Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Argh! I'm giving a group presentation tomorrow! We all have to speak for an equal amount of time! Argh, it's so bad... it's in front of my whole lecture, which is a min. of 40 people. My outfit's so ridiculous. I didn't have anything business-y, so now I'm going in this matching 'oliver twist' type thing, which will make me even more self-conscious. I feel ugly, I don't want people looking at me. Plus, I don't even really know what I'm talking about. But it's too late now. It's 3am! I gotta get up in 5! If I can sleep. >_<

·
HaloOfDarkness
608 Posts
How did it go?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I only posted it a few minutes ago. ;D >_<"

Last speech I gave was bad. I didn't look up and was like stuttering and mumbling.. People always say these things will be okay, but sometimes they're not - as I have experienced. :/

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Just remember that when you are giving your speech, everyone watching is actually more preoccupied with their own speeches, than how your's is going. I've gone through this, and found that everyone is just as scared and nervous as each other. They might pretend to be confident, but the majority aren't; and if you find anyone laughing or snickering at you, it is not because of you. It is because they are nervous of how they are going to look when they give their speech, and so are trying to make you feel more nervous in order to make themselves feel a bit better.

Good luck with the speech - I know you'll do great!!! :)

·
HaloOfDarkness
608 Posts
Oh, I think I'm confused, I think I'm losing it and I'm reading things that actually probably most likely aren't there and no I'm not high at this particuliar moment. I bet you'll do better than you imagine.

·
Banned
1,872 Posts
I used to kick *** at public speaking. I used to just feed off the anxiety and somehow turn myself into someone articulate, funny and charismatic...lol.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
lastofthekews, maybe you're right about everyone else thinking about theirs. I'm going first (*panic attack*), so all theirs would be coming up. I guess it would be more of a problem if I was closer to the end because everyone else would have done theirs and could relax and watch mine, but, 'cause I'm going first, hopefully that won't be the case. I'm going to try and sleep now. Think of me, guys! Please. o_o

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As it came closer to the time, I was actually feeling kind of confident and looking forward to talking. However, I was the last to speak and my team members didn't leave me enough time, so I only spoke for like a minute (which felt really short because there was so much I was to go through). I felt kind of ripped off because we're being marked individually for our presentations and I didn't really get a fair go. When the teacher was telling me to wrap it up, I felt rushed and went a bit 'akfhadldgjkd'. I was soooo inarticulate. I kept saying 'like... like...' and 'stuff'... >_<" But, like, overall it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Instead of traumatising and humiliating, it was more 'no fair!'-- although, it was a little humiliating being so inarticulate. I think it's because I don't have enough practice talking (social anxiety, duh). Online, you can think about what you wanna say, but irl, it's like GOGOGO! D:

·
Buried at Sea
5,104 Posts
Congrats! Sounds like it went well. I'm sure your teacher will take into account that you got shafted for time and how that can mess with your preparation.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts