Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
you will never get better if you don't go out and do something, if you just set around scared all day nothing will change, for instance i went back home on vacation. i haven't seen my friends or family for years. after a few days of being home i went out the the local bar we all used to hang out at to see every one.. i was having major anxiety on the way out to the bar and freaking out a bit. but after i got there and settled down i had a great time with all my friends

later that week i took my acoustic guitar up to that same bar. i know the owner of the bar and he is always up there. i told him i was gonna play my guitar that night in between the other acoustic bands that were playing that night. and i did. i played my heat out for about half a hour.

i havent played live music in about 5 years so when i got up there and plugged in my acoustic to the p.a. my anxiety started kicking in big time. i was scared to death but i did it. every one clapped and i got a lot of positive comments form the people that heard me play. especially from my friends.. the owner said if i ever move back to town hell give me a gig playing there every other week. if you want to check out my music look me up on myspace myspace.com/dannylightningrocks

i started righting songs acoustic about a month ago and never really practiced them that much just wrote one and recorded it, i had to take cheet sheet with me just in case so i did not mess up, but i figured while i was in town i maids well play a show . when i was younger i played in a lot of bands and that was always scary but when its just you and your guitar with no backing band that makes it way worse. so this was a terrifying experience.. i have been wanting to start playing out for a long time but haven't got enough courage up to do it.. guess it made it easier being home and in a place i was familiar with. when they asked me if i was ready to rock out all i had to say was something like i hope its not going to be a disaster.

but i got up there faced my fears and anxiety.. and you need to do the same thing or nothing is gonna change if you jsut set around and let your self be scared all the time.. so the moral of the story is go out there and force your self to do the things you are scared. its pretty cool when you do and every thing goes great. it should help you be a little less scared next time.

im a guy that rarley leaves the house except to go to work. im really quiet, i dont like being around people, after i moved out of state i really havent made any friends. i just kind of hang around the house alone all the time.. and i went out and did something like that.. so can you..

·
breaking free
2,171 Posts
Great job for facing your fears and thanks for the inspiration! The few times I have done something out of my confort zone, I had the greatest feeling when I was done. I hope to get out of my comfort zone more often so that I can experience more of this good feeling (despite the really bad feeling at first) :)

Good luck on overcoming your shyness. Wishing you more of that great feeling of overcoming your fears :)

·
Banned
728 Posts
Facing my fears is the hardest thing ever. I'm glad you have found comfort in a social setting though.

I doubt i'll ever find a social place that i feel comfortable in.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Is this really true? i mean, as an intelligent person (professionally certified high i.q.) i've reached many 'beliefs' and held to them with confidence, and yet these days i have none. why? failure. I respect the message danny lightning, but are you sure you should offer this as fact? maybe yur wrong. Although doing like you say and 'facing the fear' has worked for me at times, at other times 'facing the beast' has proved aweful. I carry these memories like lead, they may even be the cause of my fear in the first place, all that early bullying might be at the back of my mind. i think there is a time to be with others, and then a time to be away, rest and recover etc. I've had great times with others, and terrible ones too, but either way, i can't say why. can you?

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
i wish facing my fears was the problem. After about a minute, ill feel fine, or ill have anxiety that i cant shrug off and it will get worse until i escape. Its so unpredictable

1 - 5 of 5 Posts