Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Social Stimulation

It seems like there are many supplements that will help reduce anxiety, but does anyone know if there is anything that will make you want to talk more?

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Benzos reduce anxiety... alcohol definitely makes me talk more, but it does tend to take a little bit of intelligence away from the conversation. Adderall is an interesting idea, but wouldn't that increase anxiety?

·
Registered
440 Posts
You might want to research Prozac pharmacology. It has a lot interesting effects in some people, like personality change: mostly from introverted/inhibited to extraverted/seeking out and wanting conversation. I'm not sure what exactly causes that in good responders, but if you do find out, that's probably the solution. Definitely has a relation to serotonin/dopamine, in the frontal lobe.

·
Registered
263 Posts
You might want to research Prozac pharmacology. It has a lot interesting effects in some people, like personality change: mostly from introverted/inhibited to extraverted/seeking out and wanting conversation. I'm not sure what exactly causes that in good responders, but if you do find out, that's probably the solution. Definitely has a relation to serotonin/dopamine, in the frontal lobe.
I've never seen any proof that Prozac causes personality changes. Such as making someone who introverted/inhibited go to extroverted/seeking out social interaction.

If there is proof to that statement I would love to see it somewhere unbiased

·
Registered
263 Posts
Benzos reduce anxiety... alcohol definitely makes me talk more, but it does tend to take a little bit of intelligence away from the conversation. Adderall is an interesting idea, but wouldn't that increase anxiety?
Adderall is really the best option out there for pro social effects. For me it really rids me of most SA symptoms. The problem is the crash is aweful. The insomnia sucks. And it TOTALLY kills appetite. It's is not a good treatment for SA but it does help to some degree. Just not practical. Adderall has never given me anxiety. If anything it gives me the extra confidence to take on things that would cause anxiety, hence no anxiety. But that is just me.

Another stim you can try which works with dopamine and offers less anxiety then Adderall is Dexedrine.

Overall.....Stims work. But they are far far far from practical to use. Tolerence builts fast. The crash makes you feel depressed and empty. It's a tough nut to crack with stims. I am trying to figure out how to practically work for me, with no luck. Good luck

·
Registered
263 Posts
Also to add....Alcohol doesn't make me pro social. If anything I feel more anti social from it. Then again that is me. But I agree with you, alcohol is a sloppy drunk type of pro social which you are not looking for. People more then likely wouldn't even knew you took an adderall while you were being social....

·
Registered
440 Posts
I've never seen any proof that Prozac causes personality changes. Such as making someone who introverted/inhibited go to extroverted/seeking out social interaction.

If there is proof to that statement I would love to see it somewhere unbiased
Proof #1: myself.
Proof #2: Read the book Listening to Prozac. It gives anecdotal and scientific proof of personality change.

I can tell you're not sold on the idea of Prozac changing personalities, but it does and can occur. It is not common, but it's not rare in the sense that it happens to one lucky individual.

I can go into detail if you need.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Arguments could be made both ways on whether medication changes personalities. It could also be alleviating depressive symptoms. I would also like to add more stimulating medications like Effexor (approved for social phobia) may also have prosocial effects.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Proof #1: myself.
Proof #2: Read the book Listening to Prozac. It gives anecdotal and scientific proof of personality change.

I can tell you're not sold on the idea of Prozac changing personalities, but it does and can occur. It is not common, but it's not rare in the sense that it happens to one lucky individual.

I can go into detail if you need.
I am not sold on the idea. But please go into detail. Im always open to hearing someone else reaction. My problem with what you told me was prozac changed your personality from introvert to extrovert. I dont understand how that is pharmacology possible, based on the chemical structure of the medicine. The biggest divide between introversion and extroversion is motivation/reward. All falling back to dopamine. I believe Dopamine plays a HUGE role. It may not be the complete structure, but its role between introvert/extrovert is huge. As little as I know regarding Prozac; it's role on dopamine is either non existent or very minimal. We are born into one temperament or the other. Maybe prozac allowed you to fake extroversion skills (act outgoing, being more fun, funny, laugh easily, enjoy people more etc.....). However, you'll always be introvert. I play the role of an extrovert very well. The problem is I don't want to play the role....I want to FEEL it.

Some folks have different definitions of introvert/extrovert. Some even believe the terms are irrelivant. Most people describe the differences of the two by how they recharge there batteries. I agree but I have to add to the two temperaments. Introversion/Extroversion is how you feel and experience life. Introverts live by internalizing experences. They are usualy super smart, thinkers, cautious, reserved people. Extroverts on the other hand are driven by the outter world chasesing after feelings and emotions. That's why extroverts are wired to laugh easier, joke around easier, and easily make new friends. Essentially anything regarding to feeling and chasing emotions extroverts are naturally wired up to do with little effort on there part. This isn't the say introverts don't laugh or joke around, they can. However accessing those resources in the brain for them doesnt come as quickly for them and can be quite challenging at times....

I will glance at the book you suggested. Hopefully it explain biologically how prozac changed them from one temerment to the other. Though I speculate it will go into many deals about how introverts were able to fake extroversion.

http://serendip.brynmawr.edu/bb/neuro/neuro99/web1/Mintzer.html

·
Registered
263 Posts
Arguments could be made both ways on whether medication changes personalities. It could also be alleviating depressive symptoms. I would also like to add more stimulating medications like Effexor (approved for social phobia) may also have prosocial effects.
If you dont naturally feel pro social; drugs like effexor will only allow you to be more prosocial if something like anxiety or depression is holding you back. This is assuming your fairly social to begin with (but its hidden by axniety and depression......hence your dopamine levels are cool, but your NE levels maybe out of balance). Effexor then may allow you to demonstrate more prosocial behaviour that has been hidden.

But what about the people who lack pro social behavior that leads to anxiety and depression. There isn't much hope for them....... These are the folks who need Dopamine to induce socialibity and feel it. Unfortunately as I am seeing on this board, we are in the minority and often ignored by big Pharm. Thank You Mr DEA for saving me from myself....:steam

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
I am not sold on the idea. But please go into detail. Im always open to hearing someone else reaction. My problem with what you told me was prozac changed your personality from introvert to extrovert. I dont understand how that is pharmacology possible, based on the chemical structure of the medicine. The biggest divide between introversion and extroversion is motivation/reward. All falling back to dopamine. I believe Dopamine plays a HUGE role.
Some serotonin receptors enhance dopamine, some suppress it. Prozac blocks the 5-HT2C receptor, theoretically lacking the same extent of dopamine suppression as other SSRIs. This could play a role in any pro-social effect. Even so, I don't think it's as simple as neurotransmitter reductionism.

But what about the people who lack pro social behavior that leads to anxiety and depression. There isn't much hope for them....... These are the folks who need Dopamine to induce socialibity and feel it. Unfortunately as I am seeing on this board, we are in the minority and often ignored by big Pharm. Thank You Mr DEA for saving me from myself....:steam
Triple reuptake inhibitors (5-HT, DA, NA) are in development. For SA, I'd guess the ideal ratio to be around 1:2:5, respectively. It's going to be an interesting time for society if/when they come out...

·
Registered
263 Posts
Triple reuptake inhibitors (5-HT, DA, NA) are in development. For SA, I'd guess the ideal ratio to be around 1:2:5, respectively. It's going to be an interesting time for society if/when they come out...
Are you refering to SDNRI's? Good luck waiting. The last round that was suppose to be avaible this year fell through and the study was cancled.

Assuming you are referring to an SDNRI how do u think that will effect SA/us? Keep in mind our SA problem is very different from many here on this board

·
Registered
440 Posts
I am not sold on the idea. But please go into detail. Im always open to hearing someone else reaction. My problem with what you told me was prozac changed your personality from introvert to extrovert. I dont understand how that is pharmacology possible, based on the chemical structure of the medicine. The biggest divide between introversion and extroversion is motivation/reward. All falling back to dopamine. I believe Dopamine plays a HUGE role. It may not be the complete structure, but its role between introvert/extrovert is huge. As little as I know regarding Prozac; it's role on dopamine is either non existent or very minimal. We are born into one temperament or the other. Maybe prozac allowed you to fake extroversion skills (act outgoing, being more fun, funny, laugh easily, enjoy people more etc.....). However, you'll always be introvert. I play the role of an extrovert very well. The problem is I don't want to play the role....I want to FEEL it.

Some folks have different definitions of introvert/extrovert. Some even believe the terms are irrelivant. Most people describe the differences of the two by how they recharge there batteries. I agree but I have to add to the two temperaments. Introversion/Extroversion is how you feel and experience life. Introverts live by internalizing experences. They are usualy super smart, thinkers, cautious, reserved people. Extroverts on the other hand are driven by the outter world chasesing after feelings and emotions. That's why extroverts are wired to laugh easier, joke around easier, and easily make new friends. Essentially anything regarding to feeling and chasing emotions extroverts are naturally wired up to do with little effort on there part. This isn't the say introverts don't laugh or joke around, they can. However accessing those resources in the brain for them doesnt come as quickly for them and can be quite challenging at times....

I will glance at the book you suggested. Hopefully it explain biologically how prozac changed them from one temerment to the other. Though I speculate it will go into many deals about how introverts were able to fake extroversion.

http://serendip.brynmawr.edu/bb/neuro/neuro99/web1/Mintzer.html
Hm...I can tell you right now you're 100% wrong. You probably don't want to hear that, but I'll go into detail later, and write a whole thing about it.

·
Registered
263 Posts
This could play a role in any pro-social effect. Even so, I don't think it's as simple as neurotransmitter reductionism.

exactly, and if that is the case for some folks great. That doesn't include the rest of us like you and I who's main problem is an out of balanced DA system

1 - 20 of 44 Posts