Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a rough day today, and I just came to the realization of how bad my SAD really is. I kind of suppressed it before, but its not working. I feel so alone at school. It's not just my classmates who don't get my social anxiety, it's my teachers. Perhaps they are well meaning but sometimes what they say in response to my behaviour makes me cry. For the past week I've had to excuse myself to go to the bathroom for several classes just to cry after a teacher confronts me about my "quietness".
I just want to talk to someone who understands social anxiety... we could help each other out, hopefully :)

·
Certified Loner
119 Posts
Hi friend :)
Feel free to pm me.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I was like that last year. It was my first year in college and my SAD was so bad that I never made any real friends and I barely made any aquiantances.
I did good in my classes (except for econ but I dropped it) but mainly because I plunged myself into studying. For the most I participated in class discussions enough so that my professors wouldn't mark me down or pick on me but also just enough so that they wouldn't expect me to participate and call on me because no one else was talking. There was one english professor that constantly picked on me because I was quiet. I ended up talking to her about it outside of class and told her about my anxiety (I left it at anxiety I didn't say SAD.) and afterwards she didn't call on me as much or push me too hard in class debates. I ended getting a good grade. Maybe You could try talking about it with an adviser or counselor or (as a last resort if your grades are bad) your professor. If you're worried about what they might think you can be very general about it you don't have to say you have SA. If you're really quiet and/or struggling in class and your professor doesn't know what's going on they're just going to give you bad grade. At least if they know they can understand why your performance in class is the way it is and try to help you.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Yea, my SA is REALLY bad and its such a hinderance that I probably don't belong in college. I have zero friends here. So you're not alone on that one. It REALLY hurts sometimes. If you ever want to talk, please pm me.
You should contact the school counseling center and find out if they provide Cognitive Behavioral therapy. Also, make an appointment with a psychiatrist. It should be free.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts