Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in college, and as I was coming in to my dorm I saw three guys with golf clubs. I didn't know them, but one of them said hi to me, and so I tried to start a conversation with them. I said "You guys been golfing?" and sure enough on of the other guys said sarcastically "No, no (something sarcastic)", anyway, for about a second after he said that to me I didn't pick up on the sarcasm and thought that maybe they had gotten back from a fraternity where they have to dress up as something. Then I realized he was joking and it made me feel alittle stupid, but at the same time I realized that's a viable conversation starter, and that for him to make fun of my question was insensitive. Still, my SA used to be bad enough to where this would have made me really embarassed. I also shows a lot about how naive I am(not necessarily a bad thing IMO)

Moral of the story - if you're being sarcastic, you probably aren't funny.

·
electric
6,777 Posts
I'm in college, and as I was coming in to my dorm I saw three guys with golf clubs. I didn't know them, but one of them said hi to me, and so I tried to start a conversation with them. I said "You guys been golfing?" and sure enough on of the other guys said sarcastically "No, no (something sarcastic)", anyway, for about a second after he said that to me I didn't pick up on the sarcasm and thought that maybe they had gotten back from a fraternity where they have to dress up as something. Then I realized he was joking and it made me feel alittle stupid, but at the same time I realized that's a viable conversation starter, and that for him to make fun of my question was insensitive. Still, my SA used to be bad enough to where this would have made me really embarassed. I also shows a lot about how naive I am(not necessarily a bad thing IMO)

Moral of the story - if you're being sarcastic, you probably aren't funny.
He might have thought you were being slightly sarcastic in your question, as though the truth were very clear to everyone present that they were golfing. A misunderstanding.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He might have thought you were being slightly sarcastic in your question, as though the truth were very clear to everyone present that they were golfing. A misunderstanding.
I hadn't thought of it like that. I guess I have this notion that fraternity guys are all buttheads who don't care about other people's feelings, as long as it gets them sex and fun.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I hadn't thought of it like that. I guess I have this notion that fraternity guys are all buttheads who don't care about other people's feelings, as long as it gets them sex and fun.
One of the major fears that SA sufferers have is the fear of being judged. Maybe it would help if you didn't judge the frat guys, and assume that they are all the same. Maybe they were being rude to you, but maybe they were just joking. They could be good guys. I think if you fear people judging you, the worst thing to do is judge everyone else. I tend to do that as well, but I try to resist it as it just confirms my fears that people judge me when I do something awkward/stupid/weird.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts