Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sorry guys but this gives me the most anxiety.....having schizophrenia or bipolar......i dont want to scare anyone here but this is my true all time fear. what if i develop it in the future or my baby has it in the future....i know i am very healthy and attractive and all.....surrounded by good friends and family......but i feel that i have made such a bad impression of myself to others that they probably suspect i have something serious like schizophrenia or something......i know i dont.....but they have seen me during my high anxiety times where i was extremely tense and paranoid about the dumbest things....that was really odd.....even if i told you all.....you would think it was creapy....but i had my reasons to think the way i did....anyways....that is my fear......:cry.......and i think about it everyday......:cry.....im afraid of it! and afraid that people will think i am weird......

·
Registered
7 Posts
yeah down123 i know how you feel because i used to obsess over this all the time too. I would become aware of everything i did watching for signs or symptoms of psychosis. I would observe my every thought to see if it made any sense. We probablly have the slightest chance of developing these disorders because we are already afflicted with a neurotic disorder that does the complete and extreme opposite of what psychotic disorders do. If you so happen do develop something...there is help every where so that you can function as a person and continue to have a peaceful fulfilling life.

·
Registered
1 Posts
down123, it sounds like you might have a touch of OCD, most likely pure OCD. If you don't know what it is you might want to look it up. If you have one anxiety disorder chances are you have another one. Good luck.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
HEY GUYS i was the one that made this thread about a year ago.

i STILL have these weird feelings of "what if my anxiety downspirals into something else"?.

that makes me sooo nervous!!! i feel like us SA'ers are so close to getting something more serious, its like a thread or a fine line that is between us and schizo or bipolar...if we experience some sort of high stress we will cross over that line into darkness!!! ahhhhh.....sorry to all who have this already dont mean to put you in a different box or anything...i just want to be norrrrrrrrrrrmallllll!!!!!!! :(

anyone feel this way or have this fear???

·
Spectacular Member
21,089 Posts
i dont see any relation between bipolar or schitzo and social anxiety other than they are all mental illnesses.

·
In 'da 707
4,382 Posts
A lot of people here have had SA for awhile and don't have schizo or bipolar. They are different classes of psychological disorders. I'm not sure if they'res a stronger likelihood for schizo or bipolar if someone has anxiety, but there was no mention of anxiety being a trigger for those disorders in my general psych class. My mom's almost 45 and has had severe OCD like forever but no traces of schizo or bipolar. She's not even that depressed. I think it's an irrational fear that we will end up with those problems. It can happen, but it seems so rare.

·
SAS Veteran
1,841 Posts
Kind of a coincidence that I came upon this post because I had this dream I saw myself in my house like I was a twin or a clone. When I woke up I heard a sound in the house. It bothered me because I thought, what if someone is in the house or what if I think someone is in the house but I'm just going crazy or developing schizophrenia. I thought, what if I see myself? Or what if I see somebody else thats not really there? For a minute Iwas afraid I was losing myself.

I don't think we should worry that we might get that. Most of us deal with SA and GAD. It's very rare to just develop schizophrenia.

·
SAS Veteran
1,841 Posts
Kind of a coincidence that I came upon this post because I had this dream I saw myself in my house like I was a twin or a clone. When I woke up I heard a sound in the house. It bothered me because I thought, what if someone is in the house or what if I think someone is in the house but I'm just going crazy or developing schizophrenia. I thought, what if I see myself? Or what if I see somebody else thats not really there? For a minute Iwas afraid I was losing myself.

I don't think we should worry that we might get that. Most of us deal with SA and GAD. It's very rare to just develop schizophrenia.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
Noca and Carry are right - there is no clinical evidence that links SA with a progression into schizophrenia, although there is a link between major depression and instances of bipolar depression (which has good treatment possibilities). In fact, its considered very typical of SA that you FEAR going mad.

If you are genuinely concerned you are showing bipolar or schizoid tendencies, go to a doctor and get referred to a psych. Instead of theorising and panicking, go and get some closure on it.

If its any help, I have suffered from SA since I was 16 and depression since I was 13. I am now 29 and I have not become shizophrenic - I just still have SA and depression (the SA causes the depression - I'm now on my final leg of CBT to hopefully treat the SA!).

Stop adding worry and get out there and find some help for your SA. You will be much happier without it :yes

Ross

·
Registered
58 Posts
It's okay that you worry.

I think if you look at the medical evidence and talk with a doctor you will find that your fears aren't necessary. Being honest and really conversing with people is the best course for worry-freedom. Best wishes; I hope even this helps ;-)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts