Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I start work as a camp counselor tomorrow. This will be my first time working in two years. I am very nervous, but anxious in a good way as well. I hate these kinds of things, but I feel it will be a "warm up" to get me back in the work force and to make me realize it isn't so bad.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Congrats on the job! A word of caution, since you haven't been in a working environment for two years and I don't know to what extent you might have isolated yourself during this period, you may have to prepare yourself for some really tough times dealing with anxieties and fears at the first go. Just expect that you may find it more difficult than you expected at first and ride the first week in and it should begin to get comfortable from there. I hope it works out for you.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Congrats on the job! A word of caution, since you haven't been in a working environment for two years and I don't know to what extent you might have isolated yourself during this period, you may have to prepare yourself for some really tough times dealing with anxieties and fears at the first go. Just expect that you may find it more difficult than you expected at first and ride the first week in and it should begin to get comfortable from there. I hope it works out for you.
Actually, since that time, my social anxiety has greatly diminished. I am just back on this site because college is approaching and it has my mind deep in worry again. Getting a job has been a major roadblock for me, and is actually one of my last MAJOR social anxiety fears to overcome.

·
Registered
290 Posts
wow best of luck to you.

My only advice is take it easy-don't judge any of the kids too hard if they seem bad or get on your nerves-maybe they are upset, come from troubled family. Try to detach and breathe. Remember we are all parts of the same all-that-is, each a unique express of the Great One (for lack of another name, although there's many), all connected and we do need each other, although no one is perfect!

Congrats on stretching yourself. You can't achieve unless you try!

·
Registered
407 Posts
Goodluck! Let us know how it all goes

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Ah, great news! Anyone would feel nervous after 2 years. You just have to put up with it and eventually you will adjust.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had the worst sleep ever, and actually dreamed that I was extremely late and got fired the first day. I woke up about 12 times throughout the night. Ugh. I'm off soon, bye.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I'm home. It was very tiring, but not so bad. I don't care what any of the other counselors think of me. My girlfriend works there and my two friends are there so that's all I need. I have 8 eight year olds. Today, only 5 showed up, and by the end of the day we were down to 4 since one went home sick. It's sweet. I had no help at first, but then a kid with allergies came into the group so I got a CIT, and he's a big help. I hate the job, but at the same time love it since in a sense it is just so simple. The camp is tiny, the kids are fine and the schedule is so basic. Can't complain...yet.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts