Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was planning on starting an SSRI again, but I have a slight concern. There is a good chance that I am going to donate a kidney to my Mom within the next 12 months (she's on dialysis for renal failure). I'm concerned about being on an SSRI while having surgery done, even if it's laproscopic. From what I've read, there is some type of increased bleeding risk. I'll be seeing the actual surgeon in the next few weeks, so I'm sure that I can ask, but I figured I would check here first. Do you think that I would be asked to stop taking the SSRI before I have the procedure done?

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
I've never heard of SSRIs increasing bleeding, but then I've also never come across anybody on SSRIs having surgery. Sounds like an excellent question for your surgeon, who should be asking you what, if any, meds you're on as part of any pre-surgery exam to start with.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've never heard of SSRIs increasing bleeding, but then I've also never come across anybody on SSRIs having surgery. Sounds like an excellent question for your surgeon, who should be asking you what, if any, meds you're on as part of any pre-surgery exam to start with.
I think the most common type of bleeding is upper GI related, but apparently, it can happen anywhere. If you type in "ssri bleeding" or "ssri surgery" on Google, you'll see a lot of references to the issue.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts