Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
wifi2010012-
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From reading these forums i was just supprised how people here experiment with all kinds of drugs, so unhealthy and don't think you will find some drug combo that will alone cure your anxiety, that want happen i gurantee, 50 % are drugs and other 50 % are all on you. And some people here could be diagnosed with Cyberchondria and they egzagerate but maybe their anxiety aren't that bad.

·
Yes
1,760 Posts
Yes, I suppose all the people in the medication section here are self-prescribing their own prescriptions too?

Of course there will always been some people self-diagnosing, and even some that fool their GP who doesn't know better. But a lot of people on this board have also been diagnosed by a psychiatrist who knows what they're doing and have been doing therapy for quite a while as well.

More importantly, why do you care so much that you decide to find a board such as this one and make an account just to call people out on stuff like this?

·
wifi2010012-
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am sorry if i hurted anyone but i still believe there is truth what i said in the post and i will not make anymore posts like this sorry again.

·
aldehyde dehydrogenaser
7,364 Posts
I am sorry if i hurted anyone but i still believe there is truth what i said in the post and i will not make anymore posts like this sorry again.
I agree with you in some part, medication isn't a cure-all and I don't think there's any certain type of medication that can make you more "social" and 'outgoing' i.e. wanting to engage others in conversation suddenly turning you into a social butterfly and talking more than you normally would (however, alcohol might do that for some.. or ecstasy). I don't think medication can really give you any assertive skills/bravery or any skills that you could gain instead from CBT which makes changes in your brain anyway and gives you more practice and experience in your achieving your goals. It lets you learn more without having to resort to drugs. I think it's more effective if both are combined, though I understand that for some they really can't help it if they need medication for severe cases.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I don't think there's any certain type of medication that can make you more "social" and 'outgoing' i.e. wanting to engage others in conversation suddenly turning you into a social butterfly
Well I don't think that you have found the right meds with a statement like that.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Hell, .....I was just down in London meeting a girl I only knew for one night, ......stayed in a flat with 4 of her friends. I used to be scared of meeting new people, ....especially attractive girls.

My fingers are crossed that this combo I am on keeps working. The only downside is that I am spending more money because I am always out and I am not wasting my life away on my couch watching tv.

But hey, .....it's only money. Life it far too short.

Meds gave me my life back.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Hell, .....I was just down in London meeting a girl I only knew for one night, ......stayed in a flat with 4 of her friends. I used to be scared of meeting new people, ....especially attractive girls.

My fingers are crossed that this combo I am on keeps working. The only downside is that I am spending more money because I am always out and I am not wasting my life away on my couch watching tv.

But hey, .....it's only money. Life it far too short.

Meds gave me my life back.
good to hear gillette, so are you still on just 150 of the effexor or have you moved up now?

·
Registered
676 Posts
From reading these forums i was just supprised how people here experiment with all kinds of drugs, so unhealthy and don't think you will find some drug combo that will alone cure your anxiety, that want happen i gurantee, 50 % are drugs and other 50 % are all on you. And some people here could be diagnosed with Cyberchondria and they egzagerate but maybe their anxiety aren't that bad.
Very, very few people, if any people on here are stupid enough to think that absolutely all their anxiety will be removed by a med. If you are making the accusation that people who try lots of meds are looking for something that will completely remove all anxiety, then that's pretty dang ignorant. If you can show me studies where it is proven that meds are 'so unhealthy' or that they are more dangerous to an individuals health than that individual killing himself I'd love to read it. Otherwise, I'm afraid your comments have no credibility.

Yes, naturally some people probably do exaggerate the true levels of stress they experience due to a lack of understanding or confusion about what level of anxiety or depression is normal for a person. Perhaps they are just trying to understand or give meaning to their temporary stress by thinking they have a mental illness that needs the help of med when they don't really. You can't speak poorly of those people either because they are likely just trying to improve their lives and understand themselves. Psychology is naturally very abstract and poorly understood by science so lots of mistakes in truly understanding ourselves are to be expected. However understanding the difference between people who truly have some mental illness to the point of needing the help of meds and those who don't is very easy: People that don't need meds try them, realize that meds generally suck and don't help much, stop taking them, then get over their temporary depression or whatever after some time, go to school, get married, have kids and lead a relatively normal and joyful life (or some similar variant). Those who DO need them try them, realize that meds generally suck and don't help that much, they stop taking them, then quickly return to a state of severely decreased functionality in day to day life, or they go back to considering committing suicide on a daily basis or some other very dysfunctional behavior that interferes with their life. Then after awhile these people realize that in order to stay alive or be functional in life they need to deal with the generally crappy effects of meds in order to reap the subtle positive effects of the meds which at least allow them to be functional or keep from offing themselves.
Get it? Its really not that complex.

·
Registered
192 Posts
good to hear gillette, so are you still on just 150 of the effexor or have you moved up now?
Hey Jim, I'm still on 150mg Effexor XR but it is working great. I no longer have OCD and paranoid thoughts when I am out, my pdoc has talked about upping the dosage but right now I have no side effects and it is working great for my mood as well as my anxiety, so we are just going to see how it pans out. When I mix my Clonazepam, ......Wham, anxiety is non existent.

I am careful with my Clonazepam and only use it PRN, ......I guess that is why I have never built up tolerance and can stop without withdrawal.

How you getting on mate?

·
wifi2010012-
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah, you can turn yourself into a social butterfly with the right meds.
Ok maybe you are right on that, but what for people who tried almost all medications and still not enough improvment what are they next options wait 3 more years until they make some other drug and try that.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Hey Jim, I'm still on 150mg Effexor XR but it is working great. I no longer have OCD and paranoid thoughts when I am out, my pdoc has talked about upping the dosage but right now I have no side effects and it is working great for my mood as well as my anxiety, so we are just going to see how it pans out. When I mix my Clonazepam, ......Wham, anxiety is non existent.

I am careful with my Clonazepam and only use it PRN, ......I guess that is why I have never built up tolerance and can stop without withdrawal.

How you getting on mate?
Thats good to hear, If its working at 150mg then if I were you I'd just keep it at that dose, no point exposing yourself to possible side effects at higher dosages if the dose your already on is working great. :)

I'm doing alrite thanks, I'm currently on 45 mg of remeron, which also increases serotonin and norepinephrine, just through a different mechanism.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts