Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I know this is short notice but I have a social event tonight where many people will be getting together and many of us meeting for the first time. Some people I know already though. This event will be at a drinking establishment so I could simply drink a bunch and be fine.

My choice though is should I drink or should I use my medication? I was going to use 2 mg klonopin + 40 mg adderall. I have never tried this combo before but I heard it works wonders and could possibly be superior to alcohol for SA. As another alternative I could use the adderall and drink alcohol instead of using benzos (this would be preferred if it works since I wouldn't be wasting my benzos).

I don't have anything else to use so please dont recommended anything. I have prescriptions for both of these meds at these doses so this is nothing illegal either. I do not want to exceed the doses mentioned. So what do you think? Alcohol or meds or combo? Which would be the best for tonight? Also please don't say something like "you don't need meds" or some crap. Thanks.

· Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Thanks for the post. My hope is that 40mg adderall will be enough. Does that sound too low? I really don't want to exceed this amount. Also it is just regular adderall - not XR.

Oh by the way, I have no tolerance to these meds either.

· Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, sounds good then. I have decided to go with the alcohol + adderall combo. I'll report back later how things went. Could be late tonight or perhaps sometime tomorrow depending on whatever happens.

· She-Wolf
5,984 Posts
40mg and adderall and alcohol is an excellent combo

don't take a benzo - i have a habit of taking it for the anxiety before situations sometimes but i always regret it once i start to drink.

adderall can cause those adrenaline symptoms similar to anxiety but they usually subside once you get some alcohol in your system.

i've also found that having a benzo before drinking tends to make the hangover the next day worse (my mood more so than the physical hangover)

· Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I have learned my lessons as far as benzos + alcohol. that just plain puts me to sleep - knocks me out would be a better term. That's one reason why I decided not to go for the benzos tonight. Just in case anything poops out on me, I know I can grab a few more drinks and still be ok.

· ThirdEyeGrind
1,284 Posts
Drink some beer. Thats what I/most people would do. If you don't drink then take a benzo or two before you go (if you have access to benzo's). And then if you have access to some kind of Opiate, that would definitely do the trick. Hope you have a good time.

· Registered
2,404 Posts
Adderall + alcohol should kill even severe SA temporarily.

· Banned
642 Posts
I usually use a Benzo/Red Bull Combo and it usually helps me enough to at least enjoy myself to a certain degree. Depending on how quick the benzo works I would take it leading up to the event, then start drinking a red bull maybe an hour before I walk into the door.

· Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok well I did the alcohol + adderall combo as I planned. It certainly destroyed SA entirely. I started drinking first and I haven't drank in a while so it certainly caught up to me quick which was an unexpected complication. I realized I needed to down the adderall before I got too drunk. Took about an hour for the adderall to kick in. I planned it so that the adderall would kick in about a half hour after I arrived (all of this was done pre-party).

There was a period during which the usual drunken drowsiness was suddenly gone but the anxiolysis and relaxed state remained. I had no fear of anything at this point and felt that I had an absurd amount of confidence as well as a strong drive to socialize with everyone I could. I was truly an extrovert. I wound up talking to tons of people, joking a lot, and dancing with who knows how many girls on the dance floor (not that this was really my goal). The shock was in just how utterly fearless I was in approaching women for dancing/talking. I had a lot of good 1on1 conversations as well.

This was an interesting experiment, but there are still some tweaks I wish I had made. First off, I felt that I drank too much. This somewhat prevented me from really knowing what was kicking in when. It probably would have been better to have just gotten a slight buzzed feeling and then taken the adderall.

Also, in retrospect I would like to have tried benzos instead of alcohol. I think they would have not overlapped as much with what the adderall was trying to do and I would have been able to more easily distinguish which effects were coming from what. Not to mention, I am trying to wean alcohol out of my normal social night regimen due to health effects and the bad hangovers it causes.

· Banned
642 Posts
Not to mention, I am trying to wean alcohol out of my normal social night regimen due to health effects and the bad hangovers it causes.
I hear ya on that one. Normally I don't get bad hangovers, but It KILLS my motivation to do ANYTHING for like a good week. Having the drive to want to be personable and chatty with people is already a chore and alcohol makes it worse.

· She-Wolf
5,984 Posts
how much adderall did you take?

my tolerance has gone up so high, it's crazy. before when i would buy it through someone i was able to take like 15mg and get a really good high/energy/not much SA. over time that amount stopped working, and now if i go out i take about 30mg but it still doesn't do much in terms of give me a high, it just helps my SA a little.

i got a prescription for it recently (for inattentive ADHD) and i take 20mg a day and i barely feel it, it only has a minor affect on my concentration. i can't really remember what the max dose should be, but i'm hoping my doc will keep raising it (i should mention that i'm not trying to fake my way to get it for the high, i actually need it on a daily basis for my severe focus/attention/concentration problems that hold me back immensely).

· sa challenger
5,085 Posts
i didnt know adderall helped with sa. Is is prescribed for that? I thought it was to increase concentration. My daughter is taking prozac for social anxiety. She also has inattentive add. and pddnos. actually, the prozac started as a way to decrease symptoms from add meds. but now she only takes the prozac. Said it does help her talk to people more. But because we lost insurance we can only afford ritalin. And she can't tolerate that.

I never heard of add meds used for social "bravery". Mostly for school concentration. With my daughter she didnt like the add meds also because then she was more aware of how shy she was. Without meds she could daydream a lot more and so not feel the push to interract with peers.

· Banned
642 Posts
SA is being link dopamine, which is why alot of people aren't getting relief from convential anti-anxiety meds. Adderall works on dopamine and that is why some people are able to get some SA relief. No it not prescribed for SA

Do a search for "Dopamine is my friend" and you will find a thread with all sorts of info.

· Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
how much adderall did you take?

my tolerance has gone up so high, it's crazy. before when i would buy it through someone i was able to take like 15mg and get a really good high/energy/not much SA. over time that amount stopped working, and now if i go out i take about 30mg but it still doesn't do much in terms of give me a high, it just helps my SA a little.
I took 40mg of adderall. This is the max dose allowed daily for ADHD. I was given the prescription because I also have ADHD (predominately inattentive). This is only the third time I have taken it and I am not using it every day because I want to avoid a tolerance (even though I have been prescribed to use it daily).

How often were you using it before you felt a tolerance being built up? Were you using it daily? Have you tried stopping for a few weeks and then starting again? I am very interested to know since I am trying to avoid a tolerance like the plague.

I never heard of add meds used for social "bravery". Mostly for school concentration. With my daughter she didnt like the add meds also because then she was more aware of how shy she was. Without meds she could daydream a lot more and so not feel the push to interract with peers.
I am still trying to research the pathophysiology of SA, but some things have been established in the literature. People with SA have a reduced amount of dopamine and serotonin in certain regions of the brain. There is also an established correlation between SA and an increased likelihood of developing Parkinson's disease later in life (Parkinson's is caused by dopamine deficiency).

Adderall boosts dopamine and serotonin levels which in my experience transforms me from an introvert personality to an extrovert. It does not however eliminate the physical symptoms of anxiety for me. This may be due to its boosting of norepinephrine levels as well.

Therefore, adderall only partially fixes the problem. For the complete solution you will need to use an anxiolytic substance at the same time as the adderall. Alcohol works. I knew it would, but I have verified it definitively now. My next step will be to use a benzodiazepine instead of alcohol, but I need to wait a few more days because I am avoiding a tolerance as mentioned previously. I could discuss this in more detail but maybe in another post.

· Registered
609 Posts
yep, i remember back in the dasy taking ephedrine and valium as a combo and my SA was gone, i mean gone..i thought the 2 drugs would cancel each other out but they actually worked together, gave me energy amd motivation while squashing my anxiety..great combo...problem is tolerance and having to depend on 2 different drugs in order to go to social events...

· She-Wolf
5,984 Posts
since SA tends to vary so much for people, i think for those who strictly struggle with severe anxiety, rather than shyness/lack of social skills, then adderall may just make it worse. it does increase adrenaline, which is basically that "fight-or-flight" response that we get from anxiety.
personally i like that energy though, i imagine some wouldn't. which is why a benzo is good to add as a combo to take the jitters away if they are too much to deal with.

I took 40mg of adderall. This is the max dose allowed daily for ADHD. I was given the prescription because I also have ADHD (predominately inattentive). This is only the third time I have taken it and I am not using it every day because I want to avoid a tolerance (even though I have been prescribed to use it daily).

How often were you using it before you felt a tolerance being built up? Were you using it daily? Have you tried stopping for a few weeks and then starting again? I am very interested to know since I am trying to avoid a tolerance like the plague.
i'd take it 1-3 times a week, usually on weekends or sometimes weekdays when i would go out in the evenings or if i just had a lot of work to do. i've been doing that for about five months i'd estimate.
it's actually weird that my tolerance has gone up so much, since i wouldn't take it every day - i'm also pretty small, just under 100 pounds. i'm on a couple mood stablizers on top of that, but i don't think that would suddenly have an effect.

i've been using it daily since i got a prescription. i have noticed in the past that when i take it for several days then stop, i feel really awful the next day. i've had many sundays where i felt very achy and weak as well as my mood being pretty low, from being out the night or two before (but i'd also drink and sometimes take a benzo on top of that, which would make it worse). so i'd rather not skip a day.

what's also very frustrating about this, is that i can't exactly tell my doctor that i know i have a very high tolerance. as i would have to come clean about me buying it illegally for several months. it took me a really long time for him to understand and even just take my severe concentration/memory/attention problems seriously - which maybe you've experienced as well having ADHD-PI, since a lot of pdocs seem uneducated about it - so i know if i tell him i was taking it already it's very possible that all of that effort will go down the drain and he'll assume that i either wanted it for the high, or that even if i needed it i will just abuse it, etc, etc.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.