Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seriously, if I could get over the physical symptoms I would be fine. It Is the physical symptoms that make me afraid to go out in public out of fear of embarrassment. I have a really hard time making eye contact and nodding my head. if I feel like someone is looking at me in a judgemental way I can't eat or drink I can't answer a question to the best of my ability. my face muscles tighten up in social situations when I'm trying to smile. does anybody else have this problem? Because it is the only thing that holds me back. If I could just find a way to get over this I could actually move on with my life. it's ridiculous I have let this one problem control my entire life for almost 4 years now

·
Angst Abolition
440 Posts
Yes. I used to have this. Not as extreme as you do, but i used to. And I'm still getting learning to relax my face. Here's what I've been doing that has worked tremendously in the last few weeks:

Setting aside a good half hour or so to practice talking, and while doing so, reminding myself "I will do this when I am in a social situation". It may sound like hooey, but the power of an experience alone that you associate with a social situation is effective. Your mind will recall the experience when you are talking to people at some point, and you will be able to loosen up a bit, if that makes sense?

I'm interested to see if this works:

1. When you are alone, become VERY aware of what it feels like to be "loose". Just become aware of it. If we want to consciously induce relaxation when we are with people, we have to know what it feels like to be in that state we are trying to induce

2. Literally PRACTICE talking a bit SLOWER, and focus on loosening all your muscles when you are alone. Become aware of what it feels like. Ask yourself "What if I can do this while I'm with people?" to sort of stimulate your brain with new questions.

3. Go out and practice saying "hi" while being completely loose. Don't worry about anything else. Just one statement or word, so that you have hopes of staying relax throughout the entirety of your interaction with people. Just like before, become aware of what it feels like to be relaxed in the situation.

4. Move your way up..extend the length of time you talk to people.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You're not alone. I have been struggling with anxiety for a few years and can relate, mainly to the neck stiffness. It's constant and gets worse while in public or talking. I found that cracking my neck helps a bit, wish I knew how to fix this problem

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
I get all that. Especially the frozen face thing. Then I freak out about looking like some weirdo or stuck up a hole or something. Causes me a ton of anxiety. Ive been doing CBT and slow talk for a week and a half. Hoping it becomes effective as time goes on.

·
Ugly Weirdo
17 Posts
You can't believe how happy I am that I'm not alone with this. I thought I was until today for the last 4-5 years! I just googled wrong :eek: I don't whish this feeling to my worst enemy it completely ruined my life in every single aspect of my life.

So now is the time to get this handled, it will be my active goal for the next time until it's gone. I just read that natural detox helped some guys and of course relaxation of the muscles (especially the one lightly above the area where your mono brow would be).

Wish everyone with this problem the BEST luck!

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Yeah, i also agree.. that's my main issue with anxiety, a major, major one.. especially if people get tempered with me, or as someone else said, a dirty look, i get somewhat frozen, & a stiff neck, & it usually happens in tense situations.. i wish it was that simple to just relax, & be aware of my surroundings, but i'll give that technique a try.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts