Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Spanish class I'm in this semester focuses mostly on conversation; I have to take this class at some point, so I figured I should just get it over with sooner rather than later. I don't like talking in class in general, but it's even worse when I have to talk in a language I'm not very good at. I can stumble through talking to my partner, but what worries me is being called on/volunteering answers. So, I'm looking for a little advice. Should I email the prof and tell him about my SA just so he knows I'm not volunteering often for a reason or should I just try to suck it up? Any advice would be wonderful.

·
Registered
154,233 Posts
The Spanish class I'm in this semester focuses mostly on conversation; I have to take this class at some point, so I figured I should just get it over with sooner rather than later. I don't like talking in class in general, but it's even worse when I have to talk in a language I'm not very good at. I can stumble through talking to my partner, but what worries me is being called on/volunteering answers. So, I'm looking for a little advice. Should I email the prof and tell him about my SA just so he knows I'm not volunteering often for a reason or should I just try to suck it up? Any advice would be wonderful.
Se tiene que practicar.

·
Registered
43 Posts
everyone will be like you in the class they are not good at spanish as well :) i have anxiety too but in our class nobody was interested in spanish it was only me listening to teacher :) so i didnt have any problem, but you can tell the prof your anxiety but it would be better to talk face to face if you can. You can say i am really interested in spanish but i avoid talking in front of people. Buenas suertes :)

·
Such is life
554 Posts
I've taken four language classes and I've told the professors about my social anxiety problem, and they have made exceptions. When their is an oral, I usually do it in their office away from everyone else, even though I am still nervous. When they ask you questions in class, it's very nerve wracking, but I get through with it and it's no big deal. Just smile if you mess up and don't freak out, it's not that big of a deal. Language classes are quite fun for me, even though they seem scary for me too.

·
Banned
10,815 Posts
I love spanish class conversations. Everything is so structured and organized. There's no social pressures or expectations. No wondering what to say. Just read the book and go through it step by step. All you have to do is is translate it. It's like being in a play.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts