Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did this experiment and the results where positive. I was amazed how my mentality changed and I became more jiffy, if you will (less anxious). I sort of felt like I was being reborn, well I would not go that far, more like I was getting back in touch with my inner self (none-sa sufferer).

I believe this is proof enough for me to believe that speaking a lot, well a lot for me may be nothing compared to others, works!!!

we have mouths and tongues for a reason. Further more, I believe that every aspect of our biddies work in unison to keep us healthy and fulfilled.... one of them being speaking a lot.

So how many words do you think that you speak a day?

·
Freedom is lurking
809 Posts
Speaking a lot, you say? That's great, but to speak a lot, one has to have a lot of things to say...

·
Banned
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Speaking a lot, you say? That's great, but to speak a lot, one has to have a lot of things to say...
not necessarily... what comes first the chicken or the egg? Or like in another post that I read "do you need confidence in order to get confidence" … or something along those lines.

You could speak a lot about why you don't speak a lot once you have master the speaking part, if you will. :D

The key thing to do is just to speak a lot (period)... now that is the issue -- how one goes about to start speaking a lot (there are ways). but speaking a lot works. You don't need a pill to lift you up, you don't need beer, you just have to speak a lot and you will feel a difference.

edit: if you can talk a lot in front of an extrovert, you are the king in this forum.

·
Registered
249 Posts
rambling isn't really a cure for SA lol. talking too much, or about nothing, or about inappropriate subjects isn't much better than being totally silent in the long run. the only plus i could see to this is that it may increase confidence in your ability to talk to others, which may lead to less avoidance. i am all for less avoidance. on the other hand, simply blurting out random/ridiculous things sround people that make me uncomfortable is one of my SA symptoms... so....talking more won't help with that :p

·
Banned
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
rambling isn't really a cure for SA lol.
I never said anything about rambling :p... unless speaking a lot = rambling, which it does not lol.
talking too much, or about nothing, or about inappropriate subjects isn't much better than being totally silent in the long run.
I strongly disagree. I have noticed that the people who talk a lot mainly talk about nothing or inappropriate things... I can give examples all day. One example about some extrovert talking about "nothing" is just talking bout the shape of the foot ball (males) or the best pedicure (females)... think infomercials how those ladies can talk for at least 30 minutes about sandals. Regarding taling about inappropriate subjects... wow... only talkative people can get away with that and come out still winning bro.

Though being totally silent is being in a way worse place than the above people.

the only plus i could see to this is that it may increase confidence in your ability to talk to others, which may lead to less avoidance.
can you back your "may increase confidence" statement with evidence.... hmmm I believe that was my main "plus" :D

·
Registered
602 Posts
I imagine there would be something to this. There have been a lot of situations where my inability to talk felt completely physical, as in I wasn't nervous or hesitant, and was even sure of the thing I wanted to say, and yet couldn't say it because the literal muscles I would have had to use just felt lazy. I even think my responses to people are often too quiet because I'm just not used to using those muscles spontaneously. I'll keep this in mind, what you said.

199 Posts
wow... what do you talk about on a good day? Just curious.
haha...

it depends on if i'm in school or working. those days would probably 10,000. i don't know. i might be exaggerating. i haven't really counted, lol. but, if i am working or in school i am usually asking people about their medical history and explaining procedures to them, ect.

i also talk a good deal with my family and a few friends. with them i just talk about what happened in my day, my ideas, how are they doing, and it all just kind of flows and goes along...

·
Banned
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I imagine there would be something to this. There have been a lot of situations where my inability to talk felt completely physical, as in I wasn't nervous or hesitant, and was even sure of the thing I wanted to say, and yet couldn't say it because the literal muscles I would have had to use just felt lazy. I even think my responses to people are often too quiet because I'm just not used to using those muscles spontaneously. I'll keep this in mind, what you said.
yeah dude this is not hard core science stuff for me. The hard core evidence is that it is true... it is a fact of life... i.e. if you don't use your muscle, the muscle stops being a muscle. Get it? It's really simple... practice makes perfect.

I am really the type of guy that is blunt and I like that about myself because I can see past all the BS :)

anyway, try this, watch your favorite shows for one day... just ONE DAY, and repeat every word they say out loud. Also, mimic their dramatic hand and facial gestures too. By the end of the day, you will feel like a different person.... sort of like enlightened.

I just know it works, the hard part is to convince others and the hardest is to break my routine :)... the end result is that it works 100% but is not much of a social conversation piece though.

·
Banned
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
it depends on if i'm in school or working. those days would probably 10,000. i don't know. i might be exaggerating. i haven't really counted, lol. but, if i am working or in school i am usually asking people about their medical history and explaining procedures to them, ect.

i also talk a good deal with my family and a few friends. with them i just talk about what happened in my day, my ideas, how are they doing, and it all just kind of flows and goes along...
haha... that makes sense. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
388 Posts
not necessarily... what comes first the chicken or the egg? Or like in another post that I read "do you need confidence in order to get confidence" … or something along those lines.

You could speak a lot about why you don't speak a lot once you have master the speaking part, if you will. :D

The key thing to do is just to speak a lot (period)... now that is the issue -- how one goes about to start speaking a lot (there are ways). but speaking a lot works. You don't need a pill to lift you up, you don't need beer, you just have to speak a lot and you will feel a difference.

edit: if you can talk a lot in front of an extrovert, you are the king in this forum.
that depends if chicken soup contains egg

·
Banned
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
that depends if chicken soup contains egg
lol...what? It can contain egg or pig liver, it is still chiken soup and not egg or pig liver soup. I don't get your query... lol... care to explain further?

Though if you like eggs, i guess your chiken soup has to have egg in it... and most other meals.

I mean, why would you want to eat chiken meat if it does not taste like egg... :D

sorry, i don't get your point....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts