Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Banned
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just took my first 10mg today. I suppose I will keep this thread updated in the hopes it will provide useful info for others considering an MAOI. Wish me luck

·
Registered
27 Posts
Good luck! I'm interested to see how this goes for you, as I'm interested in getting a prescription for Parnate or Nardil.

Keep us posted and I hope it works!

·
Registered
534 Posts
Be VERY careful with Parnate. That stuff is strong as hell. Got a prescription for it about six years ago and it gave me raging insomnia, which causes all sorts of bad side effects during the day. Also affected sexual performance and gave me this strange side effect where I felt like I had to urinate but nothing would come out. I stopped it after two weeks. I waited about a week, and thought I would be good to drink alcohol again. Wrong. Wound up in the emergency room, utterly incoherent.

Just be very careful with that stuff.

·
Banned
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, took 10mg again today. Obviously nothing much to report yet. Felt slightly drowsy this afternoon. That's about it. Till tomorrow.

·
Banned
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Day 3. 10 mg again. Will be on 10 mg for a while since my psychiatrist seems a little overly cautious. I wish I could go ahead and go up to 30 mg. I'm feeling rather depressed today, not sure if it's the med or just one of my normal spells of depression.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Be VERY careful with Parnate. That stuff is strong as hell. Got a prescription for it about six years ago and it gave me raging insomnia, which causes all sorts of bad side effects during the day. Also affected sexual performance and gave me this strange side effect where I felt like I had to urinate but nothing would come out. I stopped it after two weeks. I waited about a week, and thought I would be good to drink alcohol again. Wrong. Wound up in the emergency room, utterly incoherent.

Just be very careful with that stuff.
Only tried for two weeks? ok... though the sides can be rough as hell for a long time, to lot of people it's worth it in the long term, when the sides sub side an the benefits emerge.

·
Banned
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Day four. Feeling less depressed today and slightly relaxed sitting here at work. Slept pretty well and found it easy to get up earlier than usual this morning. So far no real side effects to speak of. Hopefully titrating slowly I can avoid the worst of them. Plan on going for a run this evening. Will be curious to see how energy level is.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Only tried for two weeks? ok... though the sides can be rough as hell for a long time, to lot of people it's worth it in the long term, when the sides sub side an the benefits emerge.
Yep, just about two weeks. Stuff kicked in incredibly fast and there was no letup in the side effects. Long term wasn't an option for me. If you can't sleep, you can't do anything. I'm sure the stuff works for a lot of people, but parnate was like poison for me.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Yep, just about two weeks. Stuff kicked in incredibly fast and there was no letup in the side effects. Long term wasn't an option for me. If you can't sleep, you can't do anything. I'm sure the stuff works for a lot of people, but parnate was like poison for me.
Was insomnia the only side effect or just the worst? Aside from the side effects what were the results like? Help
Anxiety? Or mostly depression? What's motivation like on it? I'm interested in maoi's as conventional treatments haven't helped me

·
Registered
262 Posts
Fair call mate. i must admit if my job at the time wasn't so easy, it wouldve been almost impossible for me to stay on. at times i was so tired i struggled to even articulate words an even drive the car safly. i did take some.sleep aid drus though they only.made me feel.mike crap for the most part.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Was insomnia the only side effect or just the worst? Aside from the side effects what were the results like? Help
Anxiety? Or mostly depression? What's motivation like on it? I'm interested in maoi's as conventional treatments haven't helped me
Well, it has been about six years, and I was only on it for a very limited time like I said, but from what I remember it didn't help anxiety at all. Insomnia was the worst of the side effects, because it creates a whole bunch of other side effects. I remember almost blacking out at the grocery store, where I actually had to grab a wall to keep from falling. Oh, another side effect I just remembered...profuse sweating. Sweat would just start gushing out of me, even if I wasn't hot. Very weird.

A couple of my friends from out of town happened to visit while I was on Parnate, and they instantly knew something was up, as they told me later. I was way more talkative than normal, and I just had a drugged out look about me(spacey eyes, inability to really focus). That's one thing Parnate does...makes you want to talk, a lot. At times it felt like I couldn't shut up. But it felt completely unnatural and I had this hazy feeling from the combination of the drug and insomnia.

·
Banned
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm feeling really really depressed tonight. Lots of suicidal thoughts(not that I'm going to hurt myself). Is it common at all for depression to worsen when starting this medication? This is my fourth day.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I wouldn't expect 10MG to have any effect at all. My opinion is that people feel parnate works quickly because it seems to act as a stimulant. It would probably take 30 or more MG to notice that effect.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Day 3. 10 mg again. Will be on 10 mg for a while since my psychiatrist seems a little overly cautious. I wish I could go ahead and go up to 30 mg. I'm feeling rather depressed today, not sure if it's the med or just one of my normal spells of depression.
My first two and only high blood pressure reactions were due to starting too high and taking my first dose increase without enough time in between. Obviously that may be different for many, but it scares me when I see doctors start patients at 30 or 40mg, especially WITHOUT splitting up the dose. As sensitive as some may be, just be careful.

·
Banned
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Day 5. Feeling less depressed. Doubt any of that is due to the medication. I actually called my doctor today and told him I lost my meds so I could get another bottle of Parnate. So now I have the option of increasing the dose a little quicker. I don't see him till December 19th and he wanted me on 10 mg until then. I was thinking I'd give the 10 mg a full week and then do 20 mg for a full week and then move on up to 30. Does that sound reasonable? I start back to school in Jan. and I'd really like to have the medication helping at least some by that time.

·
Registered
154 Posts
10, 20, 30 each week is pretty conservative. Your doc is overly conservative to the point that the dose he prescibes may never be effective.​

·
Banned
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, I agree he is too conservative. Although he did pull out his little book and said he'd be willing to go up to 60 mg. Given I weigh a little under 150 lbs I'm thinking I'll be able to get to a therapeutic dose since he's willing to go that high. I'm hoping 30 will be good enough. But we shall see. I think I'm just going to start 20 mg tomorrow.

·
Banned
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well i went up to twenty mg today. I guess ill have to stay at this dose till dec 19th when my appointment is since i only have enough pills to do that. Will get doc to go to thirty from there and see what happens. Doubt ill experience any anxiety reduction or antidepressant effect on the twenty but i do i notice an amphetamine like effect. It feels kind of like taking adderall and comes with a nice tired feeling afterwards where it feels good to just sit down. Only real side effect ive noticed is feeling like im about to pee all day today. I probably wont post much else until i go up to thirty unless i experience some side effects. Wish my doctor was willing to go up quicker. Oh well, at least i finally have one willing to prescribe an maoi.

·
Banned
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Second day on 20 mg. I got my appointment moved up so I might just move on up to 30 mg tomorrow. Today I had some really bad dry mouth, found my self feeling really cold and have had no appetite. Nothing too serious, just things I noticed. I've basically had no appetite since the first day I started taking this stuff. I guess that works out well considering there are so many things I can't eat. Nothing to really complain about so far. Hopefully that continues as I go up to 30.

·
Banned
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Moved up to 30 mg today. I had pretty bad insomnia last night. I only slept for about 4 hours or so. Felt ok after taking my first dose. I wasn't overly tired. I did sleep for about an hour this afternoon. The dry mouth was really bad today but that's something I can tolerate. It also seemed like today it was much more difficult to interact socially. I mean I didn't feel super anxious but it was hard to participate in conversations at work. I even found myself stuttering once which is unusual for me. Maybe it's just because I increased the dose today. In my experience with SSRIs my anxiety always got worse to begin with so maybe it's the same with Parnate. Anyone else experience increased anxiety when first starting Parnate? At least I have the weekend to try and chill out now. Well, sort of, I do have to go to my girlfriends parent's house for her son's birthday party. I don't feel like I'm in any kind of shape at all for something like that. I do have a few Klonopin to fall back on at least. So hopefully that'll help. Has anyone found 30 mg to be an effective dose or have most of you had to go higher to get any anxiety relief? How long would I have to be on 30 mg for MAO inhibition to start taking effect? Thanks!

Oh, and the chills were worse today. I had to sit with a space heater blowing on me at my desk all day at work. I don't think it was even very cold in there. I'm usually hot natured. I should probably take my blood pressure at some point. Maybe I'm starting to get some hypotension. I haven't really felt the need to check it yet.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts