Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've spent a lot of my time lately pursuing things that don't require any creativity or imagination. My life was and still is lacking balance in this respect, which is why I started my latest project: painting.

I'm starting from the very very basics and am working my way up. I decided to build my own canvas frame, because it gives me a lot of freedom in the frame dimensions, and canvas fabric. I'm thinking of using a printed fabric to add to the theme of a painting I have in mind.

Today is the first day of the project. I started by buying some stuff at the Home Depot (btw, I asked a sales person where to find some stuff with zero awkwardness. So there's a mini triumph for me. :lol ). After getting that out of the way, I started cutting the wood for the frame with a hand saw.

Tomorrow, I'll look around for some fabric and maybe some paint. I'll also drill some holes in the frame pieces and put them together. Stay tuned to watch it all come together. This should all be mildly entertaining to follow (hopefully ;) ).

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
AppleEatsWorm said:
there's something very satisfying about creative expression, isn't there? judging by your doodles, I think you'll do well! enjoy yourself.
Thanks. I'll try to enjoy myself. :)

I finished assembling the frame today. I am quite pleased with how it turned out. Everything just fell perfectly into place. I'm having more fun with this than I expected to (yeah my life gets boring from time to time. ;) )

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for watching this with me guys :)

Last night, I was feeling like absolute crap (sleepy with a head ache) but I went to the Fabric Store anyway. Who ever knew those places were so popular. I waited in two lines for what seemed like 30 minutes. I had to wait in a line to get my cloth cut, then another line to pay. A kind old lady started a conversation with me, which was completely unexpected, but it turned out nicely. I managed to crack a joke that went over well.

Back to the canvas. So today, I cut out the necessary fabric, and ironed out the wrinkles. Here's a shot of it in the dining room:

It's still a bit moist, so I'm going to wait a while before I stretch it onto the frame. More updates are coming!

·
Registered
96 Posts
cool :)

I've always had an interest for painting, heck as a kid one of my favorite t.v. shows was a painting show with Bob Ross. :lol I have tried painting, but my lack of artistic talent frustrated me :doh

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It was a bit of a struggle when stretching the fabric onto the frame, but it turned out nicely. After nearly 100 staples, the fabric was securely and tightly bound to the frame. In the last picture, you can see that the cloth is a bit see through, but after I get some paint on there, it should look a bit better. Comments are welcome :) .

Lots and lots of staples were necessary.

I tried to keep the corners nice and neat.

Voila: my first ever canvas!
:)

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
MNGal49 said:
Hey soma, if I remember from high school art class, a coat of gesso is preferable to prime the canvas before painting (but maybe you already know that :stu). Er, hope that helps... :)
Primer is always a good idea. I knew that I would eventually need some, but never knew what the stuff was called. So I'll be shopping for some of this Gesso stuff soon.

Thanks! :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
what subject are you going to paint? u should paint a hot babe holding a cute corgi puppy. :b Good job on the frame, really looks pro. I've thought about trying my hand at painting too... don't know what I'd put on there...how much did it cost you for the whole thing?

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Waiter said:
what subject are you going to paint? u should paint a hot babe holding a cute corgi puppy. :b Good job on the frame, really looks pro. I've thought about trying my hand at painting too... don't know what I'd put on there...how much did it cost you for the whole thing?
The costs were surprisingly low. You could buy a video game for the same cost of putting together a full primered canvas, with money left over for brushes and paint.
  • The Frame (Home Depot)

[list:b737f]8ft Spruce Plank $1.59
    Screws $2.70
    4 2" Corner Brackets $2.09
Canvas Material (Jo-ann Fabrics)

• 2 yrds Cotton $5.98
Primer, Paints, and Brushes (Dick Blick)

• Gesso Gallon $10.98
    Acrylic white $2.39
    Acrylic Black $2.39
    Acrylic Brown $2.39
    Brush Set $7.98
Total $38.49 [/list:u:b737f]The great part is that I have enough leftover fabric, primer, and paints to make the next canvas much cheaper ($6.37). As far as the subject of the painting is concerned, I was actually thinking of doing a "babe" inspired painting. I've been looking through a bunch of makeup advertisements (strictly for research and creative inspiration purposes ... ;) )

Sexy.

·
Registered
18 Posts
sexy indeed, gl with the proj. post development or some sketches...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.