Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So,, I was diagnosed with ADD by my most recent psychiatrist and I kind of deep down don't think I have ADD.

My doctor prescribed me some adderall and I have been taking it on and off for about a year. Now let me say, without adderall it seems as though I am not stimulated by anything. It is almost impossible to read and enjoy reading, or really do anything without adderall. Every so often my mind will start telling me that I should feel guilty for taking these stimulants and I don't need them or that I am doing harm to myself by taking them. I will discontinue use of the stimulants and try to function without them but I always end up not wanting to get out of bed and dread rather simple tasks even much more then say if I decided to take adderall.

Anyway, the question I am posing is, if Adderall actually helped you somewhat even if you thought you might not have add would you take it?

Do you think I should stop taking it?

I am almost kind of scared to give it up, Ive stopped taking it for 3 months so I know I am not addicted to it. I just ask this because my doctor will write me a script in a few days when I go visit him.

Is it all mind over matter? Can I actually perform without these stimulants even though it seems that I can't?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Well, it's hard to tell EXACTLY what is causing your problem. ADD can and has been misdiagnosed in a lot of people. While I was on SSRI anti-depressants certainly I felt like I was suffering from ADD at times, and if I remember before I started those I somewhat recall some ADD symptoms. But, anxiety manifests itself in so many ways, it's hard to know if it's the actual anxiety, with ruminating or if ADD is indeed the culprit. Over here in the UK, ADHD tends to be the one that is more diagnosed. But in the US, I think ADD tends to be diagnosed more along with ADHD.

Hopefully others here can shed more light into ADD, who are more experienced.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Well if the Adderall seems to be helping you, then I guess I'd keep taking it.
Regardless of what your Dr diagnosed you with, he gave you this medication to help improve your life, so if it is doing that then keep taking it as directed and no need to feel guilty, I think personally.

·
:No Worries:
182 Posts
Exactly if it seems to help you feel better then take it. If not then don't. I know some people who really despise using "Drugs" to get them through life, but to be honest why not make the best out of the time you have here? You could live ever day in misery, or feel good enough to wake up and live. I like the latter idea. Plus its not like your on the street doing heroine or something, Adderroll has been proven to be fairly safe.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I guess I know what you are saying.

Everybody is different.

I take bupropion and after a few weeks, I get intense concentration a lot of times, where I read everything and find things interesting. I love the wakefullness.

I found your post interesting because I was actually thinking of adderall, but I worry about stopping bupropion because it is working and so I probably will stick with it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts