Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm 18, and looking for work. But that's not why I've come here, obviously. I've never had a job before, and I applied at a couple of places. Well, one place I applied at (McDonalds; you gotta start somewhere) called me back. But I was so scared about the prospect of doing a job interview and working a job for that matter, I quickly and nervously stuttered back that I could not make it on the day they requested me for an interview, stating that I had to get my wisdom teeth removed (which was half-true). Anyways, that was about 4 to 5 weeks ago. I've made no progress. Where I should have spent this past month looking for a car for college and working a job, I was and still am at home depressed sitting on my computer most if not all the day.

I figure that here I don't have to explain the intense anxiety I get just thinking about doing a job interview. Not only that, but I get nervous as to simply go out and do something like buy food or get the car washed. I went to Best Buy the other day and felt that the Store Clerks were looking at me waiting for me to shoplift something because that day I decided (involuntarily) to where baggy clothing; it was getting me very worried. Obviously, they probably thought nothing of me. But my mind blows anything social out of proportion and instantly puts me in lock-down mode at the simplest happening. The hardest part I have to admit is just forcing myself to anything social. Once I've forced myself, there's usually no turning back at that point...usually.

Anyways, I'm wondering if anybody's had this problem, and how they are dealing/dealt with it. I'm at a standstill with my life, and I feel I'm not going to make it anywhere if I can't even get to a job interview. I'm also worried that I might actually breakdown while I'm there, because I'm so scared about it. When I went to take my Driver's Test about 6 to 7 weeks ago I was so scared with the guy constantly watching me I could not even keep the gas pedal steady.

I've been trying to explain to my father my feelings, but he's got that old-fashioned tough guy inferiority complex mentality, so I have to word it without sounding like a coward (or there lack of better words). And basically, he thinks I'm just using this as an excuse to say that I'm a lazy moocher. This isn't true at all. If I wasn't so scared to get a job, I would have had one a few years ago. Not only that, but I'm one of the hardest working people you'll know, and my high grades in school were evidence of this. My dad actually puts the excuse of "schools are getting easier these days that's why" to justify. Not trying to start a flamewar or anything here, but saying that is like when certain Christians said God put dinosaur fossils on the planet as means to testing our faith. But I digress.

Is there anyway to cope with this? Sorry if the text wall was tl;dr.

·
Registered
449 Posts
i dont know if it is exactly a way to cope, but the way ive forced myself to do interviews, and stuff for college is to tell myself i have no choice. I have to go to those interviews, i have to get a job, i need money and there is no other way. Once the time is set, i tell myself it will be worse trying to explain why i didnt go to the interview than explaining that i was not offered a job. I kinda make stuff like that the least worst choice, i think about how bad it will be if i DONT go. Then i just plod through it, and its never as bad as it seemed.

I know, it sounds like the useless cliche of 'just do it,' but really thats the best advice.

·
Registered
36 Posts
You could start out through a temporary agency, it's how I got my first job, most don't really take the time to thoroughly interview you or care about work experience because they need someone on spot.

Eventually, you have to force yourself. I just got a new job as a cashier at an convenience store, it's hell and everyday I think of someone way to get out of it, but I can't. You have to realize, you need money, a place to live, you need a job. You really have no options, it's something you have to do.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts