wellbutrin was because it was making my gums receed. I was constantly clenching my jaw while sleeping. Getting a $30 mouth guard from the drug store helps, but it might not be enough. I clench and grind so hard that I shred right through those mouth guards in a couple months. People who are not on drugs but have a lot of anxiety tend to grind and clench a lot. If you're one of those people and you start taking drugs, that might be a major concern.

Lastly, meth heads have rotten and infected teeth. This is caused by constantly consuming sugary food then not brushing their teeth. When people are super high on stimulants, they can forget to take care of themselves. You really need to remember to brush your damn teeth. I have no clue why, but people on stimulants just don't seem to care as much. I would go totally insane if I didn't brush at least twice a day. The feeling of coffee mouth really bugs me.

Follow all of the above stuff, and you can stay high on things like Ritalin or Dexedrine for years without turning into a zombie and without losing all of your teeth.
-eat lots vegetables
-eat lots of protein
-eat lots of fat
-take tons of vitamin C
-take B vitamin complex
-buy a mouth guard
-brush your damn teeth
Dude... you are so awesome and honestly speaking.. thank you so much for all this advice!! i will need it !!! and i will implement it when i am on the meds!! You rock!

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

She suspected ADD because i have a very short attention span, i can't focus on difficult tasks for long.. i get bored very easily for difficult tasks., i learn slower than other people, i failed my driving license 4 times.. i feel almost thick in the head like there is a jello layer around my brain . I am not sharp at all and i miss all sort of cues... i have problems with procrastinations and motivation.. i rarely finish a book till the end .. i have huge problems with perseverance.

She told me she will let me see a psychologist... , she already sent me today questionnaire for ADD and Depression and personality disorders. She has not prescribed concerta for me yet .. she has just mentioned that it could be am option if i have ADD.. and i think i definitely have some sort of an attention problem. I dont think she is irresponsible at all. Past doctors just dismissed me until i almost broke down .. it is so bad when you are about to collapse in your life and the doctor just wont help you because he just cant fit you in a box !!! and it si worse when it turns out that he is just incompetent!!!

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Only from what I've experienced: I find Nardil/Parnate great for getting physical work done like housework type chores. My procrastination and avoidance is mostly gone. However, things that involve sitting still like reading, watching movies, etc. extremely difficult. Anxiety seems to increase (even though it was already high to begin with). Adding benzos to MAOIs just seemed to make me sleepy, lethargic, and almost take away the main benefit of taking a MAOI (that increased drive, motivation, and energy)

For me insomnia is a huge issue. Ambien was working pretty well, but seemed to lost its effectiveness after half a year. I'm not sure what to do anymore except just take short naps when needed. :/ That's another reason anything involved sitting still is difficult; I fall asleep. hehe
That is really eye opening what you mentioned.. i have issues with procrastination and avoidance big time!!

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The doctors who demand tests are ****s. My gf has a serious problem with ADD, and her jerk doctor insisted on testing it. 6 MONTHS later, she had a prescription.

Why do doctors always assume you are lying? You go in with a knife sticking out of your neck and they will call you a liar when you say you have a stab wound. My GF was basically called a liar by every doctor. She would go in there and say she can't think worth crap and she constantly loses things and gets lost in the middle of sentences. They said she had an anxiety problem and gave her SSRI drugs. After that made everything worse (no sh!t sherlock), she would go back and they would give her another SSRI. Wake the hell up, god damn retard doctors. Giving someone serotonin does not fix symptoms of ADD. Are doctors required to be drug addicts? Like you can't go into practice unless you test positive for PCP addiction? "This patient clearly has dopamine problems, so I'm going to screw around and give them medications that I know for a fact will cloud their mental abilities even more! Then I'll post about it on Facebook and all of my douchy doctor friends will laugh at the patient and thumb it up!"
Couldn't have said it better ...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts