Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been on Prozac for nearly three months now. About 2 weeks ago I went on vacation and wasn't able to get a refill before I left. I was without the medicine for 5 days and did not notice any withdraw symptoms. I also noticed that I didn't feel any different so the drug didn't seem to be helping that much.

I decided that if it has no real benefits (only lessens my sex drive really) then I might as well stop taking it.

I would prefer to try another SSRI. I'm taking this semester off from college basically because my depression/anxiety got so bad. Whenever I'm at home I feel more comfortable and relaxed so I'm not surprised I don't feel depressed now.

My questions are:
-how long does it take to feel withdraw symptoms from an SSRI? (I'm prescribed 20mg Prozac daily)
-has anyone ACTUALLY had success in regards to depression/anxiety/social anxiety after switching to a new SSRI? (especially if it was from Prozac to another SSRI)

I know Prozac isn't FDA approved to treat social anxiety like Zoloft+Paxil are but I'm doubtful that really makes the latter two better. Anyways, thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Prozac has the least withdrawal symptoms because of it's very very long half-life. You may swith to a good new SSRI like Zoloft/Lexapro or to an SNRI like Effexor XR. If that doesn't help there are still Lyrica/Klonopín/MAOIs/stimulants....

1 - 2 of 2 Posts