Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
subtastic
7,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They withdrew 400 dollars at 6 am, apparently. I called the bank in a panic but the guy was very helpful. Tomorrow I'll get a new card, and in ten business days I'm supposed to get my money back if they can be sure I'm not lying about it.

Has anyone here had this happen to them? I'm really freaked out by how easy it was for somebody to get my card and my pin numbers. I hardly even use my debit card.

·
Digimon Loyalist
2,031 Posts
Thankfully that's never happened to me before, although you handled the situation very well. :) If that ever happened to me I would have freaked out. :afr How did the guy(or girl) get your card and pin number?!

·
subtastic
7,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know. I guess they must have leaned over my shoulder and, what, took a picture? I'm not really sure how that sort of thing is done, but I'm definitely going to be more careful about protecting my pin now.

·
SAS Member
14,408 Posts
Sometimes they use fake debit card machines(when you pay at stores and stuff) It looks exactly like a real one, but any number entered is registered and your purchase will alway be accepted.
Thats why it's always a good idea to type in a false number if you're suspicious of the place. That way you know if its fake or not when the false pin is accepted.

I do that everywhere i go, lol. I always type a false pin just in case. I even do it at places i often go, like when it's a employee i've never seen before or something.
yes, you can call me paranoid :lol

I'm sorry it happened to you, but at least you'll get it back :)

·
Done with SA
1,818 Posts
I'm sorry this happened to you.
It happened to me about a month and a half ago. I was checking my bank account like usual one night and noticed someone had bought a few things on my card totaling around 250. Luckily, I caught it and went to the bank the next day and they cut off the credit to that account and I wasn't charged for anything. They finally figured out who it was after the guy tried to make a charge after the account was closed.
He had bought some western boots, costing 115 dollars, and a bunch of music. Maybe he was trying to learn to country line dance.

·
Born Of Blotmonað
19,028 Posts
Sometimes they use fake debit card machines(when you pay at stores and stuff) It looks exactly like a real one, but any number entered is registered and your purchase will alway be accepted.
Thats why it's always a good idea to type in a false number if you're suspicious of the place. That way you know if its fake or not when the false pin is accepted.

I do that everywhere i go, lol. I always type a false pin just in case. I even do it at places i often go, like when it's a employee i've never seen before or something.

I was just going to say the same thing, there was a huge bust a while back involving employees of convenience stores & con artists. The employees would swap the regular machine with a corrupt one which would allow for the capture of info, then con artists made fake cards in their safe houses. It was very elaborate actually, they were making fake ID's as well so really creating personas with others ID information

·
Digimon Loyalist
2,031 Posts
I don't know. I guess they must have leaned over my shoulder and, what, took a picture? I'm not really sure how that sort of thing is done, but I'm definitely going to be more careful about protecting my pin now.
Yeah you have to be careful especially with today's technology, anyone can take a photo with their cellphone cameras. They could be pretending to use their cellphone and then take a photo without anyone noticing. :um

·
Banned
309 Posts
omg, that is really scary to think about o_o... and I always thought debit was relatively safe...

·
Registered
4,309 Posts

Hmm sneaky. Lots of customers at work seem to always enter the wrong pin. I never realized that at least a handful were probably doing this. That's a smart idea.

·
Viva La Raza!
34,841 Posts
it happend to me twice with my credit card. the bank gave me my money back but it took over a month.. it was capital one

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
I'm sorry this happened to you.

I don't know. I guess they must have leaned over my shoulder and, what, took a picture?
The machine might also have been tampered with.
"The most common cash machine crime is skimming. A device fitted to the cash machine records your details. Your PIN is captured by a small overhead camera."
Cash machine fraud: skimming, card entrapment, distraction

Or someone might have copied your card:
Most cases of counterfeit fraud involve skimming, a process where the genuine data on a card's magnetic stripe is electronically copied onto another card, without the legitimate cardholder's knowledge. Skimming can occur at retail outlets - particularly bars, restaurants and petrol stations - where a corrupt employee puts your card through a device, without your knowledge, that electronically copies the data from your card's magnetic stripe.
Types of card fraud

Advice for cardholders

·
···---···
3,375 Posts
I haven't had this happen to me but I never use debit cards for purchases... just to withdraw cash. I have had a credit card stolen from my mail though. I didn't even realize it happened until the card issuer called me and asked if I had made charges. But I didn't have to pay for any of that.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts