Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm new to this forum so I wanted to give some background on me and whether you think I have social anxiety. I saw a general doctor about a year ago and she told me I had generalized anxiety.

So, some things about my behavior that I feel are questionable are as follows:

When sitting in my car at a red light I start to get really anxious when people pull next to me and start surrounding me.

In college I have to sit in the back of class or I will be extremely anxious throughout the entire lecture. If I sit in the middle or front I feel like everyone behind me and next to me is staring at me and I can't focus on the lecture.

When I was living in my dorms I would take the flight of stairs all the way to the seventh floor instead of the elevator. If there was sombeody on the elevator I get anxious in a small space and feel really jittery and uncomfortable.

In class if there is a teacher that calls on people in cass I avoid all eye contact with the teacher and pretend I am highlighting things in my book to avoid being called on.

If I am called on in class I get extremely red, jittery and anxious when people turn to look at me. I can't say what I really think and only say one or two word answers, if anything.

These are just a few situations that are uncomfortable for me. If this sounds like social anxiety how do I go about getting help through medication/therapy. When I tried last time the psychiatrist said I need a referral so would I go to a general doctor and ask for a referral? Thank you for your help!

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
Welcome, DJ51234! :)

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
Hey dj51234 welcome. :hyper

1 - 4 of 4 Posts