Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
SAS Member
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you who don't know, the late Steve Jobs said a speech at the Stanford college commencement in 2005. In his speech, he stresses what he believes; that it is best to follow your heart in work and relationships and spend your time being involved with things that you enjoy and that which interests you.

He says he was lucky, because he was able to get in touch with what he liked at a young age.
As far as I know, he didn't have anxiety problems.
Personally, my anxiety has hindered me getting in touch with what I enjoy and find interesting. I suspect this is fairly common with people with anxiety problems.
I like Steve Jobs's advice. I really want to do what he says, and find out what I love, I suspect many other people here do to.

I feel like anxiety has made a delicate task trickier than usual. What is the answer? focuss on decreasing anxiety first? or hope that it will wain if it is ignored and attention is paid to test trialing activities and experiences?

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
nobody rarely find out what they love by design, usually they find out through trial and error what they want their lifes purpose to be. i dont think there is any shortcut for anxiety sufferers; like all other people, the only way for us to find what we are looking for is to take risks and make decisions not based on the worst case scenario could end up like but what the best case scenario can be. a lot of sa sufferers fancy themselves as "realists" and hate on optimism but sometimes you have to take high-risk gambles in life in order for extraordinary things to happen. the anxiety-suffering comedian mike birbiglia said it best imo when he said that "delusion is a huge part of my life...particularly when i was starting out, because when you start out theres so much failure, and amid all that failure you have to tell yourself that things are going quite nicely". achieving your dreams often boils down to perseverence. steve jobs was kicked out of apple in the mid 1980's; he persevered, founded pixar, and a decade later apple begged him to come back.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts