Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Out of my mind.
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll try to make my introduction brief.

A long time ago i cured myself of social anxiety. How? by going out each day and challenging myself. I went to a college campus i previously attended and started talking to strangers. At first i just smiled as i walked past them, eventually i started to say hello, and this progressed to short conversations and went all the way to asking girls for their phone numbers.

Since then I've completely lost my confidence and good 'ol SA is ruining my life again. Okay not exactly true, when i started college again two years ago i was drinking alcohol everyday in order to make friends. To everybody else i mustve just seemed super social, but in reality i was using alcohol to make myself look like 'the cool guy'. It worked ... the first year i was totally unstoppable socially, but summer is 4 months long and i eventually turned back into my old self.

Okay this is going to become too long. Here is the jist, I've been SA free before, and i want it back. College starts back up in 20 days and i need to get my self confidence back before then. I'm giving myself 20 days to complete some frightening tasks.

Starting tomorrow, I'm going to beat this irrational fear, whats the worst that could happen right and i have so much to gain. Feel free to join me.

·
Out of my mind.
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Task one, day one (August 10th):

Starting small ... going to go out and depending on the weather either walk around town or head to the mall and say hello to 25 strangers. The only catch I'm going to make here is they have to say hello back.

Simple right? Look them in the eyes, smile, and say hello and hope they say it back.

A long journey begins with a single step right ?

I'll post how it goes tomorrow.

·
breaking free
2,171 Posts
Good luck on your journey! With all the determination you have been showing, you will be SA free again in no time :)

P.S. Everyone you say "hi" to does not have to say "hi" back for you to suceed. If you manage to accomplish your goal of giving a person eye contact and saying "hi" today, then their reactions have nothing to do with how well you accomplished your goal.

Good luck :)

·
Out of my mind.
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not as exciting as one would have thought. I was anxious, i was a bit scared, but i walked into the mall alone. It took me a good 10 minutes before i mustered up the courage to start my goal.

I'll admit i made things a bit easy and stuck to older people who i found non threatening, but its a start.

The first person was a guy in his 40's, walking out of the bathroom i looked him in the eyes and said hello. He looked up a bit shocked and said hi. For the most part this is how the day went. While i didn't complete 25, I did manage to do 11. Most people seemed a bit startled that somebody they didn't know was greeting them in a shopping mall, but all but one person said hey or hows it going back to me. One black couple even said "hey, man nice of you to say hi have a good day."

All in all, it was pretty easy once i got started, but i stuck to easier people honestly. At least i didnt go the SUPER easy route and only talk to people working in the stores.

·
Out of my mind.
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Task two, day two (August 11th):

I plan to finish my 25 hellos tomorrow. I did 11 today, so that leaves 14. However I'm going to step it up a notch. Most, if not all, of my life I've been afraid of girls/women who im attracted to. I find them the hardest people to be in a social situation with. I'm not sure why, its not like they know i think they're hot ... well until they see that im nervous, but for some reason they just scare me.

I'm going to approach 14 girls/women whom i deem to be attractive and say hello to them. Fully expecting to be blown off, which might or might not actually happen, I'm going to complete this terrifying exercise tomorrow.

(Side note: today during my outing i saw this one absolutely stunning girl. She couldve been a model i swear, she even had that B*tchy attitude on her face models have. I tried to see if she'd at least make eye contact so i could say hi, but she looked the exact opposite direction both times we passed lol)

·
SAS Member
939 Posts
This is a great idea of going out and saying hello. And who knows, sometimes all someone needs is someone to smile and say hello to them. Best of luck to you. :)

·
HaloOfDarkness
608 Posts
I think I was SA free for about three months of this year. It was the greatest feeling ever and I remember being really happy all the time. I don't know what happened, I think I pushed myself too far and fell in another dark hole. I'm trying to get back to my happy place, I mean I'm happy but I'm just kind out of place right now. I guess before I was blissfully happy about life and now I'm just gratefully happy. I'm trying to get back to that place of pure happiness, I hope I find it again and I hope you do to.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts