Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Meek
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just thinking...a lot of the experiences I relate here are examples of social awkwardness. Do you feel you're both socially awkward AND socially anxious, or just one or the other? My husband, for example is socially anxious sometimes but is actually very socially adept and smooth.

I'm....definitely both. Lucky me.

·
serious
340 Posts
For me personally, my social anxiety lead to me being inexperienced in social behaviour, because i avoided it. which in turn lead to social awkwardness.

·
Regretful still.
1,595 Posts
My social anxiety makes me do socially awkward things.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Definitely both. It's always felt like everyone else was born with the rules of interaction already ingrained, but I have to learn them though observation, trail and error.

·
Registered
163 Posts
My social akwardness gave life and sustenance to the seed of social anxiety that dwelled in my heart and DNA since birth.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I think everybody's got a little bit of social awkwardness in them...but not everybody's got social anxiety. As in, everybody embarrasses themselves from time to time, but not everybody is scared to even get out of the house (for example).

·
Banned
1,460 Posts
i think anxiety causes me to act in an awkward way, also im not used to being around people so i guess that's what causes the anxiety

·
Out there...
5,124 Posts
I pretty much get behind what Bik, curious, and Pilacious just said.

And as much I hate to acknowledge this I am "socially awkward", even though I prefer to be labeled as "socially anxious" (which I am also). I just hate the "socially awkward" term because it makes you feel like a lonely, weird, 5-year old litte boy that everyone purposely ignores.

·
Freedom is lurking
809 Posts
They each fuel the other. Awkward makes anxious, and anxious maintains awkward.

·
Cynical Idealist
1,339 Posts
I'm always awkward, but only sometimes anxious. I think it's hard to pinpoint if one was the cause of the other. Which came first, the chicken or the egg?

·
Next to normal
2,727 Posts
I've always been very socially awkward and because of this I developed social anxiety.

·
Next to normal
2,727 Posts
That's interesting. I'm thinking it's usually the reverse. How did the social awkwardness start then, if it wasn't the anxiety? Where can you trace it back to?
Well I've pretty much always been socially awkward around people and I've never been able to connect with people or get them in general. I guess it became more noticable in elementary school and it became a problem in 6th/7th grade which led me to stop wanting to talk to people altogether.

·
Out there...
5,124 Posts
Well I've pretty much always been socially awkward around people and I've never been able to connect with people or get them in general. I guess it became more noticable in elementary school and it became a problem in 6th/7th grade which led me to stop wanting to talk to people altogether.
But what made it socially awkward in the first place? Don't mind me, I'm just curious since you felt the reverse happened in your case.

·
Registered
302 Posts
both at times...but I think I'm more socially anxious than awkward. I actually don't think I'd be very awkward at all, just quiet, if it wasn't for my anxiety issues. my anxiety can occasionally make me awkward:/

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
I called myself socially awkward in therapy in sort of a self-deprecating way. My therapist interjected and said I wasn't socially awkward. I don't know what I am. I guess I'm paying for her advice/observations so I should listen. Sometimes I do well in social situations. Sometimes I don't. I'm really hard on myself though. I replay conversations. Ah!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts