Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Crap. Has anyone been on this stuff before? It's a Benzodiazepine used to treat insomnia associated with anxiety. My boyfriend has started taking it. He has Asperger's and anxiety problems. From what I've noticed he seems a lot happier, so I guess that's good.

The thing is, though, is that we had this upsetting conversation where he told me that I was miserable and he was going to 'fix' me, presumably by getting me on Somnatrol...I have no intention or desire to experiment with any sort of medication right now, so I was really annoyed about it...but he just said that he was also reluctant at first but that it made him feel better. Oh and just to clarify, he's taking it for depression/anxiety problems, not with any intention to cure or treat Asperger's.

I told him I do not want to end up taking drugs my entire life to treat anything and asked him if he intended to take it for such a long time, to which he replied, yes. But, reading about it online has revealed that it's very easy to become dependant on benzodiazepines and suffer withdrawls? It's a short term drug...I don't know. Maybe he doesn't know what he's talking about, which is very likely, but I really don't want him to become dependant on anything...does anyone know anything about this?

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
What he feels now (euphoria/happiness) wears off quickly, there's no shortcut to happiness (at least now). But he can become physically dependent on this stuff (intermediate acting benzo) pretty fast. Withdrawal is awful.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.