Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
The Phoenix
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I must say that I am very proud of myself in the last week. I have started getting myself out there and while I'm not going to be going to parties anytime soon I have noticed one important thing with goals lately. The best time to set a goal is on the spot. Don't try to plan what your going to do, or how your going to do it, JUST DO IT.

For example, earlier today there were people in the hallway laughing and I was sitting in my room wishing I had something to do. With no premeditation I decided I was sick of letting my fear dictate what I'm going to do with my life. I walked out the door, found the nearest neighbor with a door open and just started a conversation. And then without thinking again I told him, "Hey I'm going to dinner, want to come with?" And I think I may have made a friend out of the whole experience.

That has been much of my success this week is not overthinking anything other than, "I won't let this fear dictate my life." And you know what? The more I do it, the easier this is getting! I mean, I almost even looked a girl in the eyes today! Almost anyway >_<

·
Registered
113 Posts
Congratulations! It sounds like you're on your way to getting past SA.

·
breaking free
2,171 Posts
Good job on working to overcome your SA!

It works for me the same way too. If I say I am going to talk to someone in the hall a week from today, I usally procrastinate and don't do it; however, if I randomly see someone in the hall I want to talk to, I will usally do it. Making goals about overcoming anxiety ahead of time only seem to increase the anxiety.

It helps to know ahead of time what your goal is (i.e. I want to talk to more people in the hallways) but the only way to accomplish a goal is to actually do it. I have problems in getting bogged down in the planning stages of a goal; however, a lot of planning and no action usally tends to complicate things.

Again, great job for all the things you have accomplished so far!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Good point. I'm gonna try and do what you've done, make a goal on the spot and do it without thinking about it or analyzing things.
Usually I always plan ahead and I chicken out every time because I think too much about it.

Great job!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts