Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 1187 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(UPDATED WITH PICTURES ON PAGE 2)

Alright well this is the first day of my mental and physical transformation! I'm so excited! I had a couple of false starts earlier but this time I'm really doing it. I'm gonna drastically cut down on my internet usage and start meditating again. I have been smoke free for about a month now and now I'm getting rid of the caffeine as well. I'm going on a diet and get back in to running. I think I will sort of use this thread as a journal where I will post my progress.

The last time I did this did so good and was real proud of myself because I completely changed myself and made drastic improvements physically and mentally. I went from 220 pounds to about 175 or so and went from only being able to run 1 mile to running 10 miles (once 13 miles.) I was amazed at how fast the body is able to transform like this. It only took me like 2 months to get up to 10 miles. I also almost completely stopped using the internet and was meditating and like sitting outside just relaxing for hours. Getting rid of the internet was best thing for me because I've been completely addicted to it since I was like 13. I really noticed anxiety and depression go away for the most part. I was very relaxed and just calm and collected. I also noticed that my imagination was working very well and I had very good concentration, also didn't have the negative obsessive thoughts that I usually have. Also I would have really cool dreams. It seems the more relaxed you are the more you dream and the easier it is to remember them. I also wrote down my dreams, my calorie intake and exercise progress and especially my progress with meditation in a journal.

I really wish I hadn't stopped last time because it seems like it was all a bunch of wasted effort because I didn't stick with it. Oh well, just got to keep trying and not give up. The good news is that I am only 192 pounds now which is much better than what I thought I would be after 4 months or so of sitting on my *** everyday eating everything in site! Actually its pretty amazing. I seem to have a real good metabolism. I can lose weight very fast but it takes me a while to put it back on.

Initial Goals: (I plan to update these later, things like getting out of the house and stuff, just not ready for that now)

1) Get back down to 170 pounds or so (2 months from here)

2) Write down my progress in a journal everyday

3) Run 5 times a week minimum

4) Have at least one 10 mile run by August 15th (2 months from here)

5) At least 7 hours a week of meditation

6) Drastically cut down on the internet usage

I don't think I will be as intense as I was last time with the mental transformation but who knows. Physical I plan to really push myself to the limit again. I wont get in to the dieting aspect too much because its sort of controversial and want to avoid any arguments and lectures etc. I know what I am doing though and have done it many times before. I've read loads about safety hazards etc. (Bodybuilding used to be an obsession of mine when I was like 16 though you sure wouldn't know that now by looking at me cause I'm so flabby and weak lol :-D )

Anyways very optimistic! Time to change my life and my self.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
First day:

Starting weight: 191.8
General sentiment: 4.5/10

I notice when I am like in bed before sleep or when I just wake up my mind is constantly obsessing over things that I have no control about. This makes me feel pretty agitated. When I am alone with my thoughts I feel probably only about a 3.5/10. Otherwise I feel more like a 4.5/10 or so.

So far I have ran 3 miles which was real cool. I didn't think I'd be able to do even 2 so happy about that. Was pretty brutal and I had to really push myself but I feel pretty good now as a result.

·
Cool story, bro!
986 Posts
good job bro! thats great. your thread actually inspired me to go out and run 3 miles too. i woke up at 9:30, checked this board, saw your thread then immediately went out and just did it. i feel good right now. I made it with stopping only once too. I used to be a hardcore runner like you but its always hard when you start up again.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys!

hiimnotcool: Oh that's awesome man, i was gonna make a post to see if anyone else wanted to do it with me but forgot. Good luck!

Hardest part right now is fighting the urge to use the internet lol. I'm gonna go sit out in the sun and listen to an audiobook or something. Think "The Power of Now" is appropriate ;)

·
:/
957 Posts
That's great! I'm doing something similar. Also I'm trying to have a schedule to keep me on track with doing other things besides exercise. I'd limit your computer use, but use it as a reward for working so hard to get better. Good luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
That sounds like an amazing plan! I get really overwhelmed when I try to lose weight and very obsessive. You are an inspiration really. I really have problem with perfection too ...one mistake and I give up. Does anyone else have this problem?

·
Banned
4,462 Posts
I've been working on a transformation as well. In 2 months I went from 192 to 173 lbs. My goal is to get a single digit body fat % (somewhere between 6% and 9%) and thus get more muscle definition.

I haven't been running though. I've been doing HIIT or interval training on my stationary bike three times a week, I've been lifting weights three times a week, and I've been dieting. I'm not where I want to be yet, though.

I need to up my protein intake to preserve and -- god willing -- gain muscle, and I need to keep my intensity up in the gym. Hopefully I'll be able to get as lean as I'd like in a month or two.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you everyone! Good luck as well!

Krissy: Yeah same here. Like for example I exercised and did perfectly with my diet up to a point, but then once I screwed up it seemed like it was the end of the world and it really killed my motivation for dieting. Same with exercise if I miss a couple days all the sudden I get very pessimistic and feel like I should throw it all away. I definitely need to work on this because its so unrational

Cerberus: congrats on your progress! I too hope to one day get down to like 9-10% bf. I think the lowest I've ever gotten was about 10-11% and I looked really great. Did wonders for my confidence.

LaRibbon: Good job! Glad to have you onboard ;) You reminded me of another goal, to wake up every day at 6:00 (My schedule is completely bizarre and changes all the time lol, sometimes I wake up when everyone else is going to sleep etc) Good luck!

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Day 2:

General Sentiment:6.5/10
Weight: 188.4

Woke up feeling pretty damn good. Surprised I'm feeling so good after only 1 day. Didn't have the normal obsessive negative thoughts that I usually have when I wake up. I attribute this to the meditation I did yesterday. Feeling more relaxed mentally but have lots of energy. I also sat in the sun for about 25 minutes yesterday which probably helped. Lost a lot of water weight already. Gonna go for a run here even though my legs are pretty soar and I got blisters already after only one run. I estimate only 1.5 miles or so. After run I will meditate for about 25 minutes or so. (Its always much easier to meditate after running, like a shortcut into a better frame of mind)

i think from now on I will write these at the end of the day. As sort of a review of the entire day instead of waking up and sort of going back and reflecting about the past day as well.

·
Cool story, bro!
986 Posts
Man, I woke up and my hips and legs are so sore! After I went for the run I did some push ups and a 15 minute ab routine so I figure it was a good day.

This morning I woke up and did 45 minutes of Kenpo karate. That was quite a workout and got me sweating majorly.

Should there be an official 'What You Did for Exercise Today' thread or just post here?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Dude you are an ispiration for me right now. Long story short, med withdrawal, out of shape again, pretty much unemployed work is so slow, and SEVERE depression and anxiety.
This all looks like a good plan you have going, and I agree, being in shape helps a lot of physical and mental issues. I'll be watching your progress for sure, and good luck to you!

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I ran yesterday for three miles. Today, my back hurts so much, I can't even turn my body and I can barley get out of bed. I think i pulled something :(.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hiimnotcool: haha me too. I can barely hobble around the house right now, i move like frankenstein, sure go ahead and post your progress :) It will help me out as well. Earlier today I was feeling kind of crappy because I started thinking about those obsessions of mine but I came here and read your guys replies and it boosted my mood and motivation immensely. I welcome everyone to post their progress. We're in this together!

njmalibu: thanks buddy, hope you start feeling better, look forward to you potentially joining us

wxolue: Sorry to hear that man, I did something like that during my last transformation, it took about 4-5 days before I could run again. Hope it heals faster than that for you, good luck!

Ran 2 miles today when I woke up, fluctuated from feeling as high as 7 to about a 4.5 or so. (but only for a little while) Majority of the day I felt about a 6-6.5. Pretty good day.

·
Cool story, bro!
986 Posts
I feel terrible. I just drank 6 beers. I WAS drinking a ATLEAST a 6 pack 4-5 nights per week, and on the weekends it reached up to 15 drinks. I'm not sure why I'm beating myself up over having a 6 pack. That's all I have per week now since trying to get in shape but it still makes me feel bad. Should probably just allow it.

Anyways, tomorrow morning I think I'll run 3 miles and then later in the day some Pilates will be in store. Gotta keep it interesting.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I feel terrible. I just drank 6 beers. I WAS drinking a ATLEAST a 6 pack 4-5 nights per week, and on the weekends it reached up to 15 drinks. I'm not sure why I'm beating myself up over having a 6 pack. That's all I have per week now since trying to get in shape but it still makes me feel bad. Should probably just allow it.

Anyways, tomorrow morning I think I'll run 3 miles and then later in the day some Pilates will be in store. Gotta keep it interesting.
Aww i hear you. It feels so crappy after you screw up diet, just destroys motivation and the feeling of progress. The first couple days are the hardest. Hang in there and good luck! Together we'll kick some *** :-D !

·
Cool story, bro!
986 Posts
Aww i hear you. It feels so crappy after you screw up diet, just destroys motivation and the feeling of progress. The first couple days are the hardest. Hang in there and good luck! Together we'll kick some *** :-D !
Exactly!! I have been eating super healthy though the last 2-3 weeks. I just slip up on occasion with the beer, but we all have our vices right? Yeah this thread is really motivating and hopefully it keeps people focused on the end goal! The first days were tough but I've actually been working out 6 days a week for about an hour per day for 3 weeks now :b

Did you take before pictures so you can compare when you get fit? I'm taking them once a week. I'll post them in the thread here as a little update every week from now!! I think results pics are really encouraging.

·
Cool story, bro!
986 Posts
So this is one week after I started working out. My day one pictures are on a seperate camera! But yeah, so this is day 7 and day 21 respectively.

Gross.

Here's 3 weeks. I can tell a difference in how my torso is slimming down and arms are toning up. Plus the belly is shrinking. You can really notice from the day one, but oh well!

and

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
Don't overlook your back.

For the upper back, a simple, but effective exercise is to lift your arms horizontally with your forearms bent 90 degrees and squeeze your shoulder blades to try to touch, your arms would be going back like you are trying to get your elbows to touch from behind, then retract and repeat. You can do it fast, but do it slow as well because it'll help with your flexibility, change the speeds. Literally, you could sit there on your chair, surfing the internet and do it.

For the lower back, there's an exercise called the bridge and it's a highly effective exercise that helps with posture. Google this, I'm not the best at instructions :)

Just thought I'd recommend some moves to your arsenal and help you out on achieving the body of your dreams because for everything it's achievable as long as you keep showing up, no matter if you are up for it for that day, work half your routine, it's better than nothing. Just as long as you keep going. Keep it up tho, even though you have some beers once in a while, there's no point in working out when you can't enjoy life :)

1 - 20 of 1187 Posts