Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im starting nardil tommowow and im somewhat excited and anxious at the same time. Im dreading the side effects and the 3-4 weeks its going to take to start working. Im going to be on 30mg for the first 5 days and then moving up 45 and then going back to the psychiatrist in 6 weeks. He said if we have to we will move up to 60mg but only if its really necessary. I thought the average dose was 60mg to 90mg and i mentioned that i know of some people going above 60 mg and he said he would not go above 60mg, BTW im 6,1 225.

I tried discussing the difference in nardil and parnate and he was completely clueless. I asked him if parnate was more stimulating and he said no? wtf. I went on to ask him about food restrictions and other things to avoid and he just told me to ask the pharmacist. So long story short my old small town shrink is not the best psychiatrist in the world. So if you all could educate me/ give my advice that would be great. I know theres some people on here that know alot about nardil(rocknroll)

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thx for the help guys, im also taking klonopin(which i know isnt a problem) and glutamine and i asked my psychiatrist about glutamine but he didnt know. Also if anybody has any alcohol experiences on nardil i would like to hear them.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I've been on Nardil since January.

As far as the food restrictions, the only very minor problem I've ever had is when I ate an avocado which was a little too ripe. I had a good feeling it was going to cause me problems but I took the chance anyway. And then, the only thing I suffered was a minor boost in blood pressure for an hour or so. I have a home blood pressure monitor to check my BP on occasion. I recommend it highly.

As far as other food restrictions, I have NEVER had any problems. I was very cautious in the beginning of course but as time went on I'd try little things here and there, small amounts of cheese, etc. It's nothing for you to worry about as long as you're not foolish about it in the very beginning.

I don't know if you're a drinker or not, however I drink in moderation and it isn't a problem. But the key is moderation. My usual cocktail is vodka and seltzer and I pour the alcohol using a shot glass. I have two cocktails with a full shot each and then I a third using half a shot. Never have I had any problem at all. Of course, that's now. I didn't do this right away after I began taking the drug. Give your body a little time to get used to the drug before you start drinking.

I hope this helps a little bit. Let me know if you have any other questions.

·
Registered
37 Posts
nardil is still working very well. i supplement with vitamin b about three times per week. i make sure and take it a few hours before or after i take my nardil.

it really does make life so much better.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Also how long did it take for it take for it to kick in and did you experience euphoria the first couple of weeks?

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
thx for the help guys, im also taking klonopin(which i know isnt a problem) and glutamine and i asked my psychiatrist about glutamine but he didnt know. Also if anybody has any alcohol experiences on nardil i would like to hear them.
Glutamine is fine, although there are some other dietry supplements which you should be careful of including st johns wort, SAMe, 5HTP, L-Tryptophan and L-Tyrosine.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
It should be alrite but be careful, or start off trying out small amounts first, as l-theanine can cause a small increase in dopamine and possibly (debatable) serotonin levels.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have a headache right now (dont know if its related to the nardil or not) but is it ok to take any kind of pain medication?

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Although I am no expert in MAOI's it is my understanding that paracetamol (acetaminophen), ibuprofen and asprin should all be fine. The main painkillers that your going to have to avoid are the ones that raise serotonin levels such as tramadol and pethidine (although the latter is usually used in a hospital setting as far as I'm aware).
Always tell any doctor/pharmacist/or dentist that you visit that your taking an MAOI, and it may also be worth getting a medical bracelet.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
What about opiod pain medication are they a no no?
Pure acting opioids such as Codeine and Morphine may be ok, but check with your doctor first. However Tramadol, Demerol and Methadone should definitely be avoided at all costs.

Also you should remember to avoid the following other medications; Dextromethorphan (DXM), Pseudoephedrine, Phenylephrine, Ampetamines, Ephidrine (adrenaline) and most other Antidepressants such as SSRIs, SNRIs, TCA's, and Wellbutrin.

As well as supplements like 5-HTP, L-DOPA, L-Phenylalanine, L-Tryptophan, L-Tyrosine, St John's Wort, SAMe, and L-Theanine.

Always remember to check with your Doctor/Pharmacist before trying anything.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I took some l-theanine today lol, i didnt know it could react with a maoi but nothing happened so i guess im lucky. BTW how did you get your doctor to prescribe 90mg. My doctor acts like 60mg is the end of the road, and i feel like ill probbally need more and im going to have to fight like hell to get more.

1 - 20 of 106 Posts