Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Socially Anxious Extrovert?

I believe I am a Socially Anxious Extrovert. Here's something I found on a website about them-

"These people have acquaintances and family members who have differing opinions on their shyness. When young, they like to laugh and act silly to entertain the other children in their class. Despite this, they still don't feel they have any friends. Each friendship they come to seems unrewarding and they are apt to feeling sorry for themselves. They have a lot of energy and enthusiasm for certain projects. They are good students who can speak up in class, but find it terrifying to speak to other students outside of the school setting. At home they are loud and even annoying at times. They can be smart-asses. Their demeanor changes with the people that surround them. They are self-conscious around their peers, but can usually talk easily with those who are much older or younger. Some of them might be called dorks, but they tend to check what they say and do for fear of looking foolish. Their double personality causes them inner turmoil. They have trouble in relationships because they find it difficult to even enter into one. Flirting directly is a big no-no. They are well aware of a crush's presence in a room, but will never make direct eye-contact or conversation, unless it is unavoidable. They instead will drop conversation within earshot of the crush, hoping that they will find the talker interesting. The shy introvert finds that this never works, but continues doing it anyway. They are not very noticeable except to the few people who know them well. They find being the center of attention both exhilarating and horrible."

This describes me very well.

Here's a small but good article about it on About.com with a poll of what kind of person you are: Introvert - shy, Introvert - outgoing, Extrovert - shy, or Extrovert - outgoing.
http://socialanxietydisorder.about.com/b/2008/01/18/bookworms-can-be-social-butterflies-in-their-own-way.htm
Interesting results...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Wow. I had never heard of that before. Some of it seems to apply to my situation. Especially the part about being more comfortable with people either older or younger than myself. A lot of times I find that it's my peers that make me the most uncomfortable. The part about the crush is also dead on.

Interesting. Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

·
Fun...Fluid...Formidable
7,159 Posts
Extrovert ...is this a pole? Cuz I loves me some votin' . . . shyesh ah do.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Oh goodness, I might just be a socially anxious extrovert. :eek:ops Then again, it isn't too much of a surprise to me, as I've always suspected that I might be one if I didn't have social anxiety. This just gives me more motivation to try and overcome it, because it would be fun to be able to talk to people without being afraid.

·
dirt person
2,788 Posts
Describes me pretty well - especially the part about feeling most anxious with people your same age. And about friendships that seem unrewarding.
Still it feels weird to think of myself of an "extrovert".

·
breaking free
2,171 Posts
That description describes me dead-in, but I am definitely an introvert. I need my alone time to relax, and always have needed it (even before SA). Is it possible to be an introvert and an extrovert?

I guess it doen't matter. Labels don't mean anything.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts