Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you may know that the biggest obstacle for me in a social world is eye-contact. Basically, I'm obsessed about the way my eyes look.

This is what I've noticed about my eyes:

- Right eye is the dominant eye. It often represents different emotions than the left one. Right eye is usually angry, afraid, furious, confident. The left one often looks oppressed, representing feelings of sadness, depression, softness and warmth.

- When I analyze my right eye in the mirror, the size of it's pupil fluctuates.

- Washing my face with cold water usually removes all the described effects temporarily.

Could this be a sign of early schizophrenia or bi-polar disorder? Or am I just too much obsessed about my eyes?

Waiting for serious answers - thanks!

·
Registered
290 Posts
doesn't sound like schizophrenia or bi-polar whatsoever. it just seems you over-think this, you're too concerned about the way one part of your body looks, i think it's just a symptom of anxiety, so maybe try not to analyze your eyes too much anymore, don't look in the mirror too many times thinking about it.

·
Fun...Fluid...Formidable
7,159 Posts
Well, it's just anxiety in the form of over analysis and then the same old worries (mental illness). But, our eyes are different so you may be just sensitive to those differences in them. I think you should look at them again and describe them in positive attributes. JMO. Or stop looking at them altogether. :lol

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
I'd have to agree with the first response that you're over-thinking this. I seriously doubt that anybody is looking closely at your eyes nor cares what they look like. I base this upon the fact that I don't examine other people's eyes and would imagine that it's likely they, like myself, are not staring into the eye's of strangers to find emotions.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I can't say I notice just people's eyes to that degree. You see emotion in facial expression along with the eyes, not the eyes alone.

What I do see is that this is a form that your SA is taking. So even while I don't understand how one can worry what just their eyes are 'saying', I suppose that is not unlike someone saying "hey, I am shy too- but I just get on with it" when I tell them how debilitating my SA can be.

SA can take on many forms and be very dependent on situations. One person has an issue only with making phone calls, another can barely leave the house alone, and still others, like you, have eye anxiety. Myself, I cannot go out of my house without full make up and 'perfect' hair- though my husband assures me that I look pretty much the same without make up- but to me I see all these flaws that I am convinced will make people stare at me and think I am ugly.

We all have our quirks. :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts