Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
SOS Member
4,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since I install Steam on my Win 8.1 Update 1 machine the windows metro start menu freezing up almost every time I turn it on my PC or switch user account.

I'm not sure if it is just a coincidence or it is really caused by Steam app.

Event viewer shows something like "The program Explorer.EXE stopped interacting with Windows and was closed." every time the metro start menu freeze.

The mouse is responding and I can bring up the task manager to log off user account and re-login again. It just that the metro interface not responding to mouse click.

I'm wondering Steam users here on Win 8.1 Update 1 ever came across this problem.

·
Villain in glasses
3,511 Posts
Steam freezes for me sometimes, i got rid of the metro menu though so ive never seen that freeze.

·
SOS Member
4,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Steam freezes for me sometimes, i got rid of the metro menu though so ive never seen that freeze.
You mean Steam freezes your Metro interface or the Steam application itself freezes?

Did you check the event viewer to determine what was the error?

I know we can bypass the Metro upon start up, but I like the interface better than the traditional desktop view.

·
AtheistInSearchOfPawgs
1,804 Posts
Windows 8.1 ruined one of my desktops and made everything run extremely slow

If you have windows 8, just stick with it, don't upgrade

·
Registered
648 Posts
Ugh, such a stupid OS. I guess if win8 comes with your computer there's a certain understanding as to why you don't want to bother wiping it out and installing a valid OS like Win7, but I really don't understand the people who actually buy it. Yes, I WANT to have problems while I beta test this piece of **** and pay someone for the privilege. I've had people tell me games run faster on it. I don't think they realize what a ****ing OS even is. You could just get a better video card with the money you pissed away on that horse ****. And if a ****ty OS happened to interact more effectively with video cards, why not just shove that into the working OS instead taking a big dump on a keyboard and calling it a development cycle?

·
Moron
4,621 Posts
Ever since I install Steam on my Win 8.1 Update 1 machine the windows metro start menu freezing up almost every time I turn it on my PC or switch user account.

I'm not sure if it is just a coincidence or it is really caused by Steam app.

Event viewer shows something like "The program Explorer.EXE stopped interacting with Windows and was closed." every time the metro start menu freeze.

The mouse is responding and I can bring up the task manager to log off user account and re-login again. It just that the metro interface not responding to mouse click.

I'm wondering Steam users here on Win 8.1 Update 1 ever came across this problem.
What have you got running at startup?

·
SOS Member
4,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What have you got running at startup?
Only apps associated with Intel/Microsoft, Comodo firewall, and Conexant Audio. I disabled some of the less important startup apps like Adobe reader, Scansoft paperport (scanning software), etc.

I didn't install many apps in the PC and removed the bloatware that comes with the system image (Bing, ebay, etc).

I runs fine for 1.3 years but the problem arised after I install Steam and Tomb Raider. Not sure if it is related or not.

·
SOS Member
4,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Probably is. Steam is starting to get bloated. Try uninstalling Tomb Raider and see what that does.
Tried to google but didn't anyone having the whole Metro interface freeze. Most of the complains were related to Metro apps crashed when clicked.

I will remove Steam and Tomb Raider on this weekends. See what happens.

·
Moron
4,621 Posts
Tried to google but didn't anyone having the whole Metro interface freeze. Most of the complains were related to Metro apps crashed when clicked.

I will remove Steam and Tomb Raider on this weekends. See what happens.
Okay. Did the game install any directx or visual basic run-times files?

·
Villain in glasses
3,511 Posts
You mean Steam freezes your Metro interface or the Steam application itself freezes?

Did you check the event viewer to determine what was the error?

I know we can bypass the Metro upon start up, but I like the interface better than the traditional desktop view.
Nah just steam. I've been meaning to check the logs but I've been too lazy XD. Overall i would have wiped windows off my new pc and replace it with xubuntu or something, but most of my games only work on windows :p. I've also had a lot of game compatibility problems with win 8, I've heard alot of older games wont work with it.

·
SOS Member
4,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No, it shouldn't be. Older visual basic run-times could be a problem in Win 8.
Deleting Steam and Tomb Raider didn't solve it. I even restored to the date before I installed the apps, still random Metro freeze.

I ended up restore from factory image. That solved it.

Nah just steam. I've been meaning to check the logs but I've been too lazy XD. Overall i would have wiped windows off my new pc and replace it with xubuntu or something, but most of my games only work on windows :p. I've also had a lot of game compatibility problems with win 8, I've heard alot of older games wont work with it.
This is the first time I installed Steam. I play ps3 games mostly.

·
Moron
4,621 Posts
Deleting Steam and Tomb Raider didn't solve it. I even restored to the date before I installed the apps, still random Metro freeze.

I ended up restore from factory image. That solved it.
I'm betting it was an old visual basic run-time that didn't uninstall with Steam and the game. The restore probably didn't have that installed. Anyway, glad you fixed it. Sorry I didn't help much.

·
SOS Member
4,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm betting it was an old visual basic run-time that didn't uninstall with Steam and the game. The restore probably didn't have that installed. Anyway, glad you fixed it. Sorry I didn't help much.
Forgot to add; did you install any new drivers around the time you updated Steam and installed the game?
That was what I thought. Cos when I uninstalled and restored to previous date, the Steam apps and Tomb Raider folders were still in the program files. The folders still contain files, definitely not empty folders.

I did not update new drivers around the time I installed the app and game.

Don't be sorry, you already helped a lot. Thanks.

·
Moron
4,621 Posts
That was what I thought. Cos when I uninstalled and restored to previous date, the Steam apps and Tomb Raider folders were still in the program files. The folders still contain files, definitely not empty folders.
The run-time system files usually go in the windows system directory.

jim11 said:
Don't be sorry, you already helped a lot. Thanks.
You're welcome. :)

·
SOS Member
4,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The run-time system files usually go in the windows system directory.

You're welcome. :)
Now I don't dare to reinstall steam but I want to play the game lol... I got Win 7 but the laptop is not capable to run the game...dang!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts