Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Jet-setting Space Cadet
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Just to give a little context, I've just recently kick-started a proactive search for antidepressants that will help with my low energy and anxiety issues (social anxiety, panic attacks, etc...). I just recently had a pretty rough experience with Wellbutrin 150 mg XL - exacerbated my anxiety and gave me a ****-ton of side effects. So I quit that after 10 days, been off of it for about a week. Just spoke with my Psych and she's taking me off the wellbutrin and putting me on Zoloft (some low dose, like 25 mg).

So I ask the internet - what is your personal experience with Zoloft? What side effects have you experienced? Can you drink alcohol / smoke weed while on it? I read that NSAID pain killers can worsen side effects - does this mean I can't take ibuprofen / tylenol / hydrocodone? I know that mixing MDMA and SSRI's is a bad idea / ineffective, I just want to get an idea of the limitations and benefits of Zoloft. Any and all thoughts are welcome.

Thank you!

·
Akward
845 Posts
Zoloft was horrible. . Then again I'm bipolar and often medications do the opposite of what they should.. literally

·
Jet-setting Space Cadet
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Zoloft was horrible. . Then again I'm bipolar and often medications do the opposite of what they should.. literally
What happened when you took Zoloft?

·
Registered
274 Posts
I am also Bipolar. Bipolar 1 to be exact. I saw a primary doc for anxiety way back & she gave me Zoloft. It made me extremely manic, like I was on speed, I was totally paranoid, didn't sleep, felt totally out of control. I grinded my teeth & was bouncing off the walls. I had to stop taking it. Didn't do anything for me. The I tried Paxil which was somewhat better but I still was out of sorts. Finally I saw an actual psychiatrist who diagnosed me Bipolar 1. If you are bipolar & take just an ssri it can really mess you up causing mania, & other bad issues. Now I take an ssri but with an anti-psychotic for my moods.

Bottom line Zoloft can be great for some for depression or social anxiety but I'd make sure you aren't bipolar before taking it. If you aren't, it still migt not work, but it's trial and error with all meds.

·
Jet-setting Space Cadet
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well as far as I can tell, I don't think I'm bi-polar. But I did ust try Wellbutrin for 10 days and felt like I was an a dirty form of crack. Then again, wellbutrin metabolites are somewhat related to amphetamines so I suppose that could explain it. I just picked up my script for Zoloft (25 mg, lowest dosage), will start dosing tomorrow. I'll keep you posted on my experience, although I doubt I'll notice much at first on such a low dose. I'm just hoping it helps with anxiety, since that's what I struggle with most. That and low energy. I guess I'm just wondering if people have experienced improvements in these areas when using Zoloft?

·
You can do this!
4,464 Posts
Zoloft is awesome. IMHO the best SSRI for low-energy introvert types. There are of course no guarantees.

Reactions: Quiker

·
Jet-setting Space Cadet
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Zoloft is awesome. IMHO the best SSRI for low-energy introvert types. There are of course no guarantees.
Ah that's absolutely wonderful to hear. I primarily suffer from low energy and SAD, which in combination is gradually making me more introverted. I'm really hoping that Zoloft will kill two birds with one stone - help with the anxiety, and increase energy.

I was just re-reading the drug info that came with the script. It claims Zoloft can make you drowsy, especially in combination with benzos and alcohol. I take 5-10 mg valium daily, so I'm wondering if that'll worsen the energy levels or even it out over time, and help me wean off the benzos?

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Serotonin is meh blah

Your symptoms don't sound serotonin based but you didn't really give enough info
How is your concentration/memory ?

Zoloft max dose for 12 weeks gave me insomnia and that's it
Cold turkeyed it and felt dizzy for 2 days then back to normal

·
Jet-setting Space Cadet
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I can try to summarize my major symptoms:

-Low energy, I struggle from the moment I wake up to the moment I fall asleep. I feel like I have a cloud over my head. Caffeine helps temporarily but I have to fight off sleep frequently throughout the day

-Bitter outlook. Any suggestions, idea, opportunity, and task - I can come up with a million and one reasons why it's not worth doing. This affects my SAD - a friend's birthday comes up, and I justify to myself that I'm too tired or it's too much effort to go out by myself into town, so I end up not socializing, etc...

-I do find enjoyment in activities, such as exercising, gaming, seeing good friends, etc... But I have serious trouble finding new interests. Nothing outside of my already established hobbies seems interesting whatsoever. Maybe it's an anxiety thing, I'm too anxious to get out and try something new so I convince myself it's not worth doing.

-SAD and GAD - I get that flight-or-fight feeling when stressed, the valium evens me out but the core problem isn't solved. I generally feel bitter or neutral about day to day things, which could be a side effect of the valium. In any case, my doc thinks I have Dysthymia.

My concentration is spot-on, but my short-term memory is spotty since I was put on benzos, but that is no doubt due to the valium.

Someone on another thread suggested the combo of Zoloft and Wellbutrin (a.k.a welloft, lol) and I thought that was a great idea. You get that extra pep of NRI and DRI from wellbutrin (taking care of the low energy problem), while the SSRI effect of Zoloft takes care of the anxiety. Wellbutrin on its on just made me feel like I was on speed, and made my anxiety so much worse. When I suggested it to my doc today she disregarded it and put me on the lowest dosage of Zoloft. So I'll give that a shot, but I may say **** it and start combining them after a few weeks. Definitely gonna switch doctors though, haha.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
as mentioned by others, each person will have a different reaction to setraline/zoloft, so i dont think starting on the lowest dosage for zoloft is a bad idea for now. for what its worth, my experience with zoloft was bad. it would make my head spin and i could not focus on my job when i was on it because it felt like my mind was racing and i was dizzy.

·
Jet-setting Space Cadet
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
as mentioned by others, each person will have a different reaction to setraline/zoloft, so i dont think starting on the lowest dosage for zoloft is a bad idea for now. for what its worth, my experience with zoloft was bad. it would make my head spin and i could not focus on my job when i was on it because it felt like my mind was racing and i was dizzy.
So you would say Zoloft had an upper effect?

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
So you would say Zoloft had an upper effect?
for me it kind of did, and obviously that has pros and cons. can't argue with the fact that it made me care less about anxiety though..

·
Jet-setting Space Cadet
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So you definitely experienced a decreased amount of anxiety overall?

·
You can do this!
4,464 Posts
I can try to summarize my major symptoms:

-Low energy, I struggle from the moment I wake up to the moment I fall asleep. I feel like I have a cloud over my head. Caffeine helps temporarily but I have to fight off sleep frequently throughout the day
What is your sleep like?

-Bitter outlook. Any suggestions, idea, opportunity, and task - I can come up with a million and one reasons why it's not worth doing. This affects my SAD - a friend's birthday comes up, and I justify to myself that I'm too tired or it's too much effort to go out by myself into town, so I end up not socializing, etc...
Hmm, what do you think is the REAL reason why you don't socialize? Or is it true that it's a matter of energy and effort?

-I do find enjoyment in activities, such as exercising, gaming, seeing good friends, etc... But I have serious trouble finding new interests. Nothing outside of my already established hobbies seems interesting whatsoever. Maybe it's an anxiety thing, I'm too anxious to get out and try something new so I convince myself it's not worth doing.
Are you happy with what you do? Maybe you're just an introvert and that's okay? What is it you're missing?

-SAD and GAD - I get that flight-or-fight feeling when stressed, the valium evens me out but the core problem isn't solved. I generally feel bitter or neutral about day to day things, which could be a side effect of the valium. In any case, my doc thinks I have Dysthymia.
Can you give an example of feeling bitter about day to day things?

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
So you definitely experienced a decreased amount of anxiety overall?
well for me it did, because my depression and anxiety are closely linked and feed off each other. i remember the side effects more clearly but i also stuck out that routine (never upped or dropped the dosage tho) so at a certain point in time it was worth it for me.

·
Jet-setting Space Cadet
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My sleep seems to follow the same pattern every night - fall asleep, sleep 4-5 hours straight uninterrupted, then wake up, followed by fitful on and off sleep for the next 2-3 hours.

Socializing wise I'm pretty badly disillusioned by my friends. Seems like everyone isn't interested in socializing, I always have to be the one to reach out and try to make plans. I often run into flakiness, and thus disappointment, so I'm gradually losing the motivation to reach out. And I have little to no support from my friends on trying new things and meeting new people. I try and encourage others to go out to meetup.com events and such, but no one wants to join in. My SAD keeps me from being able to go to those type of events on my own. So it's a bitter cycle.

I am not happy with what I do. I feel like if I could find more interests and hobbies, inherently I would be given more opportunities to meet people with similar interests, thus improving my social / romantic prospects.

Here's an example from today. I get a callback for an in person interview at a prestigious company. The company and work sounds quite interesting, and I'm flattered to be considered. However, the company is located way downtown, a two hour commute or so. I get to thinking...I hate commuting. I hated it when my commute was only 45 minutes, but now 2 hours? I'd need to move to be closer. But it's so ****ing expensive. I feel like I'd get fed up with commuting so quickly that it'd jade the other aspects of the job experience. Stepping back objectively on these thoughts it becomes clear that I have a natural tendency to take anything, even positive things, and twist and wring negativity out of it

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
My personal experience w zoloft amounts to near uselessness. Dont be disheartened, it may work for you..

Zoloft made me clammy, edgy and jittery. In all my periods of med intake i havent found them to provide a life changing improvement.. your mind will probaby revert back to low moods etc if you dont have a habit of good thinking, and your anxiety will even be more intolerable then.

Its been 3 days since i stopped zoloft and i was extremely tired today. Citroplam is my nxt choice but i just dont believe it can help. The only thing that has helped substantially is my habits and goals. It is hard but yeah..thinking positively about the situation repeatedly will be your saviour.

i kind of relate to what you say about commuting etc. But now i just do it ..( insert nike logo ) ahah..

now i have to attend school from early morning to night..well only once a wk( but school 3 days total).you can do it. Plus i find that its life and you just gotta look at it in a mature way..( i kinda started late but ah well.. late than never right??)

Anyways good luck!!!!

Posted via Topify on Android

·
Banned
8,760 Posts
I've been on Zoloft for a little over two weeks now, and so far it's been really good at keeping my anxiety under control. I know it's still too early to tell really, but I can usually tell within two weeks if an SSRI is going to work for me or not. (this is the fourth ssri I've been on) I don't feel jittery, and no hypomania (and I'm bipolar). My energy level has been really good, much better than when I was on Prozac. I've seen an improvement in my SAD and GAD as well. Not sure if this will last but I'm cautiously optimistic. The worst side effects for me has been dry mouth and insomnia. Anyway everyone reacts differently. Hope you have good results.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I've been on Zoloft for a little over two weeks now, and so far it's been really good at keeping my anxiety under control. I know it's still too early to tell really, but I can usually tell within two weeks if an SSRI is going to work for me or not. (this is the fourth ssri I've been on) I don't feel jittery, and no hypomania (and I'm bipolar). My energy level has been really good, much better than when I was on Prozac. I've seen an improvement in my SAD and GAD as well. Not sure if this will last but I'm cautiously optimistic. The worst side effects for me has been dry mouth and insomnia. Anyway everyone reacts differently. Hope you have good results.
How would you describe the insomnia?

I started sertraline the other day, and my insomnia is characterized by early morning awakening, with no difficulty falling asleep at night. I'm just curious.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts