Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Australian
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering how many people have tried to overcome their SA with desensitization?

What I mean by this is going out to social events often where new people are going to be around until you feel comfortable in all new situations.

I'm thinking about getting myself involved in more social events, I'm going to try and meet lots and lots of different people until it hopefully becomes second nature.

Has this ever worked for anyone?
If so how bad was your SA before hand?

·
(/・・)ノ 
1,840 Posts
It's often referred to as exposure therapy.

AKA "Just do it"

It works, but I still can't carry a conversation. So instead of being bored alone I get bored with a group of people :)

·
Registered
759 Posts
I was just wondering how many people have tried to overcome their SA with desensitization?

What I mean by this is going out to social events often where new people are going to be around until you feel comfortable in all new situations.

I'm thinking about getting myself involved in more social events, I'm going to try and meet lots and lots of different people until it hopefully becomes second nature.

Has this ever worked for anyone?
If so how bad was your SA before hand?
Really, that is the ONLY way to overcome SA. Intensive exposure. I have not done this yet, I am still hiding from life.

·
insert witty comment here
6,235 Posts
It's working for me. I take sports classes several times a week to be around lots of people. I have also found this little social circle I go out with. I try to do that once a week. It is getting easier. You see that same behaviours time and again and after a while you just shrug it off.

I'd say go for it. Start with something managable and then move on to bigger and better things.

·
Hmm.
459 Posts
I think if you have milder SA this will help you get out of your shell as you'll eventually get the experience you need to figure things out for yourself. If it's bad SA I feel like you'd just continuously shut down and it would make things worse. Probably the baby steps approach is better for them.

·
Australian
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This seems like the solution to me. I do pretty well making friends normally. I just worry too much about what I'm doing and saying to them when in a conversation and I find myself analyzing every social situation to massive extents.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.