Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This line couldn't have been more blaringly obvious as the music director from my church sat down with our youth music group to 'have a talk.' Our youth group played at one of the Lent services and apparrently multiple complaints were lodged against our dress. "People in leadership positions should be dressed nicely," is the thought of some of the congregation, apparently. "No holes in the jeans, or clothes that look old" was the obvious comment directed towards me (considering I am the only one of the group that dresses alternatively).

Stuff like this gets me F$(#KING ANGRY. I go to Church for God, not to impress some people who have the time to worry about how "presentable" everyone is. I dress the way I dress because I'm most comfortable this way. God wouldn't mind that, would he?

And once I stop wearing my "inappropriate clothes," what next? Are they going to make me take out my peircings? I think not. They'll have to throw me out of the Church for that. I'll find God elsewhere, in a place that won't judge me based on how I look.

I am not changing for anyone. God accepts me the way I am. And if people don't like the way I am, well then HOW ABOUT YOU SAY IT TO MY FACE B$*TCHES

Wow ... sorry about this. This post has nothing to do with social anxiety. I know this forum isn't my personal journal where I can just post any old crap. But I really needed to get this out. Sorry

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
I can relate. At the church I sometimes go to people take one one look at me and start judging- which is funny because their the ones who say everyone is equal and not to judge.

Like theres this girl around my age there, she's a druggie/partier/**** which is fine, its her life, but everyone thinks she's a perfect angel because her family are "perfect church going christians". So she sat around me one day and when they asked us to get up an greet one another she talked to me for awhile and her parents were right there next to her. Now her parents give me dirty looks as if to say "Stay away from our daughter" like I'm going to corrupt their perfect angel and the rest of the youth, when in reality im probably the only one thats there for the right reasons. And I don't go to youth services and stuff due to SA and I know people look down on me for that, like i just dont wanna get involved in the church. It's very irratating.

·
kept in His hands
1,334 Posts
I dress the way I dress because I'm most comfortable this way. God wouldn't mind that, would he?
He could care less what we wear, in my opinion. I think He's more concerned about the condition of our our hearts, not what clothes we wear, tatts or piercings we have. Don't let anyone discourage you from being unique.

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
Squizzy,

I have always thought of it this way: I would get dressed nicely for God and no one else. I would say that I dress pretty casual, but I always thought it was appropriate.

The idea is that you are trying to present yourself as a church. Everybody is looking to you to help in the worship part of the service. Having piercings is fine, but there is still the dress code that you and the others have to follow. It's part of being in the choir to being with.

I apologize for sounding parental, but I think being able to sing in the choir at all is important (something I have not been able to do - I can perform outside of church, but not inside due to SA). I would be all too happy to follow the rules.

millenniunmman75

·
Registered
7 Posts
This is exactly what angers me. Too much talk about -is that person wearing the right clothes or not. And everyone is completely missing the fact that them BEING IN church is a great thing. The church needs to REACH the lost not judge them away. I believe that you as the person should decide if you want to dress "nice". I mean everyone has their own version of "nice". God would probably rather you be YOU instead of trying to be fake for others.

·
You can do this!
4,464 Posts
Unfortunately, I see both sides of this issue. There is something to be said for dressing nicely to get into the proper mindset for worship. But there is also a certain snobbiness that can sneak in to that sentiment.

Anyway, I'm surprised it was brought up. Some people (like me) can't afford nice clothes very often, so casual dress isn't just a fashion statement. It's part of being po'. :stu

If you're not comfortable at your church, maybe you should go somewhere else where you like it more? Or be like me, and just avoid go to any church, because you're too uncomfortable altogether. :hide

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Hey Squizzy,
Why dont you show them the hymn "Come as you are, " thats how I want you, come as you are, feel quiet at home. I got carried away with the lyrics there, anyway. I'm sure those words are
God talking to us.
It would be nice to tell them, we dont judge you based on your taste or lack of, sorry, this gets the better of me at times.
Just ignore them, would be my thing. Just know
God loves you as you are.
Dont worry about the rest. I see all folks in all strokes, in all their drab and finery, I dont make a presumption based on outer wear. Its the heart and soul that matter most.

jenky

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies everybody. After reading my initial post again I feel really stupid. This shouldn't be such a big deal to me, God makes sacrafices so it's the least I could do to change clothes for a mere hour.

I think it was the fact that it came from this lady at Church that I particalary don't like. I trusted her for the longest time and then she did something that obliterated all of my trust in her. Therefore I hold this resentment towards her and will refute anything she says. She always says very mean things but in a nice way. I'm beginning to suspect that she's the one who was complaining against me and my clothes; she likes to exclude me from things for whatever reason. A friend has even noticed this. I guess I kind of took her words as a personal attack against me. What really hurt me was when she said that 'clothes needed to appear like they've been washed.' I shower every day and wash my clothes regularly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts