Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mostly I think I feel guilty about it. I feel like a loser for not being able to let my past go. I feel weak because I keep letting my past hurt me. I feel shallow for caring so much about what other people think. I feel unreedemable for all of the irresonsible and mean things i've done to escape my anxiety. In essence it would be like saying "Signifigant other, I know you think I'm just wierd but infact I'm a real loser that is shallow, stupid, mean and irresponsible. That's who I feel like I am, that's what I'm hiding from people. What I'm afraid they see when they look at me, or hear in every word I say.

·
Top 5 Poster
6,051 Posts
well just because you feel something doesnt make it true

For example, People who overeat will feel hungry even though their body doesnt need food
Beautiful women feel ugly, even though they look very attractive
People living in big houses, driving BMWs, take gigantic risks to make more money

Just because you feel stupid, and like a loser doesnt mean you are. People are way too self concerned to care what you are, they are all worried about themselves, trust me, just like you are worried about your appearances, your thoughts, your words, they are too.

Infact very little judgement of what the other person is ever takes place

·
Registered
484 Posts
You guys shouldn't feel that way. What I think is important to realize is that those negative thoughts are just thoughts, and not an accurate reflection of reality. I think if you come to accept that (and realize that) you will be much better off. Think about this scenario: what if all of a sudden, your mind started telling you that you are an awesome person with no flaws? Would you just accept it as fact, even though you innately are aware of the fact that no one is perfect? It would make more sense to just see thoughts as thoughts, and nothing more. So what I would do is to just start becoming mindful of my thoughts. If negative thoughts pop in, realize that they are not inherently a part of you, they are just little pop-ups that flow in and out of your consciousness. Separate yourself from your negative thoughts about the past, the thoughts of being a loser, etc. and realize that all it is is certain neural connections in the brain going off. Become mindful of these thoughts, realize they have no grounded basis in reality, and start judging yourself based on your actions, not little negative blimps going off in your head.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.