Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow. I recently discovered Stanley Kubrick for the first time. I've now seen the Shining, Barry Lyndon, Paths of Glory, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Full Metal Jacket, and A Clockwork Orange. I love all of these films. Kubrick was an absolutely fantastic director.

In particular, though, I really like 2001: A Space Odyssey. I've been reading the book which the film was based on, and it's very good. But the movie's more enjoyable. I think the ideas Kubrick tries to communicate are insane: the scenes in which the two astronauts go outside of the ship to make some repairs are intense! We're given nothing but complete silence, interrupted by the sounds of the astronauts breathing packs. There is no sound in space. I'm just sort of rambling. Does anyone else like these films?

·
In the doghouse
1,165 Posts
2001: A Space Odyssey is mindblowingly awesome! About a week ago, Turner Classic Movies(I think, or Bravo) showed a 3 hour Kubrick documentary detailing his films & some of his personal life. I'm sure they'll be showing it again at some point so check your local listings ;-) Afterwards, they showed Dr. Strangelove which I would recommend next for you to check out.

After that I'd recommend either Lolita or Eyes Wide Shut. Also I wouldn't shy away from his earlier work. Spartacas & The Killing are excellent. I don't recall seeing Killer's Kiss so that's one i'll have to check out. You could also watch Spielberg's AI - Artificial Intelligence for curiosities sake. Kubrick intended to direct it at one point.

Definitely google "Kubrick FAQ". It's a well of information including an extensive list of uncompleted projects & a variety of interpretations of the ending of 2001. If you couldn't tell, I'm a fan and will post any other tidbits I can think of. ;-)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
2001: A Space Odyssey is mindblowingly awesome! About a week ago, Turner Classic Movies(I think, or Bravo) showed a 3 hour Kubrick documentary detailing his films & some of his personal life. I'm sure they'll be showing it again at some point so check your local listings ;-) Afterwards, they showed Dr. Stranglove whick I would recommend next for you to check out.

After that I'd recommend either Lolita or Eyes Wide Shut. Also I wouldn't shy away from his earlier work. Spartacas & The Killing are excellent. I don't recall seeing Killer's Kiss so that's one i'll have to check out. You could also watch Spielberg's AI - Artificial Intelligence for curiosities sake. Kubrick intended to direct it at one point.

Definitely google "Kubrick FAQ". It's a well of information including an extensive list of uncompleted projects & a variety of interpretations of the ending of 2001. If you couldn't tell, I'm a fan and will post any other tidbits I can think of. ;-)
I'll definitely want to check out that documentary. Thanks. :)

·
Buried at Sea
5,104 Posts
The opening scene of Full Metal Jacket is one of the greatest ever.

Also, Paths of Glory is 87 minutes of great.

2,348 Posts
Paths of Glory is incredible. Just perfect. A Clockwork Orange, The Shining, Full Metal Jacket, 2001... all great. Lolita is pretty good. I didn't really like Eyes Wide Shut. The Killing was good early Kubrick.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Full Metal Jacket was AWESOME. Didn't realize it was a Stanly Kubrick film...

·
She-Wolf
5,985 Posts
you must see Dr. Strangelove. it's my favourite movie ever.

i've seen most of his movies, a lot of them i've watched and re-watched a crazy amount.

i saw 2001 in a theatre here a few years ago, it was the very last night before the theatre closed (r.i.p.).
i had seen it many times before that but i def enjoyed it most then. easily the most epic movie ever to see on a big screen. the imagery, and the use of music and silence as you mentioned.. so intense.

·
Banned
1,872 Posts
I really love Kubrick, he's one of a kind and spectacular but he has two masterpieces, Dr. Strangelove and Path of Glory. A Clockwork Orange and 2001 are the ones that people go on about the most and they are great films but I always found they tapered off a bit in the end. The Killing is a tight little film noire that is worth watching. the Shining is horrifying for the most part but again, he kinda loses it in the final act. Spartacus is good but it pisses me off because its one of those films that the studio interfered with and isn't Kubrick's true vision. I absolutely hated Full Metal Jacket after the first third and Wide Shut pissed me off. I haven't seen Barry Lyndon or Lolita yet.

·
Registered
718 Posts
The Shining...has some of the most iconic scenes...the blood rushing out of the elevator comes to mind.

·
She-Wolf
5,985 Posts
I really love Kubrick, he's one of a kind and spectacular but he has two masterpieces, Dr. Strangelove and Path of Glory. A Clockwork Orange and 2001 are the ones that people go on about the most and they are great films but I always found they tapered off a bit in the end. The Killing is a tight little film noire that is worth watching. the Shining is horrifying for the most part but again, he kinda loses it in the final act. Spartacus is good but it pisses me off because its one of those films that the studio interfered with and isn't Kubrick's true vision. I absolutely hated Full Metal Jacket after the first third and Wide Shut pissed me off. I haven't seen Barry Lyndon or Lolita yet.
yes i do not know how anyone really really likes eyes wide shut. i tried a couple times and i could not get through it, it is literally an impossible feat for me.

i've seen the shining many many times, the first time being 7 years ago, and it's still really ****ing good, almost genius in fact. it really is the perfect horror film. it doesn't use an excessive amount of gore simply for shock value like many horrors that are done today. rather it's the very slow build-up, with the various really weird/creepy images and scenes that get even more disturbing that makes it most effective. i find that just every aspect of the movie is done so well in illustrating jack's decent into insanity and wendy's worsening fear and grief... he really masters perfectly again with the use of music or silence, the perspectives.. even small things like the monotony in some scenes like when jack continues throwing the ball against the wall and when danny is riding his bike in the hallways.

the last time i watched it was the most i ever enjoyed it. it was late at night and i got really high before i played it, with the rest of the house in darkness and the excellent surround sound system in the living room. it felt like it moved much slower which made it even more creepy.

i found a site a while ago which goes really into depth on many minor details of the film (small objects changing in the background after changing camera angles, for example). all of them very very subtle that i hadn't even noticed before.

kubrick is great for that as well, in most of his film he looks at every single minuscule aspect and works at incorporating them in relation to the theme, plot, meaning, etc.

·
crazy
2,067 Posts
the shining is one of my favorite films ever. it's like a metaphor for the nuclear family (sorry, people with nuclear families!). this tiny family bottled up in this isolated place, all their neuroses magnified like in an echo chamber, and the dad slowly going insane and wanting to kill the little kid. shudder... i had lots of dreams of hiding in cabinets as a kid from some giant menacing and angry figure, so the scenes of danny doing that to hide from his father really spooked me.

i still remember seeing the ads for it on tv back in 1980, danny running silently through the snowy labyrinth. i wanted to see it, but my parents said it was an adult movie, and the reviews weren't very good.

but eventually my brother and i saw it a few years later in junior high - we snuck down to the basement after our parents had gone to sleep to watch cable, in the pitch black. it was so ****ing scary, especially those girls in the hallway, and room 237, and the woman in the bathtub.

"is there something bad here?"

yes. yes, there is...

·
Registered
98 Posts
He spent many years working on an epic film about Napoleon that was never made. I think I read somewhere that he eventually used his research of the era to do Barry Lyndon. Anyway, I've always found it pretty sad that it never saw the light of day. The thought of it alone seems amazing.

I've seen many of his movies, but there are still a few great ones I haven't gotten around to yet.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I liked full metal jacket, the shining, spartacus, 2001 a space odyssey, a clockwork orange and dr. strangelove.

I didn't like lolita, which I didn't even bother to finish watching. I loved the book and I didn't like the translation.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts