Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know they're for chemical inbalances and they make the serowhatever not go into cells or WHATEVER, i don't care about that. they're for depression and make you happier, but how exactly do they help anxiety?! i don't understand, does it simply make you happier so you don't care about it?

·
Registered
186 Posts
I would use the "chemical imbalance" argument loosely. I've never really believed in it myself, but it seems to be the generally accepted theory. I don't know how they can blame an imbalance when you can't exactly measure serotonin levels and explicitly see some type of problem. I think the weakness of this explanation can often be seen with people on this board...they are ostensibly suffering from a serotonin deficiency, yet SSRIs prove ineffective.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
It's more about the response of the human brain to mid-longterm 5-HT reuptake inhibition (receptor modifications).

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Why do you think that SSRIs are just useful for depression? ;) The FDA approved them for several other psychiatric disorders because the were safe & effective in large randomized, controlled, double-blind trials for these disorders.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Why do you think that SSRIs are just useful for depression? ;) The FDA approved them for several other psychiatric disorders because the were safe & effective in large randomized, controlled, double-blind trials for these disorders.
i don't know i'm no expert, i just thought they were just to make you happier. how do they lessen anxiety?

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Antidepressants don't make people happy they just make them less unhappier. The exact mechanism on how SSRIs or any antidepressant helps to relieve depression or anxiety nobody can tell you, there exist just theories; some simple ones; some complex ones.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Antidepressants don't make people happy they just make them less unhappier. The exact mechanism on how SSRIs or any antidepressant helps to relieve depression or anxiety nobody can tell you, there exist just theories; some simple ones; some complex ones.
That only really applies to SSRIs. MAOIs, NDRIs and amphetamines all can make people happy and are prescribed quite a lot.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
The initial MAOI euphoria subsides after some weeks. Amphetamines are not classified as antidepressants. And AFAIK the only NDRI that is marketed as an antidepressant is Bupropion which has very low abuse potential and doesn't make healthy people happier. Amineptine is gone, (Dex)methylphenidate is no AD and Nomifensine is not an FDA approved drug.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Your "cocktail" is a different story. ;)

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
Amphetamines are not classified as antidepressants.
One can class a drug any way they want, but it's still abundantly clear that amphetamines will certainly make most people happy.

Ritalin isn't classified as an antidepressant either, though that was it's original use before it became a used almost exclusively as a drug to make hyper kids into A+ students who sat down & shut up. Just like amphetamines have come to be used almost exclusively to make hyper little Billy sit down & shut up.

·
Registered
225 Posts
God.. do I hate those meds. They hardly help anyone, but make them apathetic and content enough to live every day life... and that's a terrible trade.

I remember being at the restauraunt with some people, and I was just making sarcastic jokes mostly then my friend pointed out "you have the most serious look on your face!" I felt so stupid and brain dead.

SSRI's are terrible.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I think we should all take opiod pain medication like vicodin and loratab it would fix all of our problems......... lol jk. But for real i myself wont take any ssris because of to many threads with people saying ssris had no effect on them or they made them zombies. Now that may not be fair because medication works differently for everybody and ssris may be a magic pill for me but i just dont want to try them.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
SSRIs are first line treatment for SA. Anyone with generalized SA who considers medication should at first take an SSRI, regardless of how many "bad posts" on the internet exist about them.

·
All psycho all the time..
26 Posts
I think we should all take opiod pain medication like vicodin and loratab it would fix all of our problems......... lol jk. But for real i myself wont take any ssris because of to many threads with people saying ssris had no effect on them or they made them zombies. Now that may not be fair because medication works differently for everybody and ssris may be a magic pill for me but i just dont want to try them.
They really do work differently for diff people but I can't begin to tell you how thankful I am now for my SSRI's. I used to be the emo poet thinking I would LOSE MYSELF if I took meds. Too many dollars and drinks to mention now I am at the peek of my game. I wouldn't say that the antid's make you a zombie unless you don't need them. If you're dissatisfied with life you should give it a try and if it doesn't work try something else.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.