Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
4,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How spontaneous are you?

Can you just get an idea and drop everything and go do it?
Or are you a planner, do you need to think through all your ideas, and schedule it in?
When you plan things, do you find you usually end up not doing them?

Happy people are spontaneous people, it seems.

I want to learn to act without overthinking more. Is anyone currently working on learning to be more spontaneous and carefree? Thoughts and advice?

----

It seems that some of the best times of my life have been when I stopped thinking and just did things. I don't really know how to make that happen for myself though, I've only been able to be spontaneous by following someone else's lead.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I'm not spontaneous at all. I have to plan my day out, and usually I stick to it especially if other people are involved since I hate cancelling on people. There have been times where I've had the urge to just get up and go somewhere, but I never do it.

·
Registered
8,575 Posts
Speaking as a serious over-planner, the few times when I've been able to be spontaneous have felt really liberating.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Well growing up with ADHD I was overly spontaneous as a child and am afraid of being too spontaneous. Though i believe it's more accurate to call it overly impulsive. So maybe its not the same. It was kind of liberating but it would get me into too much trouble especially socially. I think there must be a happy medium between being spontaneous and planning. I can still almost turn on my spontaneity sometimes at will. But it's more a product of ADD and probably not helpful to any of you. And it also causes me anxiety which is bad too.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Spontaneity is a wonderful feeling and "liberating" as losthismarbles put it. Especially with a good group of friends. With me too the best feeling is being with friends experiencing new things and just saying/doing whatever we want without a filter. Getting rid of your Filter is the key...as well as getting rid of your inhibitions. I was teased a lot when I was younger and I fear the sound of laugher because I always think people are laughing at me....thus, the reason I act fidgety and nervous...I always think people are about to laugh at me. Many negative experiences have shaped my being into someone neurotic, shy, introverted and weary of interactions with people. I also think I am naturally an overly sensitive person which is something I need to work on too...I take everyone else's word as G-d while I disregard my own as worthless. Anyone with SA must first work through their internal problems before real spontaneity can start taking place.

·
Protector of the Den
15,048 Posts
I seem to be spontaneous and obsessive when it comes to trying new hobbies and arts. I obsess over them until I can go out to buy something to try them out. If it is near closing time for a store I need to go to get supplies, I'll rush there or feel upset and disappointed that I couldn't make it. I usually just buy what I think is the bare minimum but I still end up wasting a lot of money over time on hobbies that I don't do much :( I usually regret it soon after the obsessiveness wears off :(

I also just suddenly quit my job after many years. I was very miserable there with my back problems, SA, and other mental problems though. Just couldn't take it anymore and decided to quit over the phone.

I'll also just randomly get the itch and decide to go on a trip. Like one day I just suddenly decided to go on a six hour drive hunting rocks for stone carving. I only intended to drive a little over half that but kept deciding to go to the next city. I've done this early in the morning to other places about an hour away.

Not sure I'd call it a good thing, but I've done a lot of things other people probably will never do.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
I'd like to think I'm a good mix of both. I'm a fairly organized and structured person by nature so I like to make sure things are done on time, plan it out so I'm not stressing out in the end, etc. but I also make sure I stay flexible enough so that if a problem does come up, all hell won't break loose LOL. Sometimes the best things are done in the spur of the moment, while other things need long term planning to be fully appreciated later on.

I base my spontaneity on how I feel in the moment, and the likelihood of it happening again later on. Some things can only be done in a certain context so you should just go with it. Other times you have to decide against it because being rash can lead to negative consequences. Be responsible in terms of being spontaneous, but also live a little :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts