Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I did it...got my Meetup group posted so now the scary part is seeing if anyone actually signs up! I'm not sure really how to get the word out about it, I hope at least a few attend or I will feel kind of silly.

I started the group just for girls to start with - I know that might sound mean to exclude guys but I think women will be more comfortable with just other girls, and also I won't lie - I don't feel 100% comfortable meeting up with strange men especially if only guys showed up that could possibly freak me out a little bit. I think if the group gets going and lots of people are interested and the other girls feel ok making it for men too then we'll open it up.

Anyway - I know a few of you have started Meetup groups - what kind of location did you choose? It's tricky because everyone is going to have a different comfort level so I don't want to pick a place that would be too anxiety provoking for others, but still be a nice place to meet?

·
Registered
121 Posts
yeah that sounds like a great idea! congrats

i go to a group that rents, or just uses a room in a mental health facility. They might be able to let you use a room for free?

or..

a park/garden
a quiet coffee shop
a restaurant patio
some public space.. like a courtyard of bulding
is there a university or college campus nearby?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Please tell us how it goes. I'm considering doing that too but first I have to get myself to attend other meetup groups and be comfortable with that before I start my own.

·
Registered
784 Posts
I don't know if you live in a small town, but don't be discouraged if you do. It took me 6 months to get to the point where I could actually get people to RSVP and show up. I think my group has 11 people now. Unfortunately, even after they sign up, most people don't participate.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts