Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was wondering how many people on here have a stuttering problem and what tricks they're using to try to move past it.

When I'm in front of a computer I love it because I can type out my words exactly how I like them, but talking around people it's like my brain tries to edit what I've already said... I don't get stuck on syllables, but full words. They just go round and round until I figure out what I'm trying to say.

I didn't even notice it really, except when I'm excited or nervous, but apparently its a lot more frequent than I thought because it keeps coming up as a topic in my peer reviews at my volunteer job.

·
Banned
6,324 Posts
I had some kind of speech impediment when I was very young & I recall being taken to some speech therapy sessions. Now I have to think before I speak but I think that's a common thing but maybe also a 'hangover' from childhood.
It's disappointing that it keeps coming up at your reviews: why do they do that?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had some kind of speech impediment when I was very young & I recall being taken to some speech therapy sessions. Now I have to think before I speak but I think that's a common thing but maybe also a 'hangover' from childhood.
It's disappointing that it keeps coming up at your reviews: why do they do that?
They keep coming up at reviews because I work for a crisis call center so my voice is important... I also don't think they really understand it as a speech impediment, just something I do. It's like the words are floating around in my head rearranging themselves so unless it's a phrase I've used before I can't really say it fluidly.

Example dialog (exaggerated a bit)

"This sounds like something... like something that would be troubling if you had... if you've had to deal with it... if you've had to face it on a daily basis. I can see why that would be a problem interaction... interaction... interacting with people... on a daily basis."

It makes communicating very difficult when my brain isn't spitting out a canned phrase.

Talking to insanely cute guys is impossible.

·
Banned
6,324 Posts
They keep coming up at reviews because I work for a crisis call center so my voice is important... I also don't think they really understand it as a speech impediment, just something I do. It's like the words are floating around in my head rearranging themselves so unless it's a phrase I've used before I can't really say it fluidly.

Example dialog (exaggerated a bit)

"This sounds like something... like something that would be troubling if you had... if you've had to deal with it... if you've had to face it on a daily basis. I can see why that would be a problem interaction... interaction... interacting with people... on a daily basis."

It makes communicating very difficult when my brain isn't spitting out a canned phrase.

Talking to insanely cute guys is impossible.
:) for your last sentence!

The example you gave doesn't sound bad to me - if someone spoke to me like that I would think that they were being thoughtful, spontaneous & caring.

I can't help resenting people who raise issues like speech impediments unless they have something constructive & supportive to say. I don't think it helps for people to point out that we stammer or are shy/quiet/whatever.

·
By myself, but not alone.
501 Posts
I have a stutter, but it comes and goes. Some days, I don't stutter at all, but other days, I stutter every other sentence. I've grown to hate the words I, why, and well because for some reason, those are the words that seem to cause me to stutter the most, especially when a sentence begins with them. Sometimes, I just pretend that I forgot what I was going to say, just so I don't have to stutter in front of someone.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
:) for your last sentence!

The example you gave doesn't sound bad to me - if someone spoke to me like that I would think that they were being thoughtful, spontaneous & caring.

I can't help resenting people who raise issues like speech impediments unless they have something constructive & supportive to say. I don't think it helps for people to point out that we stammer or are shy/quiet/whatever.
Yeah... I added that one in at the last minute haha. :b

I think most people see it that way too... it's just... it gets old. I put a lot of effort into the things that I say (when I'm not crabby) and I hate getting called on my "feedback loops" or how quiet I am.

I just want to communicate. :blank

1 - 7 of 7 Posts