Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, is the conclusion I've come to.

Back when I was on Prozac and Lexapro, I always woke up feeling happy and enthusiastic. Then I took my meds, and my mood returned to either the pre-medication state or I became depressed and anxious (in the first few weeks). This lasted all day until about 5pm, when the feeling of elation came back.

It's all very complicated and I barely understand it, but I believe after dosing, your level of SERT inhibition is very high and all that serotonin hits the regulatory receptors, causing a dip in serotonin output and release. Later on (at around 5pm in my case), the SSRI concentrations (and SERT inhibition) drop just enough so the regulatory autoreceptors aren't overwhelmed and you can enjoy an overall increased level of serotonergic neurotransmission.

In conclusion, I believe a lot can be gained from taking your pills at the right time of day. The same may not apply to everyone, but for me at least, right before going to bed was the best time. Unfortunately I didn't realise that at the time and always dosed up when I woke up :(. Because of this I lost faith in SSRIs and started on GHB, then screwed up my life.

I may even go as far as saying morning dosing is the cause of a lot of the ineffectiveness people experience on these drugs...

Would anyone be willing to switch to evening dosing to test this out?

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
I think after reaching steady state it doesn't matter that much when you take your pills. Maybe when you take them before going to bed you feel less side effects.

·
Fall 7 times, stand up 8.
8,916 Posts
I was told to take mine in the morning and feel so tired the whole day. I've actually been depressed waking up and right after taking my pill I feel happier. But at school I'm the same old self, perhaps even quieter and more anxious. I hope with time I see better results.
By nighttime it takes me an hour or two to fall asleep. I was considering dosing at night instead but I think I'll stick to the plan.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I remember a friend once told me after going on duloxetine,

"I don't need any drugs any more when I go out; I'm already hyper enough in the evenings."

The same "bipolar day" thing happened to him too. Coincidence? Nah. Idiosyncratic? I don't think our brains are much different to other people, so I doubt it.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I feel my lexapro wearing off after around 9 hours or so. Taking at night reduces some of the negative SE's like emotional flatness along with the positive effects as well but thats just because the stuff is wearing off as far as I can feel.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts