Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, l'm gonna try Zyprexa for the first time tonight - l've delayed it because l'm so nervous. I know it's an anti-pyschotic and used for schizophrenia, and knowing how powerful it must be is freaking me out. Plus l've read in this section it causes weight gain, and on the pamphlett it says extreme sunburn (l'm fair so that's a worry).

I'm only on 2.5 mg a day for OCD (trichotillomania - hair pulling) so l'm hoping it will go okay. The psychiatriast had success with another tricho patient on Zyprexa. I take 125mg of Effexor for sp and depression which does nothing except make me more anxious. Trichotillo is really hard to treat, cbt hasn't helped me at all, and l'm desperate to stop the urge to rip my hair. The psychiatrist said l may experience dizziness for a few days and a bigger appetite so maybe that's all l'll get.

It's interesting how different people have such different physiological reactions to these meds. I've been on Zoloft, Effexor and Lexapro with no real side effects, bar a slight tic occasionally. I'll write how it goes soon. Wish it helped with sleep, someone wrote it gives you a drugged sleep and you wake up feeling drugged too - oh great!
Well, here goes...

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
I think you should give some other drugs a try before moving onto anti-psychs. They are rather unpleasant to say the least.

Some recommendations:

• Mirtazapine (Remeron)
  • Moclobemide (Aurorix)
  • Phenelzine (Nardil)
  • An SSRI, e.g. fluoxetine (Prozac). SNRIs increase noradrenaline, which can make you more nervous.
  • Pregabalin (Lyrica)

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
[antipsychotics] are rather unpleasant to say the least.
Zyprexa is the drug that I've ranted about more than any other. It's the drug that made me gain 25# in only 6 weeks. If you suffer from being too thin (a truly rare ailment) then this is the perfect drug for you. I had a GP that picked this as the first drug for me to try, despite the fact that when I came to him I (back in 2003) weighed in at 246# and needed beta blockers to bring down the high blood pressure that resulted from my weight (my peak BP reading was 160/120). And this brain dead GP gives my Zyprexa, despite the fact that I was already suffering the effects of obesity and I even bring up the weight issue -- how Zyprexa is infamous for packing on the pounds.

He simply dismisses my concerns with "Not everyone gains weight". I'd suggest he play Russian Roulette as not everyone ends up with a bullet in their head.

·
Starlight and moonbeams
20,920 Posts
I went from a size 30 to a size 40, just by going on Zyprexa. I've been off it and on a different drug for less than 6 months, and I'm already down to a size 36, without changing any of my eating habits.

My advice is, if you want a drug that'll pack on the pounds and make it hard to lose, pick Zyprexa. Otherwise, find a different drug that works just as well.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
Otherwise, find a different drug that works just as well.
Zyprexa works? Other than producing an unpleasant drugged feeling and making me eat everything in sight, I sure didn't see any effect. And I went to 20 mg a day.

Maybe it didn't work for me because I'm definitely not psychotic and I could be further from bipolar.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's the next afternoon and l feel fine, no side effects at all yet. Expect some effect soon though. I'm slim, just in the healthy weight category, so putting on a bit of weight wouldn't bother me, although l hardly excerise these days - too unmotivated.

Euphoria - did any of those drugs help you?

It's so impossible to find a therapist that gets me and knows how to help me, that it's easy to believe meds may help, though they haven't so far.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Zyprexa was kind of fun because it made everything taste good. I would have full meals and still be as hungry as I was to begin with. You'd think I was stoned or something.

Antipsychotics can be calming in lower dosages so it may help. I would certainly keep an eye on your weight. Not only can zyprexa increase appetite, it can also slow down metabolism.

·
Starlight and moonbeams
20,920 Posts
Zyprexa works? Other than producing an unpleasant drugged feeling and making me eat everything in sight, I sure didn't see any effect. And I went to 20 mg a day.

Maybe it didn't work for me because I'm definitely not psychotic and I could be further from bipolar.
Yeah, I'm bipolar and it worked great for my mood. I would have stayed on it, if I didn't have had to cope with the weight.

I've tried so many meds for my mood, and so far, only Risperdal and Zyprexa have helped my bipolar.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts